• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Official runoff election for President [W:100]

Read the OP

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is now official my duties as president pro tem of the convention are now concluded. Thanks much for your cooperation and assistance. :cheers:

Here is the official vote count for the Debate Politics Constitutional Convention Presidential runoff after taking changed votes into consideration:

sangha (42)
Paleocon (21)
invalid votes (4)

(Raw data is available upon request. Both candidates have already received the raw data for their inspection.)

Jango's declaration is pending. We must await his declaration, since his vote is contested.

I have sent Jango a PM, telling him to declare his vote in this thread.

Jango's declaration is pending. We must await his declaration, since his vote is contested.

I have sent Jango a PM, telling him to declare his vote in this thread.

A PM to a candidate is not sufficient proof. PM's cannot be shared thus nobody can verify your claim. There is also a conflict of interest that is easy to see from the outside. Jango's vote cannot be verified. The poll has already closed. It is too late for him to cast a vote.

A PM to a candidate is not sufficient proof. PM's cannot be shared thus nobody can verify your claim. There is also a conflict of interest that is easy to see from the outside. Jango's vote cannot be verified. The poll has already closed. It is too late for him to cast a vote.

PirateMK1 instructed you to count his vote if it affected the outcome.

After he clarifies it.

I am still of the opinion that we do not really have an issue here. If a VP is needed then why is that not its own election between candidates?
Kinda wondered that myself.

Although I believe that the original setup in the USA involved the losing presidential candidate becoming the VP.

It is now official my duties as president pro tem of the convention are now concluded. Thanks much for your cooperation and assistance. :cheers:

Wish you the best.

sangha and I are working on this issue right now.

Paleocon is correct, I voted for him. There is no dispute about that, just that I was unable to cast an official vote here in this very poll.

Paleocon is correct, I voted for him. There is no dispute about that, just that I was unable to cast an official vote here in this very poll.

Thanks for clarifying your position even if it is a little late. :) Make sure you don't miss the election that we are having now. We are currently voting on whether we are going to have a Vice President.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/us-constitution/210248-official-poll-do-we-need-vp.html

There were other votes that weren't able to be counted. Maybe things will work better this time around.

Thank you for clarifying this. Now the count is 42 to 22 and I can assume office as Vice-President.

Kinda wondered that myself.

Although I believe that the original setup in the USA involved the losing presidential candidate becoming the VP.

While technically you are correct, what you are witnessing in this exercise is the exact reason the concept was abandoned very quickly.

What we have effectively done here in this convention here at DP is prove why the concept was a bad one. The original process was designed so that the losing politician could engineer a way to obtain power anyway in a manner that often was adversarial to the winner of the election. The whole idea to abandon the practice was so that you did not have a Vice President behind the scenes plotting against the actions of the President. At a minimum alter the path of the convention, at worse block actions. Back then it was achieved via side bar meetings and so forth as to ensure their wishes took some sort of organization for later floor (or session) debate. Now, we can do this via PMs and so forth but the point still stands. We have made a blunder here already they knew then.

I assumed between the candidates running here we would avoid the issue, but I did not suspect that we would engage in all the exchanges and jockeying to actually get people to change their votes so we could ensure a changed outcome in the vote. Color it up in any regard, but at the end of the day we promoted changing votes to ensure a 2nd outcome.

The exercise is already broken in my opinion since we are doing the exact same thing the Founders abandoned once they realized the mistake. I looked at this with real interest on my assumption we would engage in much more spirited debate on actually forming a Constitution in today's terms. Instead, there seems to be more interest in self promotion and who has what title to the point of altering the votes. That is monumentally sad.

Because of I am removing myself from the convention.

Official Announcement from the Secretary of the Debate Politics Constitutional Convention

Here is the official vote count for the Debate Politics Constitutional Convention Presidential runoff after taking changed votes into consideration:

sangha (42)
Paleocon (21)
invalid votes (4)

It is important to remember that PM's are not counted as a vote because their confidentiality prevents them from being confirmed.

It is also important to note that Jango did not vote in the poll. No one had their vote counted if they did not vote in the poll. Jango was not the only poster who's vote wasn't counted due to its' being too late to be recorded.

PirateMk1 is no longer President. As Secretary, it is my job to determine which votes are eligible and which are not.

4 votes have been declared invalid. This data is available upon request.

There is only one vote in question. There is only one person challenging that vote. I refuse to investigate this matter at this point. Please respect the wishes of the Debate Politics Constitutional Convention.

Official Announcement from the Secretary of the Debate Politics Constitutional Convention

sangha (42)
Paleocon (21)
invalid votes (4)

It is important to remember that PM's are not counted as a vote because their confidentiality prevents them from being confirmed.

It is also important to note that Jango did not vote in the poll. No one had their vote counted if they did not vote in the poll. Jango was not the only poster who's vote wasn't counted due to its' being too late to be recorded.

PirateMk1 is no longer President. As Secretary, it is my job to determine which votes are eligible and which are not.

4 votes have been declared invalid. This data is available upon request.

There is only one vote in question. There is only one person challenging that vote. I refuse to investigate this matter at this point. Please respect the wishes of the Debate Politics Constitutional Convention.

Does the contested vote even matter? Pay my calculation Paleocon got exactly 1/3 of the cast votes.

Does the contested vote even matter? Pay my calculation Paleocon got exactly 1/3 of the cast votes.

Jango's vote ruled invalid and his vote was not the only vote that was disqualified because it came in too late. In addition, Jango never voted in the poll and his PM can not be confirmed.

You calculated correctly. Paleocon received exactly 1/3 of the votes which means that I received 2/3 of the vote. The result is that there is no VP at this time. However, I have started a poll in this forum asking if we should have a VP (a question that was never put to a vote) and if the majority of that vote is for yes, we will nominate and then elect a VP. Paleo is free to run in that election.

The other vote that was ruled invalid for coming in too late was a vote changed from Paleo to me. If that vote were allowed to count along with Jango's, then the final vote would be 43-21 and I would have more than 2/3. IOW, the 2/3 threshold was acheived either way

Last edited:
Jango's vote ruled invalid and his vote was not the only vote that was disqualified because it came in too late. In addition, Jango never voted in the poll and his PM can not be confirmed.

You calculated correctly. Paleocon received exactly 1/3 of the votes which means that I received 2/3 of the vote. The result is that there is no VP at this time. However, I have started a poll in this forum asking if we should have a VP (a question that was never put to a vote) and if the majority of that vote is for yes, we will nominate and then elect a VP. Paleo is free to run in that election.

The other vote that was ruled invalid for coming in too late was a vote changed from Paleo to me. If that vote were allowed to count along with Jango's, then the final vote would be 43-21 and I would have more than 2/3. IOW, the 2/3 threshold was acheived either way

Apologies I misremember the requirement. Thought that 1/3 was the floor for Paleocon to receive the VP not the ceiling.

Apologies I misremember the requirement. Thought that 1/3 was the floor for Paleocon to receive the VP not the ceiling.

No biggie

I just want to repeat that if you think we should have a VP, I have started a poll asking about that and would appreciate it if you would vote in that poll.

If the membership decides that we need a VP, we'll have an election for one. Paleo is free to run in that contest.

No, it would be 43-22.

17 votes were cast for me in the poll. One of these was cast by a non-member if the convention. Two of these (counting JP) changed to you. Seven votes changed to me during the time. That's 21 without Jango. With him it's 22.

No, it would be 43-22.

17 votes were cast for me in the poll. One of these was cast by a non-member if the convention. Two of these (counting JP) changed to you.

JP's vote wasn't counted

Seven votes changed to me during the time. That's 21 without Jango. With him it's 22.

Neither was Jango's

Frankly, the issue is moot. Two votes were ruled invalid (due to time limits) by the Sec'y who was elected by a large majority and who clearly has the authority to make such decisions. It could be argued that, as President, I have the authority to instruct him to count those votes, but I'm not going to over rule an officer who's doing their job after being elected with strong support except under exceptional circumstances. That's not how I roll.

I'm not a micro-manager. I'm not here to make every decision and control every thing that happens. I think people should be allowed to do their job, so this has nothing to do with what I think of you. As I said several times now, I think you've done an exceptional job here and I hope you continue to do so. I also think your contributions show that you're more than qualified for the position of VP. If the membership votes in favor of having a VP, I hope you run in that election. If you like, I offer to nominate you. I might even vote for you.

No, it would be 43-22.

17 votes were cast for me in the poll. One of these was cast by a non-member if the convention. Two of these (counting JP) changed to you. Seven votes changed to me during the time. That's 21 without Jango. With him it's 22.

You are a political genius. I look forward to seeing your contributions to the Convention. Don't be discouraged. There is most certainly a place for you in the Convention. I have no doubts about that.

I hope this issue has been addressed to your satisfaction. I did not mean to ignore your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom