• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Official: Haiti President Jovenel Moïse assassinated at home

Bum

I survived. Suck it, Schrodinger.
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) — Haitian President Jovenel Moïse was assassinated in an attack on his private residence, the country’s interim prime minister said in a statement Wednesday, calling it a “hateful, inhumane and barbaric act."
First Lady Martine Moïse was hospitalized following the overnight attack, interim Premier Claude Joseph said. The nation of more than 11 million people had grown increasingly unstable and disgruntled under Moïse.

Sad...I hope the country does not fall apart.

The country is already on the edge of falling apart, there are pockets of the nation pretty much in some phase of civil conflict with one another.

We are watching slowly collapse, and seeing an official killed in their home pretty much ends the debate on where Haiti is headed.

The country is already on the edge of falling apart, there are pockets of the nation pretty much in some phase of civil conflict with one another.

We are watching slowly collapse, and seeing an official killed in their home pretty much ends the debate on where Haiti is headed.
Haiti has been in rough shape for a long time. It's a shame really because their island-sharing sister does so much better.

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) — Haitian President Jovenel Moïse was assassinated in an attack on his private residence, the country’s interim prime minister said in a statement Wednesday, calling it a “hateful, inhumane and barbaric act."
First Lady Martine Moïse was hospitalized following the overnight attack, interim Premier Claude Joseph said. The nation of more than 11 million people had grown increasingly unstable and disgruntled under Moïse.

Sad...I hope the country does not fall apart.
someone disguised very well as a DEA agent did this.

He sat by force as Trump wanted to do. He claimed he had another year in office...he was never elected, he was placed in power after the previous president stepped down in 2017.

On the videos, someone with an American accent is heard saying in English over a megaphone, "DEA operation. Everybody stand down. DEA operation. Everybody back up, stand down."

Sources said the assailants, one of whom spoke in English with an American accent, were not with the DEA.

"These were mercenaries," a high-ranking Haitian government official said.

How do they know that they weren't with the DEA? How do they know they weren't CIA? US accents are gained only in one fashion....living here. They also spoke Spanish, which many DEA agents actually do speak Spanish.

On the videos, someone with an American accent is heard saying in English over a megaphone, "DEA operation. Everybody stand down. DEA operation. Everybody back up, stand down."

Sources said the assailants, one of whom spoke in English with an American accent, were not with the DEA.

How do they know that they weren't with the DEA? How do they know they weren't CIA? US accents are gained only in one fashion....living here. They also spoke Spanish, which many DEA agents actually do speak Spanish.

Haiti is French speaking. Not sure why they'd be using Spanish. Bit suspect this article.

Because DEA agents don’t go around randomly whacking politicians? Like, just for starters.

Because DEA agents don’t go around randomly whacking politicians? Like, just for starters.
I said CIA....CIA does go around whacking politicians..Also, we don't know anymore than what the video shows and that video does make it clear that it is someone from the US that did this...or someone raised here their entire life.

I said CIA....CIA does go around whacking politicians..Also, we don't know anymore than what the video shows and that video does make it clear that it is someone from the US that did this...or someone raised here their entire life.

Except that hasn’t been true for years, and there’s no motive for them to kill the Haitian President.

Um....you are aware of how many millions of people here speak Spanish? That’s hardly a sign someone works for the CIA or DEA.

I expect a declaration of war any minute………..

He sat by force as Trump wanted to do. He claimed he had another year in office...he was never elected, he was placed in power after the previous president stepped down in 2017.

I am neither suggesting that Jovenel Moise was on the up and up or that whoever killed him was right in doing so.

What I am saying is Haiti has through a series of actions has devolved into a violent nation with areas in more or less chaos without local government. Despite the US, the UN, and other nations lining behind Moise denouncing the attack (which we all should denounce such violence) there is a realization that his term did not improve things in the slightest.

We have no idea who is really in charge now.

In Haiti who is next in line is dead, their President of the Supreme Court should be in control but he died of Covid. I guess we could look to the acting prime minister, but that takes approval from their Parliament that is largely idle, worthless, and also in disarray.

The US Embassy there is in lockdown and there are travel restrictions to and from.

If I had to guess what is next, all out civil war. I am not talking about more pockets of fighting for control over this or that but outright humanitarian disaster causing long term bloody and messy civil war.

And it will be horrifically sad to see Haiti devolve into such a terrible ending.

In a statement from the prime minister's office, Joseph said the attack occurred around 1 a.m. Wednesday, and some of the unidentified assailants spoke Spanish. The head of state, the statement said, was "fatally injured."

First Lady Martine Moïse was wounded and is being treated, the statement said.

The assailants claimed to be agents with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, according to videos taken by people in the area of the president's home. Moïse, 53, lives in Pelerin 5, a neighborhood just above the hills in the capital.

I am neither suggesting that Jovenel Moise was on the up and up or that whoever killed him was right in doing so.

What I am saying is Haiti has through a series of actions has devolved into a violent nation with areas in more or less chaos without local government. Despite the US, the UN, and other nations lining behind Moise denouncing the attack (which we all should denounce such violence) there is a realization that his term did not improve things in the slightest.

We have no idea who is really in charge now.

In Haiti who is next in line is dead, their President of the Supreme Court should be in control but he died of Covid. I guess we could look to the acting prime minister, but that takes approval from their Parliament that is largely idle, worthless, and also in disarray.

The US Embassy there is in lockdown and there are travel restrictions to and from.

If I had to guess what is next, all out civil war. I am not talking about more pockets of fighting for control over this or that but outright humanitarian disaster causing long term bloody and messy civil war.

And it will be horrifically sad to see Haiti devolve into such a terrible ending.
yes, it will be ugly for sure...they have no clue who should take charge and the person named just resigned. I don't even know if they have the means to investigate who did this or why.

Except that hasn’t been true for years, and there’s no motive for them to kill the Haitian President.

Um....you are aware of how many millions of people here speak Spanish? That’s hardly a sign someone works for the CIA or DEA.
how many speak Spanish in Port Au Prince? How many speak English with an American accent? The language there is Haitian Creole. They were doing both...but none of them were speaking Creole.

Haiti has been in rough shape for a long time. It's a shame really because their island-sharing sister does so much better.
Yep, and any instability as a result of this will likely see scores of people fleeing Haiti into the Dominican Republic or here.

Wonder what the reason for this is? And does the DEA regularly operate in Haiti?

For those who ask why the CIA would be interested in killing the leader of Haiti...one never knows the motive of the US government or the CIA....we don't know yet, who or why he was killed...we do know he was a wannabe dictator and that he was accused of drug trafficking. This is from 93, but it shows the level of involvement of the CIA in Haitian politics.

There is a video that confirms it. You can certainly hear them speaking English in the video.
Where are you getting Spanish from?

how many speak Spanish in Port Au Prince? How many speak English with an American accent? The language there is Haitian Creole. They were doing both...but none of them were speaking Creole.

It’s literally the simplest thing in the world to hire a American guy who speaks Spanish to yell a not particularly complicated phrase. That’s not evidence of any US government involvement. You are grasping at straws.

And again, there’s no motive for the CIA to whack the Haitian President.

Yep. This kind of thing is not in the DEA's wheelhouse. If the intention was to kill a nation's leader, it wouldn't have gone down like that.

In a statement from the prime minister's office, Joseph said the attack occurred around 1 a.m. Wednesday, and some of the unidentified assailants spoke Spanish. The head of state, the statement said, was "fatally injured."

First Lady Martine Moïse was wounded and is being treated, the statement said.

The assailants claimed to be agents with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, according to videos taken by people in the area of the president's home. Moïse, 53, lives in Pelerin 5, a neighborhood just above the hills in the capital.

why would the FBI, CIA or DEA go into a place and announce who they are before assassinating a President of a country?

if we were gonna do that it would be black ops, right?

Back
Top Bottom