• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Off-Grid Living

sanman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
What are people's thoughts about living Off-Grid?
Any knowledge or experience to share?

I was looking at this cute houseboat, and was marveling at how well it was designed:

I wonder what the pro's and cons of houseboat living are?

sea sickness (which is basically just another word for motion sickness)

I was looking at this cute houseboat, and was marveling at how well it was designed:

1. I'm not so sure I'd consider this "off-grid". The video didn't show much about living in this boat anywhere but at a dock. What would it be like if you just anchored it somewhere...in a bay or inlet...or, even, on open water? And what happens in those places when a storm comes up? It seems to me this would be more appropriate tied up at a dock and protected by a marina. That means you would be connected by power, water and sewage. That is no more off grid than living in an RV in an RV park.

2. And then, there's cost. I didn't look very hard, but I couldn't find indication on the YouTube page or their website that says how much it cost to build this boat. One would also need to factor in mooring costs.

If I wanted to actually live off-grid, I'd go with this:

That's about as "off-grid" as one can get...at least, on land.

Before commiting I suggest renting one and trying out the lifestyle. I am building a 23 meter boat myself for doing the great circle. Living on a boat previously informed me on my priorities. I prefer space and a small boat won't cut it. That house boat looks to be tiny. Remember on the water the boat is it for moving about unless you are at dock or swimming or diving. While sailing seemed a way to lower costs, reality was I was motor sailing or plain motoring alot which lead me to conclude that a I would prefer a power boat. I tried a power boat and am going to stay that route. I didn't use marinas except for major maintenance and stayed on anchor or was on passage a lot mainly short hops here and there. The bigger the boat the more expensive the slip or mooring. Figure out what you are doing firsthand, through rentals or charters then commit to a longer term commitment. I am glad I did. The saying that boats are a money sink are not jokes, its for real even with a new boat.

How is a house boat considered as "off the grid"

Hull registration.
Slip fees
Fuel
Coast Guard safety certification
repair parts

Back
Top Bottom