• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Officials say "okay" to processed chicken from China

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Chickens raised in the USA and Canada can now be slaughtered in those countries, then sent to China to be processed, and returned here for domestic consumption, all without labeling their country of origin as anything but the US or Canada.

Ain't that a great idea, though? Kill the birds, then send them half way around the world to be processed in a country that doesn't have to put up with the pesky health inspectors from the USA, but don't tell consumers where the final product came from.

Link

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) quietly announced on Aug. 29 that it has lifted the ban on processed poultry imports from China.
As the New York Times first reported, the products will be offered without a country-of-origin label. The chickens will still be raised in the U.S., Canada or Chile (the only countries approved by the USDA), but can be processed in China because USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) auditors have approved four Chinese poultry plants to start exporting processed poultry to the U.S.

Chickens raised in the USA and Canada can now be slaughtered in those countries, then sent to China to be processed, and returned here for domestic consumption, all without labeling their country of origin as anything but the US or Canada.

Ain't that a great idea, though? Kill the birds, then send them half way around the world to be processed in a country that doesn't have to put up with the pesky health inspectors from the USA, but don't tell consumers where the final product came from.

Link
No more chicken for me. :(

Chicken is now going the way of fish, which come from Vietnam and are fed human waste.

China's export methodology is to start out with very good products and then after a period of time, to start saving money by enormously decreasing the quality. Which is why when you break tools or bolts, you often find cold joints.

One's imagination can run wild with what the Chinese will do to save money on raising exported chickens.

I wish we had some sort of elected body that would protect Americans from sub-standard foreign imports.

Chicken is now going the way of fish, which come from Vietnam and are fed human waste.

China's export methodology is to start out with very good products and then after a period of time, to start saving money by enormously decreasing the quality. Which is why when you break tools or bolts, you often find cold joints.

One's imagination can run wild with what the Chinese will do to save money on raising exported chickens.

I wish we had some sort of elected body that would protect Americans from sub-standard foreign imports.

You mean a government that actually protected us from the machinations of others, rather than trying to protect us from ourselves?

Link

Agree. This is not a good idea.

Link

what does that tell you? how is it cheaper to ship a chicken half way around the world kill it and send it back and make money doing so. we need to look at what makes it cheaper to do just that

Link

I predict imminent disaster when a wave of sickness, or worse, is tracked back to one of these products. This was a horrible decision, and heads should roll. :2mad:

Link

Well, I guess it's about time to build that chicken house I've been thinking about, and start raising/killing/collecting my own food. Seriously.

No more chicken for me. :(

We might just start raising our own.

By the way, WTF is wrong with these people?
smiley.gif

[edit] lizzie beat me to it. Great minds, lizzie.

We might just start raising our own.

By the way, WTF is wrong with these people?
smiley.gif

[edit] lizzie beat me to it. Great minds, lizzie.

I seriously have been planning to do it, and this could very well be the catalyst. Chickens processed in the US are filthy enough. I can't imagine how much worse it will be when this happens.

With all the subsidies we give to farming corporations, you'd think at least we could eat our OWN food products instead of importing them from overseas. They should be cheap enough! :confused:

With all the subsidies we give to farming coYou'rporations, you'd think at least we could eat our OWN food products instead of importing them from overseas.

You'd think so, but apparently, the Chinese need the jobs more than we do. (sarcasm)

a country that doesn't have to put up with the pesky health inspectors from the USA

From your article: "USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) auditors have approved four Chinese poultry plants[.]"

I seriously have been planning to do it, and this could very well be the catalyst. Chickens processed in the US are filthy enough. I can't imagine how much worse it will be when this happens.

We've been planning it too. We already buy all our eggs from a local producer, and have been contemplating it for ourselves because we go through so many of them. That and we personally know at least 3 other families who also have their own chickens, so there's lots of community support for it. Supplement that with local wild halibut, salmon, deer and moose and we feel very happy with our protein sources.

But this **** still makes me angry on behalf of the unwitting grocery shoppers across the nation. I yearn for our culture around food production and consumption to change and actively reject the crap the federal government is pulling on behalf of agribusiness giants, chemical companies and food conglomerates.

You'd think so, but apparently, the Chinese need the jobs more than we do. (sarcasm)

You don't get it, do you? The reason for this is to help keep American jobs. The trade-off is that we keep the Chinese market open to American chicken exports.

what does that tell you? how is it cheaper to ship a chicken half way around the world kill it and send it back and make money doing so. we need to look at what makes it cheaper to do just that

The lack of illegal immigrants to work for slave wages in the US I would imagine.

You don't get it, do you? The reason for this is to help keep American jobs. The trade-off is that we keep the Chinese market open to American chicken exports.

So what are we planning to do with all the processors here? Put them into management positions? ;)

So what are we planning to do with all the processors here? Put them into management positions? ;)

On balance, it's a net gain. Unless you're aware of some other market that will pay as much for chicken feet as the Chinese.

Well, I guess it's about time to build that chicken house I've been thinking about, and start raising/killing/collecting my own food. Seriously.

or at least buy fresh chicken from the local butcher shop and cook it yourself.

With all the subsidies we give to farming corporations, you'd think at least we could eat our OWN food products instead of importing them from overseas.

They are our own food products. It's just that they're shipped half way around the world and back to simply prepare them.

They should be cheap enough! :confused:

Nothing will ever be cheaper than macro, automated factory food production processes systematically stuffing obese zombie animals to the gills to fatten them up and then killing and processing them in mind-boggling vast quantities. If we're shooting for global efficiency of food production and distribution, and want to separate shopper/consumers from the realities of what they're eating, we are doing amazingly well.

If you think there's something wrong with that, then walking through the average grocery store should make you feel sick and angry, as should news like this thread.

Last edited:

Then, let's require a label to be prominently displayed reading "processed in China." Let the consumer decide.

china doesn't need our chickens for gods sake. we are not going to make money on a product they are more then capable to produce them selves. we are talking about chickens they are more then capable to raise and kill their own chickens any third world nation can raise chickens

Then, let's require a label to be prominently displayed reading "processed in China." Let the consumer decide.

Or even a "distance this food product traveled to get to you" label.

In the case of the chickens we ship half way around the world to get chopped up by the Chinese, the label for chicken in New York would say:

"This food product traveled 13,684 miles to get from its point of harvest to you."

OMG, the day I built my own chicken house at my house would be the day chickens started dying of old age.

Back
Top Bottom