• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Of two halves' — Russian-Ukrainians despise Putin for making war in their name

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
'Of two halves' — Russian-Ukrainians despise Putin for making war in their name

AAVhECM.img

Julia Sergeeva, an ethnic Russian-Ukrainian had to flee Ukraine with her 6 year old son. Putin was trying to kill them.

BUDAPEST, Hungary — Julia Sergeeva, a lawyer and human rights activist, grew up in a Russian-speaking home in Ukraine. Her mother is from Russia. So is her grandmother — who was a victim of Stalin's oppression, a widow of a man who was crippled in World War II, and the daughter of a man imprisoned for eight years in Siberia. But her ties to the motherland didn't protect her this month, when Russia rained fire down on the country she's called home her whole life. In the early morning of February 24, Sergeeva woke in her bed to explosions. She grabbed her 6-year-old son, Simon, and fled their Kyiv home. "I put his name in his bag, and a telephone number, in case we got separated and he got lost," Sergeeva said, through tears, at the Budapest home of a host family. "I said 'honey, we're going to have to go to grandma's place.' And he didn't even ask questions." Putin falsely claimed that his "military operation" in Ukraine was to liberate Russian-Ukrainians in the country. Sergeeva's family — and several other Russian-Ukrainian refugees — have told Insider that the only one victimizing them is Putin himself.

It is this war, though, that will leave generations of Ukrainians despising Russia, the people who live there, and it's culture. Sergeeva spent one night in a bomb shelter before making the decision to leave Ukraine with her son. She couldn't sleep at all that night because she was worried about Simon's safety. "I lived in several countries and I had many opportunities to leave Ukraine, but I came back because I believe our country is beautiful, strong, and has a great future," Sergeeva told Insider. "Our lives our there. I didn't want to cross the border, but I did it because I am a mother, and his safety and his life is the first job I have to do." Sergeeva and her mother are both lawyers, and keep a close eye on the political environment. Still, they never imagined bombs landing in her city. "I'm trying to keep myself away from hatred of the Russian nation. It's very hard and i don't know how long I can keep it up," she said. Many people in Ukraine are bi-or-triligual, speaking both Russian and Ukrainian. "The hatred that the population of Ukraine feels now towards anything that is Russian it is impossible to describe," she said and blames Putin for "destroying our lives completely."

Perhaps when Putin finally realized that the Ukrainians would not be coming back to him, he decided to destroy them, like a jilted lover.

Back
Top Bottom