• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Off-duty cops quit security for WNBA game after players wear Black Lives Matter shirt

Re: Off-duty cops quit security for WNBA game after players wear Black Lives Matter s

If a dad ALWAYS scrutinizes one kid every single day for every single little thing, constantly punishing him yet never even suspects his other kid of crimes, so never scrutinizes. Is it fair?

There is no doubt that police purposely troll the waters of ghettoville for more tickets than they do white suburbia. They use extra crime rate as an excuse to generate extra revenue through non-crime tickets.

Sorry, but you're repeating a falsehood. The data doesn't support the idea that cops target motorists because of race. Cops target motorists who are breaking traffic laws. Period.

Re: Off-duty cops quit security for WNBA game after players wear Black Lives Matter s

Yeah, but that's not what BLM does. They paint with a broad brush.

Kind of like LowDown does.

I think it's a fair assumption from your comments about what the police officers' motivations were and how quickly other officers would move up to take the jobs that you consider yourself some sort of authority. Otherwise you would not have made such a silly statement.

"President Obama referred to himself 45 times over the course of the speech he delivered Tuesday at the memorial service for the five police officers killed in Dallas last week.

Read more: Obama Mentions Himself 45 Times In Dallas Memorial Speech | The Daily Caller

As for class, almost everyone knows a startling, shocking lack of class when they see it or hear it. Standing up at the memorial service for the murdered officers to defend the BLM and condemn police officers is no class. It's not like the pitiful president can't get on television any time he wants."

Right. Pure class. These guys are dead but now about me and my friends.

There ya go again with that with that word premise, stop ASSUMING

And i dont have to justify my response to you, a conplete stranger

Every cop that walked out of that game is a little drama bitch that punishingly shamed ALL the players. If they get pissy over stuff like that im not too sure they should have responsibility over citizenry.

I wonder when it was exactly that our law enforcement officers turned into such ******s

There ya go again with that with that word premise, stop ASSUMING

And i dont have to justify my response to you, a conplete stranger

Now, on that you're right...probably.

Now, on that you're right...probably.

That makes no sense, go back to your blind hatred of the Pres, its what you folks do best, hate.

If they were on duty, I'd have a problem with this. They were off duty. I think it's stupid to take the job/volunteer for the job (don't know how it may work) and then turn it down over a shirt, but it's well within their rights to do and I have a hard time blaming them.

The entire foundation of the "black lives matter" movement is that somehow Black Lives matter less to police/the justice system than the lives of other races. That's an insulting (and frankly questionable) insinuation, and I don't see it as being unreasonable that those which are part of the very system that the movements message is directly claiming to be bias/unfair/racist may not be the most open to said movement.

To be pro-black lives matter is to be pro-the idea that black lives are viewed by the police/justice system as mattering "less" than others. It's hard for me to understand how you can support that such an idea and issue exists, while at the same time claiming that you support the police, unless you're basically saying you support both the idea that the justice system is racist/less caring about blacks AND that you support the system that is racist/less caring about blacks.

To protect and serve..... as long you don't use your freedom of speech and offend them.

They were off duty and didn't silence those people.
They just protested them.

They took a job and walked off due to a couple of t-shirts. Very unprofessional in my opinion.

Also I have witnessed people get roughed up for saying things to on duty police, so it seems some can't handle people saying what they want to say.

Well, thanks very much for admitting that most cops are doing the right thing, but that was late in coming.

No it isn't. I have always said that and I think most people feel that way. No one is claiming that all cops are bad or even most are bad....but lets not pull the wool over our eyes and pretend that there are not bad cops out there that need to be weeded out.

They took a job and walked off due to a couple of t-shirts. Very unprofessional in my opinion.

Well, people shouldn't be politicizing jobs in the first place, ie the basketball players.

Also I have witnessed people get roughed up for saying things to on duty police, so it seems some can't handle people saying what they want to say.

That's wrong, nothing makes that acceptable.

The whole BLM movement was founded on a lie.( Hands up, don't shoot")

Have they at least repudiated that.

Of course it doesn't help things that Obama is so willing to tell falsehoods to support the narrative. Yesterday he said it was easier for a teenager to but a glock than a book or a computer. Good grief. Where is Joe Wilson when you need him?pic.jpg

LAFFRIOT!!

Nope. My argument rests on the premise, which is totally correct, that there's no evidence that cops generally act out of racism.

But there are issues with the amount of force used in certain circumstances that lead to the injury or death of a suspect. And that's the heart of the matter. They kill whites this way too, it's not just a black lives thing. But the fundamental is real, there is an abuse of power in the most severe of senses, the use of deadly force in situations where it can be avoided. Also, the way the interactions take place in some cases involve the police escalating situations until deadly force is used.

So there is certainly a need to reevaluate the levels of force and the standard procedures for interaction between police and the citizens of the Republic. That being said, taking violent acts out against the police will only exacerbate the situation. The lives of both government agent and free citizen need to be taken into account and the goal needs to be lowering the number of individuals killed by police, and eliminating instances of unnecessary or unjustified use of deadly force.

Re: Off-duty cops quit security for WNBA game after players wear Black Lives Matt...

Like most things involving the BLM, I agree with many of the points but disagree with the tactics involved.

It seems silly to me that we are now incapable of having support in not killing cops at the same time as creating meaningful procedural and training reforms in policing.

It's like now we must either be complacent with racial injustice or be in support of wanting to parade in the streets or killing cops.

It's a false choice.
Part of the false choice is a result of our increasing societal polarization. We're not allowed to consider nuances or middle positions. We're chastised and ridiculed unless we pick the uber-extreme.

I would hope they didnt get their salary for that day then. :)

The initial thrust of BLM seemed worthy and now they have mushroomed into some members making statements that are anti police and inciting violence. If you sacrificed your life ( as most officers do) and had a group doing this to you as you risk your life to protect them --- in light of that maybe they did not want that off duty gig.

Look if our society really want to approach this as not supporting officers in a very difficult high risk job requiring more intellect tham most professions then it might come to this.

If BLM had approached this as reviewing cases and asking for review on clear cases ayet as the Dallas police chief stated not second guessing form the comfort of the couch when a person has a firearm and is reaching of fit.

BLM should be educating citizens on how to respond to a pull over or how not to be a felon with a gina dn resist arrest and reach for your gun.

I was taught how to respond to being pulled over.

Yes I think some of the cases of brutality those officers should have been convicted. As Dallas Police Chief pointed out that is less than 1 %.

Yes this effacers can choose their off duty jobs and if a group inciting violence towards then or telling young black men the police are the KKK or saying they "understand" the murders of officers in Dallas --- then why should they take an off duty gig where people are wearing shirts celebrating this.

BLM is not collaborative and has incited violence.

Oh yea --- and I do get what has gone wrong with racial disparity and there needs reform in some departments or individual officers should not be officers. I just do not think BLM has broad brushed a profession of most heroes.

Maybe this effacers did not want to promote a group that is anti police in their off duty gig.
This is an excellent post. Thank you.

Yes, egregious shootings are rare, but on the flip side, if the system wants to be trusted then the system needs to suck it up and punish/prosecute when the egregious incidents do happen.

Having said that, people like BLM need to preach responsibility from their side, as well.

The only way it's going to be solved is a collaborative effort and a meeting in the middle.

The whole BLM movement was founded on a lie.( Hands up, don't shoot")

BLM wasn't founded in 2014.

BLM wasn't founded in 2014.

What does that have to do with anything?

What does that have to do with anything?

You stated it was founded on 'hands up, don't shoot'. That's simply incorrect as that statement was given in 2014 by a witness in the Michael Brown shooting. However, BLM was founded long before that.

You stated it was founded on 'hands up, don't shoot'. That's simply incorrect as that statement was given in 2014 by a witness in the Michael Brown shooting. However, BLM was founded long before that.

Interesting. I was under the impression (from vague memories) that they came after that incident or roughly at the same time as that incident.

As you can tell, the details became fuzzy for me, so roughly when did they, more or less, start?

I'm presuming I could wiki it and I may here in a tiny bit, but I felt compelled to respond because your response both surprised and interested me in a timeline for another movement.

Off-duty cops quit security for WNBA game after players wear Black Lives Matt...

Zimmerman? Holy cow.
Maybe this was when I still despised hashtags being read out loud in casual conversation instead of contained to a normal "tag" hyperlink. I must have missed that entirely.

Interesting. I was under the impression (from vague memories) that they came after that incident or roughly at the same time as that incident.

As you can tell, the details became fuzzy for me, so roughly when did they, more or less, start?

I'm presuming I could wiki it and I may here in a tiny bit, but I felt compelled to respond because your response both surprised and interested me in a timeline for another movement.

"Officially" (as official as anything on twitter can be), it started back with the Trayvon Martin incident.

It simply didn't start with Michael Brown, however I have a theory that if people associate it with the Brown case, they have a bigger leg to stand on when attacking it and they can dismiss the long history of black people pointing out that police tend to use more force for blacks.

What's really at the root of this movement is a multi-generational dispute between the black community and police officers. BLM isn't anything new, it's just the latest incarnation of something which was already being discussed for the better part of 100 years.

What's really at the root of this movement is a multi-generational dispute between the black community and police officers. BLM isn't anything new, it's just the latest incarnation of something which was already being discussed for the better part of 100 years.

Certainly. African Americans had legitimate beefs in the (just as an example) 20th century since 1900 when cops would *help* incite riots and lynchings against their neighborhoods whenever someone said a nondescript black guy raped a white woman or a nondescript black guy robbed a store.

Right, but they are insulted by a shirt that shows solidarity with the DPD. Apparently those cops hate cops.[/QUOTCould you clarify --- were the shirt in honor of the DPD?

Back
Top Bottom