• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oh Flori-duh!

There's actually a lot of truth to that. My wife works at a senior facility (not in Fla) that has instituted and still maintains the harshest of protocols since March. People have been moving out because they are sick and tired of it. Most realize this is the twilight of their life and they can't even see their families. So they are moving out to more friendly facilities or in with family. The facility is now less than half occupied.

I know there is

They're sick of it like we all are

My own mother(76) has said, " If I get it I get it"

I know there is

They're sick of it like we all are

My own mother(76) has said, " If I get it I get it"

Yep. If you're old enough, you've been through worse things than this.

Ignorance on Full Display.... Maybe we are just witnessing the Right Wing Cult following their Right Wing Political Cult Leaders... and this is "Their Cool Aid"... they "willfully drink" !!!!

Three weeks.

With all the seniors down there, this is unconscionable.
The Florida AARP organization did a survey a week ago and among Florida's senior population and Trump held a very small margin over Joe Biden, 50 percent to 47 percent but that is a much closer margin than how Trump did with seniors against Hillary Clinton four years ago. Lifting restrictions, particularly mask restrictions is going to result in more seniors dying in Florida than should die and all due to Covid-19. Wealthy retirees in Florida have historically voted Republican because they're confident that Republicans will make laws that protect their wealth, not usurp it. But this time around their health and well-being supersedes the protections of their financial security. It's a whole new ballgame in Florida this time around.

Hedonistic Heathen's ---- !!! and their impatience to pursue pleasure with a savage driven devotion to pursue it at all cost with regard for nothing and no one other than their lust for pleasure..

These are the people who can't deal with "Safety Regulations Over A Period of Time"....

Not as serious as losing your life.
Got anything other than mindless slogans? Ten of millions have lost their jobs, houses and businesses.

What's this got to do with the topic at hand?

The thread is a criticism of Florida rescinding their COVID lock downs, is it not?
From what I've heard recently batted around the Internet firmament is that New York's COVID death rate is far higher than Florida's.
Might be instructive to compare the two?

The thread is a criticism of Florida rescinding their COVID lock downs, is it not?
From what I've heard recently batted around the Internet firmament is that New York's COVID death rate is far higher than Florida's.
Might be instructive to compare the two?
eohrnberger, why are you beating on this? Yes, it' very instructive.

You've seen my posts above, and I'm sure you know yourself, that NYC was caught unawares in the very beginning, got hit hard, got a handle on it, and now is leading the nation in safety. Conversely, we saw FL get relatively missed by the early infection, not learn a lesson from others, and become an abject lesson in how to scew-up to the point they are now performing catastrophically worse than NY and among the very worst in the nation.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove, here?

Last edited:
There's actually a lot of truth to that. My wife works at a senior facility (not in Fla) that has instituted and still maintains the harshest of protocols since March. People have been moving out because they are sick and tired of it. Most realize this is the twilight of their life and they can't even see their families. So they are moving out to more friendly facilities or in with family. The facility is now less than half occupied.
That's a fair response on their part. They should move out, rather than jeopardize those that prefer the more stringent mitigation. They're voting with their feet (and dollars), which is the right way to handle it. It's better than having two groups of residents having differing levels of mitigation. That will never work, and everyone will be at the less stringent level - whether they like it or not.

eohrnberger, why are you beating on this? Yes, it' very instructive.

You've seen my posts above, and I'm sure you know yourself, that NYC was caught unawares in the very beginning, got hit hard, got a handle on it, and now is leading the nation in safety. Conversely, we saw FL get relatively missed by the early infection, not learn a lesson from others, and become an abject lesson in how to scew-up to the point they are now performing catastrophically worse than NY and among the very worst in the nation.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove, here?

The difference between the public policies implemented.
DeSantis in Florida implemented a public policy which sent COVID infected elderly to the hospital for proper care, and reducing transmission rates and risk in Florida elderly care facilities, resulting in a lower death rate.

Cuomo in New York implemented a public policy which sent COVID infected elderly to ill-equipped elderly care facilities to greater transmission rates and risk to New York elderly.

And yet, DeSantis is roundly criticized by the media for his handling of the pandemic and Cuomo roundly applauded for his handling of the pandemic.

AG Barr Rips National Media as a 'Collection of Liars ...
www.realclearpolitics.com › 2020/09/12 › ag_barr_rips...

Sep 13, 2020 - Wrapping up a three-day tour in Chicago, Phoenix and Cleveland Friday, Attorney General Bill Barr took on the media during an exclusive ...

So Barr is spot on.

Further, I'd have more confidence in DeSantis' judgement and less confidence in Cuomo's judgement, given the above track record.

So Florida opening up, and reducing the lock down measures would not appear how the media is making it out to be. Further, most people aren't stupid, and can judge their risk exposure to the virus as they've judged their risk exposure to any number of things their entire adult lives, and should be free to do so without further government interference, such as https://debatepolitics.com/threads/finally-mom-tased-for-not-wearing-a-mask.421764/

Got anything other than mindless slogans? Ten of millions have lost their jobs, houses and businesses.
Tens of millions have lost their jobs, can you show us a link to where they also lost their houses and businesses? You sir are a perfect example of why I find republican politics disgusting. You speak of houses and businesses while you call over two hundred thousand dead americans a slogan. Hillary had it correct, many on the right are deplorable and you are one.

I read all the time and I am a Senior, anything else you want to add?

🤷‍♂️ You seem to have had a charmed life. That's great and I wish you continued prosperity.

🤷‍♂️ You seem to have had a charmed life. That's great and I wish you continued prosperity.
I have done well, thanks, it has all been due to hard work and applying common sense over a lifetime.

Tens of millions have lost their jobs, can you show us a link to where they also lost their houses and businesses? You sir are a perfect example of why I find republican politics disgusting. You speak of houses and businesses while you call over two hundred thousand dead americans a slogan. Hillary had it correct, many on the right are deplorable and you are one.
"A link?" Are you hidden in a underground bunker? How about checking unemployment numbers? Drive down main street and notice the closed businesses many of those aren't coming back; the daily news seems to have at least a story a day about permanently closing businesses. Calling me names, sir, doesn't change the facts. You're mindless devotion to the looney left is what is truly deplorable .

It's good to get out of your shell, but you need to read things you post.

Interesting fact free rant, but every bit of that was straight off a fake news site. Do you ever think for yourself?

Excuse me? If anyone is to assert facts are missing, it is not the person who avoids making an argument of how the facts support their view, i.e., how 14,000 dead and nearing 700,000 positives is “doing well.” Yet, this is exactly what you’ve done.

In addition, anyone who is going to bloviate about “think for yourself” isn’t the person who ostensibly isn’t doing any thinking at all. Did you actually think you’d be able to persuasively claim Florida has done “well” with over 14,000 dead and nearing 700,000 positives without having to figure out how that’s true? You evidently could not be bothered to think how those numbers do or do not support your claim, you know, thinking critically as to how those numbers fit your narrative and how people may attack your argument.

Oh wait, I forgot, you made the ineluctable argument since NY has higher numbers then Florida has done “well.” The Florida isn’t as bad as NY so it cannot be bad, argument. As stated before, the fact NY sucks doesn’t mean Florida cannot suck although it presently doesn’t suck as bad as NY. This argument suffers from myopia, as it cannot see how Florida can still suck although NY can suck worse.

Me? Yeah, I’ve thought for myself. Looking at entire nations, nations, which have substantially better numbers than Florida, gives us a point of reference of what a successful approach to the virus looks like.

I also used facts to explain the differences between NY and FL, specially NYC, which make a comparison between the two states problematic.

That’s “thinking for myself.” Your retorts have not engaged the facts, have not cited to any facts, and are devoid of any cogent reasoning. And alleging BS isn’t cogent reasoning.

More stunning is you haven’t even hit the vulnerable parts of my argument, maybe because for your bloviating of “think for yourself,” you can’t be bothered to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excuse me? If anyone is to assert facts are missing, it is not the person who avoids making an argument of how the facts support their view, i.e., how 14,000 dead and nearing 700,000 positives is “doing well.” Yet, this is exactly what you’ve done. In addition, anyone who is going to bloviate about “think for yourself” isn’t the person who ostensibly isn’t doing any thinking at all. Did you actually think you’d be able to persuasively claim Florida has done “well” with over 14,000 dead and nearing 700,000 positives without having to figure out how that’s true? You evidently could not be bothered to think how those numbers do or do not support your claim, you know, thinking critically as to how those numbers fit your narrative and how people may attack your argument. Oh wait, I forgot, you made the ineluctable argument since NY has higher numbers then Florida has done “well.” The Florida isn’t as bad as NY so it cannot be bad, argument. As stated before, the fact NY sucks doesn’t mean Florida cannot suck although it presently doesn’t suck as bad as NY. This argument suffers from myopia, as it cannot see how Florida can still suck although NY can suck worse. Me? Yeah, I’ve thought for myself. Looking at entire nations, nations, which have substantially better numbers than Florida, gives us a point of reference of what a successful approach to the virus looks like. I also used facts to explain the differences between NY and FL, specially NYC, which make a comparison between the two states problematic. That’s “thinking for myself.” Your retorts have not engaged the facts, have not cited to any facts, and are devoid of any cogent reasoning. And alleging BS isn’t cogent reasoning. More stunning is you haven’t even hit the vulnerable parts of my argument, maybe because for your bloviating of “think for yourself,” you can’t be bothered to do it.
Another long tirade and every bit of it straight out of the cult's talking points. No facts, nor any attempt to connect dots, just a long rant.

You need to get out more. If you don't check both National Review and New Republic then you aren't doing your homework.

Back
Top Bottom