• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Official: Water complaints could be 'act of terrorism'

You and I may not always agree, but we always have civil discourse and show mutual respect.

So, please take this comment in the helpful, friendly manner it is intended.

Lately you've taken to posting just a link. I strongly suggest that you post at least one paragraph from the article so we can see what it's all about before heading off to that link. Some things will be more interesting and some less, but a bit of insight plus a bit of your persoective will create a more valuable discussion.

"We take water quality very seriously. Very, very seriously," said Sherwin Smith, deputy director of TDEC's Division of Water Resources, according to audio recorded by attendees. "But you need to make sure that when you make water quality complaints you have a basis, because federally, if there's no water quality issues, that can be considered under Homeland Security an act of terrorism."

OK, this is a stupid comment from a nobody bureaucrat. DHS will not be arresting anyone for water quality complaints. As ridiculous as this country has become, there are limits to our stupidity. Any one person can say anything but that doesn't make it real or meaningful. It reminds me of the guy who said women couldn't be raped (Akin?) and a big deal was made because one idiot said something. Until it becomes policy or is vote on by some actual government agency, some nit-wit should not be able to grab our attention. A water district "deputy director" has no authority, he is just babbling so he can get paid to make a speech. I'm sure you didn't express your opinion because this is a total non-issue and thus non-discussable.

Respectfully,
Specklebang

You and I may not always agree, but we always have civil discourse and show mutual respect.

So, please take this comment in the helpful, friendly manner it is intended.

Lately you've taken to posting just a link. I strongly suggest that you post at least one paragraph from the article so we can see what it's all about before heading off to that link. Some things will be more interesting and some less, but a bit of insight plus a bit of your persoective will create a more valuable discussion.
I sometimes do add comment, and used to more than I do now, but have backed off from doing so. It has been my experience that when I offer comments some people simply want to be argumentative for argument sake, and will disagree with whatever position I take just to amuse themselves, and even if it's contrary to what their position would most naturally be. I have found that the discussion starts off more honestly when only the issue is offered as it requires people to be more honest in their initial responses, and the thread as it unwinds tends to be a better thread overall. I will then usually jump in before long and participate myself.

In a general sense, too, I'll admit that I like seeing what other people's honest reactions are when not influenced by mine or other's thoughts.

I know there are a few here who dislike this approach, and I understand why, but I grew tired of posts 2 thru 10 being a bunch of juvenile crap that sometimes ended up thwarting the entire thread.

No offense taken on my part, btw. :)

OK, this is a stupid comment from a nobody bureaucrat. DHS will not be arresting anyone for water quality complaints. As ridiculous as this country has become, there are limits to our stupidity. Any one person can say anything but that doesn't make it real or meaningful. It reminds me of the guy who said women couldn't be raped (Akin?) and a big deal was made because one idiot said something. Until it becomes policy or is vote on by some actual government agency, some nit-wit should not be able to grab our attention. A water district "deputy director" has no authority, he is just babbling so he can get paid to make a speech. I'm sure you didn't express your opinion because this is a total non-issue and thus non-discussable.

Respectfully,
Specklebang
It seems absurd that anything like this could happen, but I'm not so sure anymore. Our courts are full precisely because stuff similar to this needs to be challenged and struck down on an ever-increasing basis. Apathy and non-reaction encourages people like this bureaucrat to go forward with their ideas. Eternal vigilance is what keeps things reasonably in control. Hence, if it were a non-issue, I wouldn't have posted it.

I hate when that happens.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Maybe its just me. Still, how about at least a quote so I can decide wether I want to pursue the topic or not?

I must admit I 'm interested in other peoples thoughts. When it just becomes an Obamabashathon, I lose interest. But I do like to know what other peoples thoughts re and I've come here to learn and to sometimes be influenced by other peoples well articulated positions. I don't "know everything".

Thanks for being open-minded and responding.

I sometimes do add comment, and used to more than I do now, but have backed off from doing so. It has been my experience that when I offer comments some people simply want to be argumentative for argument sake, and will disagree with whatever position I take just to amuse themselves, and even if it's contrary to what their position would most naturally be. I have found that the discussion starts off more honestly when only the issue is offered as it requires people to be more honest in their initial responses, and the thread as it unwinds tends to be a better thread overall. I will then usually jump in before long and participate myself.

In a general sense, too, I'll admit that I like seeing what other people's honest reactions are when not influenced by mine or other's thoughts.

I know there are a few here who dislike this approach, and I understand why, but I grew tired of posts 2 thru 10 being a bunch of juvenile crap that sometimes ended up thwarting the entire thread.

No offense taken on my part, btw. :)

It seems absurd that anything like this could happen, but I'm not so sure anymore. Our courts are full precisely because stuff similar to this needs to be challenged and struck down on an ever-increasing basis. Apathy and non-reaction encourages people like this bureaucrat to go forward with their ideas. Eternal vigilance is what keeps things reasonable in control. Hence, if it were a non-issue, I wouldn't have posted it.

I hate when that happens.

I think that Deputy Director has been drinking the douche water again.

Fair enough. Maybe its just me. Still, how about at least a quote so I can decide wether I want to pursue the topic or not?

I must admit I 'm interested in other peoples thoughts. When it just becomes an Obamabashathon, I lose interest. But I do like to know what other peoples thoughts re and I've come here to learn and to sometimes be influenced by other peoples well articulated positions. I don't "know everything".

Thanks for being open-minded and responding.
You're welcome. I was a little reluctant to respond because last time I did 3 people followed me around for about a week criticizing all my threads... which I found humorous because one of the three is also a guilty party for doing the whole juvenile argumentative thing to begin with.

No, I won't name names.

Back
Top Bottom