• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Officer charged in fatal shooting of Black man at San Francisco Walmart

joko104

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
[FONT=&quot] A police officer in San Leandro, California, has been [/FONT]charged with voluntary manslaughter[FONT=&quot] in the fatal shooting of a Black man wielding a baseball bat inside a Walmart, Alameda County District Attorney Nancy E. O'Malley announced Wednesday. Officer Jason Fletcher shot and killed 33-year-old Steven Demarco Taylor on April 18.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Officers were called to the Walmart located on the eastern shore of the San Francisco Bay Area when Taylor allegedly tried to leave the store without paying, [/FONT]CBS San Francisco previously reported[FONT=&quot]. Bodycam footage shows police telling Taylor multiple times to drop the baseball bat he was holding, but Taylor continues holding the bat. Officers then use Tasers on Taylor twice, but he continued to advance toward the officers. Fletcher then shoots Taylor once in the chest, causing him to drop the bat. Another officer used a third Taser on Taylor after he was shot. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Non-lethal force had failed.

So in California it is now legal to beat police officers to death with a baseball bat - and it is a crime for the officers to not allow themselves to be beaten to death.

Why any police in any Democratic jurisdiction is still willing to do anything is beyond me since it is basically illegal to be police now in those jurisdictions other than volunteering to be murdered defenselessly.

I’m sure he’ll be acquitted and you have nothing to worry about.

I’m sure he’ll be acquitted and you have nothing to worry about.

He shouldn't have been charged. The perp wasn't "unarmed".

[FONT="] A police officer in San Leandro, California, has been [/FONT][/COLOR][URL="https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/15116056/2020/09/Fletcher-Complaint.pdf?ftag=MSF0951a18"]charged with voluntary manslaughter[/URL][FONT="] in the fatal shooting of a Black man wielding a baseball bat inside a Walmart, Alameda County District Attorney Nancy E. O'Malley announced Wednesday. Officer Jason Fletcher shot and killed 33-year-old Steven Demarco Taylor on April 18.

[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT="]Officers were called to the Walmart located on the eastern shore of the San Francisco Bay Area when Taylor allegedly tried to leave the store without paying, [/FONT]
CBS San Francisco previously reported[FONT="]. [B]Bodycam footage shows police telling Taylor multiple times to drop the baseball bat[/B] he was holding, but Taylor continues holding the bat. [B]Officers then use Tasers on Taylor twice, but he continued to advance toward the officers. Fletcher then shoots Taylor once in the chest, causing him to drop the bat.[/B] Another officer used a third Taser on Taylor after he was shot. [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT="]
[/FONT]

Non-lethal force had failed.

So in California it is now legal to beat police officers to death with a baseball bat - and it is a crime for the officers to not allow themselves to be beaten to death.

Why any police in any Democratic jurisdiction is still willing to do anything is beyond me since it is basically illegal to be police now in those jurisdictions other than volunteering to be murdered defenselessly.

Who in their right mind would join the police force in California or several other big cities today. Charge with a homicide. Ridiculous.

He shouldn't have been charged. The perp wasn't "unarmed".

It's not whether he was armed, it's whether he was a threat. He didn't appear to be a threat according to the body cam footage. Apparently the investigation came to the same conclusion. That makes it voluntary manslaughter. Unlawful killing (killing someone who doesn't pose an immediate deadly threat to you or others) without malice.

It's not whether he was armed, it's whether he was a threat. He didn't appear to be a threat according to the body cam footage. Apparently the investigation came to the same conclusion. That makes it voluntary manslaughter. Unlawful killing (killing someone who doesn't pose an immediate deadly threat to you or others) without malice.

Not a threat? He ignored the officers' command to drop the weapon and then advanced on them with the weapon. Why don't you consider that a threat?

Easy solution.

Hello...911.

Help!! There is an asshole with a bat threatening people in WalMart!

And?

And...we need help!

I'm sorry sir...you are just going to have to deal with him on your own. However if he calms down enough and if you wouldnt mind, ask him to come to the police station and surrender himself voluntarily in cuffs, then we will see abut charging him. Have a great day!

Not a threat? He ignored the officers' command to drop the weapon and then advanced on them with the weapon. Why don't you consider that a threat?
Because his ass would never put himself in harms way and have to live with the results of his comments.

Bodycam footage shows police telling Taylor multiple times to drop the baseball bat he was holding, but Taylor continues holding the bat. Officers then use Tasers on Taylor twice, but he continued to advance toward the officers.

Sounds pretty damn threatening to me.....

That's what the officer claimed. But I watched the video, did you? I didn't see him advance on the officer. I saw him double over and lose his balance while barely able to hold on to the baseball bat. The officer then fired into his chest and he dropped it.

Police officers trained in use of lethal force and deescalation don't get to interpret any uncooperative black man with a bat as an a priori threat. If he was truly advancing on the officer, or if the bat were raised above his head and he was within striking distance, or if he had taken a swing at someone, then lethal force would be warranted. It wasn't warranted in this case. This guy was just a terrified nut holding a bat who was clearly not in his right mind.

Bodycam footage shows police telling Taylor multiple times to drop the baseball bat he was holding, but Taylor continues holding the bat. Officers then use Tasers on Taylor twice, but he continued to advance toward the officers.

The "advancing" claim is the sticking point. I watched the video and I didn't see him advance on the officer in a threatening manner. Apparently neither did the DA.

This man deserved to be tackled, tazed, struck with a nightstick, and/or pepper sprayed and arrested for refusing to comply while armed with a bat. He did not deserve to be executed.

He had a baseball bat. He was a threat.

The "advancing" claim is the sticking point. I watched the video and I didn't see him advance on the officer in a threatening manner. Apparently neither did the DA.

This man deserved to be tackled, tazed, struck with a nightstick, and/or pepper sprayed and arrested for refusing to comply while armed with a bat. He did not deserve to be executed.

He wasn't "executed".

All that had to happen to prevent this is drop the bat.

Multiple taser hits didn't stop him. You believe a nightstick or pepper spray would?

Plus pepper spray requires one to get closer. Even closer with a night stick. And the last time I checked a baseball bat outreaches a nightstick.

A nightstick to the gourd is considered lethal force. It can kill someone, then you all would be nuttin up about that.

He had a baseball bat. He was a threat.

A black man holding a baseball bat is not automatically a threat and shooting him is not automatically self defense.

He wasn't "executed".

All that had to happen to prevent this is drop the bat.

Multiple taser hits didn't stop him. You believe a nightstick or pepper spray would?

Plus pepper spray requires one to get closer. Even closer with a night stick. And the last time I checked a baseball bat outreaches a nightstick.

He was executed. A police officer shot him in the chest at point blank range because he refused to comply and he died. Refusing to comply is not a capital offense. Yes, the victim could have dropped the bat and not been shot. That doesn't mean that the police officer was justified in executing him.

Refusing to comply while holding a baseball bat does not constitute an imminent threat. This man should have been arrested. He should not have been executed, and even if the officer claims to have felt in fear for his life, the video evidence does not support this. Hence voluntary manslaughter.

A nightstick to the gourd is considered lethal force. It can kill someone, then you all would be nuttin up about that.

Correct. Lethal force was not warranted in this instance. Hence the charge of voluntary manslaughter.

He was executed. A police officer shot him in the chest at point blank range because he refused to comply and he died. Refusing to comply is not a capital offense. Yes, the victim could have dropped the bat and not been shot. That doesn't mean that the police officer was justified in executing him.

Refusing to comply while holding a baseball bat does not constitute an imminent threat. This man should have been arrested. He should not have been executed, and even if the officer claims to have felt in fear for his life, the video evidence does not support this. Hence voluntary manslaughter.

Execute = Hyperbolic nonsense.

He was armed and a threat.

Word to the wise.

If you want to survive an encounter with the cops put down the weapon.

People who aren't stupid have a much higher survival rate.

Execute = Hyperbolic nonsense.

He was armed and a threat.

Word to the wise.

If you want to survive an encounter with the cops put down the weapon.

People who aren't stupid have a much higher survival rate.

He was armed but he was not a deadly threat to the officer.

The rest of your post is true. Especially if one is black.

I don't think anyone is surprised that this loon was killed by police. This doesn't change the fact that it was an unjustified shooting, and that the charge of voluntary manslaughter was appropriate. This officer should face justice for his actions, regardless of how little we care about the victim.

Any man that is armed and has been tased twice yet refuses to drop the weapon is a threat.

Not true. A deranged man refusing to comply with police while holding a baseball bat after the improper implementation of non lethal force to subdue him does not then justify the use of deadly force to end the encounter, as we have all seem to have learned on this thread.

To be able to take 2 Taser shots....gotta be high as a kite.

Not true. A deranged man refusing to comply with police while holding a baseball bat after the improper implementation of non lethal force to subdue him does not then justify the use of deadly force to end the encounter, as we have all seem to have learned on this thread.

He was an immediate threat. He took two taser hits and continued to advance at the officers.

Not true. A deranged man refusing to comply with police while holding a baseball bat after the improper implementation of non lethal force to subdue him does not then justify the use of deadly force to end the encounter, .

it does in my book

He was armed but he was not a deadly threat to the officer.

The rest of your post is true. Especially if one is black.

I don't think anyone is surprised that this loon was killed by police. This doesn't change the fact that it was an unjustified shooting, and that the charge of voluntary manslaughter was appropriate. This officer should face justice for his actions, regardless of how little we care about the victim.

What is "not a deadly threat" when a man is armed and advancing?

FFS the only thing more of a deadly threat would be a knife and advancing or a gun and aiming.

Was he armed?

Yes.

Was he advancing.

Yes.

A clear threat.

Back
Top Bottom