• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oh my aching back

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
For the past few months Ive been bothered by lower back pain. I had to stop my workouts, and it got to the point where I couldn't even sleep on my right side, because of the aches. It took me about a few months of working out these back exercises until the pain mostly went away. Now, I can sleep better, but I'm still getting the occasional aches. Does anyone else have this problem, or is just me?

These are vids from youtube that's helped me out a lot.

How old are you and do you have a beer gut?

I know back pain. I've had lower back pain/bulging discs since my 20's. When I was 30 I had a herniated disc in my neck which required surgery - fused a piece of my hip bone between c3-c4. When I was 35 I separated my shoulder skiing requiring surgery. The next year I fell skiing again and broke the collarbone on the same shoulder I had separated the year before.

I haven't used pain meds in 20 years. I have trouble sleeping, but learned to sleep on my good side which helps. The only thing doctors offer me is physical therapy and pain meds. I've found walking and stretching to be helpful. I quit going to chiropractors 15 years ago because it gave me a weird headache for some reason, and I never like the violent bone cracking, which sometimes provided temporary relief, but I always ha to go back. Chiropractics, for me anyways, only seems to be a weekly maintenance expense that never lasted.

One thing you might look at is acupuncture. At least try it. I was surprised to find it helped. I don't know why, but whenever my back really flairs up, I go in (3-4 times a year) and it just works. I really can't explain it, but it helps. The other thing that has been helpful is using a quality TENS unit. It sends pulses of electricity through stick on electrodes. 15 minutes of TENS helps a lot when my back is aching.

I am blessed. Never suffered from back pain. I understand after headache it us the most common pain.

Reactions: PoS
For the past few months Ive been bothered by lower back pain. I had to stop my workouts, and it got to the point where I couldn't even sleep on my right side, because of the aches. It took me about a few months of working out these back exercises until the pain mostly went away. Now, I can sleep better, but I'm still getting the occasional aches. Does anyone else have this problem, or is just me?

I always hear a lot of back pain is symptomatic of other things, like a weak core or poor flexibility. Try a massage therapist instead of a chiropractor, if you want temporary relief.

See a doctor.
Nah, I can manage this. After all, plenty of experts in this forum. :LOL:

How old are you and do you have a beer gut?
Mid middle age, and no I dont have a beer gut.

I am blessed. Never suffered from back pain. I understand after headache it us the most common pain.
You lucky son of a gun. I injured my back playing varsity football when I was 17, so Ive had back problems ever since.

I get hip pain and sacro-iliac pain from time to time, usually from my couch! Get CBD only gummies and CBD cream, follow with ibuoprofen.

Also, get a TENS unit, CVS and Walgreens have them. Its a small device where you put two patches on the area of concern, and it sends electric mini shocks (you can control how strong). It works great, but pay the extra for the ones with multiple types of shocks, massaging, rolling,

Nah, I can manage this. After all, plenty of experts in this forum. :LOL:

Mid middle age, and no I dont have a beer gut.

You lucky son of a gun. I injured my back playing varsity football when I was 17, so Ive had back problems ever since.

My right knee at 16. It's so weak it won't hold straight as I sleep at night. Aches in a sad way.

I get hip pain and sacro-iliac pain from time to time, usually from my couch! Get CBD only gummies and CBD cream, follow with ibuoprofen.

Also, get a TENS unit, CVS and Walgreens have them. Its a small device where you put two patches on the area of concern, and it sends electric mini shocks (you can control how strong). It works great, but pay the extra for the ones with multiple types of shocks, massaging, rolling,
CBD only? Where is the FUN in that ;)

Among other things, POS, I was bopped by a freight train when I was 16. Stretching, stretching, and more stretching, especially if you're lifting weights in your workout routine. And I 'highly' suggest you take @ASHES' advice, and never, ever go to a chiropractor. One bad jerk of the spinal area, and things can go south very, very quickly.

Im an expat in a country where the gubmint wants to kill anyone who takes even a whiff of pot, so this may not be the best solution lol.

Among other things, POS, I was bopped by a freight train when I was 16. Stretching, stretching, and more stretching, especially if you're lifting weights in your workout routine. And I 'highly' suggest you take @ASHES' advice, and never, ever go to a chiropractor. One bad jerk of the spinal area, and things can go south very, very quickly.
Really? Chiropractors are the devil now? I thought their specialty is helping people with these kinds of problems?

Im an expat in a country where the gubmint wants to kill anyone who takes even a whiff of pot, so this may not be the best solution lol.

Really? Chiropractors are the devil now? I thought their specialty is helping people with these kinds of problems?
Chiropractors have been scammers from the start. The entire premise is based on nonsense magic, so if they tell people what it really is, they'd laugh themselves right out of the office. So now they generally just practice unlicensed physiotherapy, which is mostly harmless, but the ones that still believe the nonsense, they do serious damage.

I'll only speak for my personal experience, POS. When I had a serious back injury after a vehicle accident, when I went to a chiropractor, that guy yanked on one of legs so hard, it actually ruptured 2 discs in my lower back, that weren't there on the X-Rays taken before I was sent there. My neuro-surgeon told me I should have sued him for malpractice. That said, I've also had friends and acquaintances who swear by them. But, personally, I would never, ever go back to one, especially with any type of spinal injury. One bad pull, and some really bad things can happen.

Pos, I had back ache for years, though it came and went. I am not sure what one fix ended up working, and I tried just about everything, but one thing seems to prove consistent in helping. Shoes. I walk a lot. I bought a pair of Merrell Moabs over there at the old store in Causeway Bay, HK a few years ago. With the exception of hip pain that I suddenly started getting recently after sleeping in bed, the back pain is gone. I even took my black dress wing tips for work to a shoe repair and put the same kind of Vibram soles on them as are present on my Merrell's. Stretching, watching my weight, walking...I am sure it is overall a combination of many things, but since watching the shoes I wear, especially the soles they have, back pain seems to have disappeared after all of these years.

Have you tried tiger balm?

PoS, this might help as well. I learned this years ago from a yogi and it worked.
zetaCatandCobraStretch500x.jpg

Pos, I had back ache for years, though it came and went. I am not sure what one fix ended up working, and I tried just about everything, but one thing seems to prove consistent in helping. Shoes. I walk a lot. I bought a pair of Merrell Moabs over there at the old store in Causeway Bay, HK a few years ago. With the exception of hip pain that I suddenly started getting recently after sleeping in bed, the back pain is gone. I even took my black dress wing tips for work to a shoe repair and put the same kind of Vibram soles on them as are present on my Merrell's. Stretching, watching my weight, walking...I am sure it is overall a combination of many things, but since watching the shoes I wear, especially the soles they have, back pain seems to have disappeared after all of these years.
Good point. Until my back started aching I used to do 3 mile runs with Air Jordans. Perhaps I might look into using new shoes in my future workouts.

Have you tried tiger balm?
Nope. Should I?

PoS, this might help as well. I learned this years ago from a yogi and it worked.
View attachment 67420826
Oh I do those very same yoga poses daily for years, which is why Im surprised that my back gave out.

Don't stop your workouts. If you were dead lifting, stop doing that, but don't stop your workouts. When you have back pain, you want to do everything you can to strengthen your back. Rows, lat pulls, goblet squats, loaded caries, farmers caries, pull-ups, chin-ups, front squats... Also tons of core training. Literally everything you can safely do to strengthen your back and core. The nice thing about your back is that it is well supplied with blood, so it heals very quickly compared to other parts of your body.

My back has been broken and I have significant damage to my disks where it was broken. Yet, I have no back pain today. When my back was broken, I stopped lifting for about 5 weeks (and that was only because my scapula was shattered as well, and I had several broken ribs). I resumed strength training as soon as I could stand it. What often happens with people is that they hurt their back, and then they rest it a lot. They start feeling better, but their back muscles atrophy, which only bakes in future back problems. Nothing protects your back like a strong back does.

A foam roller to roll your back before and after training it helps a lot as well.

Sounds silly - but how old is your mattress and the pillows you sleep on?

My husband was having awful back pain (he has a bad back to start with thanks to getting hit by a backhoe on a job site years ago) and we bought a new, more firm mattress - it has made a world of difference for him.

Also, if you spend a lot of time on a computer - make sure that you're sitting in a GOOD seat and have things set up ergonomically. If the height of your monitor/chair is wrong, you could be putting strain on your back during the day without even realizing it.

Back
Top Bottom