• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Officials Seizing Russian Yachts Now May Steal Americans' Property in the Future

Schism

Destroyer of Propaganda
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Officials Seizing Russian Yachts Now May Steal Americans' Property in the Future
"Serious legal questions surround the seizures of boats, planes and other property owned by oligarchs," warns George Washington University Law School's Jonathan Turley. "In these largely uncharted waters, many of the owners are likely to get back their yachts and other property after the headlines have receded. The United States and Western countries have considerable authority to seize property, but less authority to keep it. The reason is that, unlike Russia, these countries are bound by property rights and rules of due process."

True, few people harbor much sympathy for Russians of any sort these days; Rep. Eric Swalwell (D–Calif.) infamously called for expelling Russian students from the country. And owning a yacht that can be seized, let alone one worth $90 million, doesn't guarantee much sympathy from the public. But being rich doesn't erase your rights, and it means that you have the resources to defend yourself in ways not always available to regular people subject to official attention.

A slippery slope that nobody cares about until it's turned on you.

They can take my super yacht and my French villa and even my private Caribbean island?!?!?!???

Oh, wait. I don't have any of those. Suddenly I don't care.

They can seize anything they want, including your trailer, 1995 Civic, and your stash of Archie comics.

That's the reason to stop it? The screws need to be put to them even harder than this!

Personal rights, property rights, and a presumption of innocence are hallmarks of our democracy and judicial system.

It's important for people to know that the left don't believe in those rights, as evidenced by your reply.

Personal rights, property rights, and a presumption of innocence are hallmarks of our democracy and judicial system.

It's important for people to know that the left don't believe in those rights, as evidenced by your reply.

I feel just awful for your evil billionaire oligarchs.

Now let's take a look at what all started this. Where is your outrage of Putin seizing Ukraine and killing their citizens without any due process?

At what point are you willing to toss out ethics, law, and integrity to respond to any given action by another person?

Should police and prosecutors act illegally when a crime is severe, or are they held to a standard regardless?

I don't think the ACLU thinks it's really a problem to seize the assets of war-mongering oligarchs to prevent further invasions/attacks.

What is an oligarch and what is their crime?

At what point are you willing to toss out ethics, law, and integrity to respond to any given action by another person?

Should police and prosecutors act illegally when a crime is severe, or are they held to a standard regardless?

At what point are you willing to stop a mad man like Putin?

What is an oligarch and what is their crime?

Already shown, the US has put sanctions on Russia and Russian oligarch's use their power and money to continue to finance Russia through back door means. Therefore the US, to enforce sanctions, will seize that loophole.

Back
Top Bottom