• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Odds of Dems taking House/Senate?

hipsterdufus said:
There differences aren't as big as they seem. They all agree that Iraq is a mess, the debate is over how soon to leave.
And when to leak it to al-Jazeera. Hold on al-Quida, you might just need to sit and wait for victory to come to you.

Why leak it, they'll know it before you do!!....:rofl

Pssst ...the phone's ringing...it's Ken 'puppet' Mehlman. :2wave:

Its going to be a sad day for the far left when our troops in Iraq win the battle there and the Iraqi forces take over the security and the country becomes a full fledged democracy......

All the doom and gloom and left wing spin they and the media put out every day will be for naught..........

I can't wait...................

Navy Pride said:
Its going to be a sad day for the far left when our troops in Iraq win the battle there and the Iraqi forces take over the security and the country becomes a full fledged democracy......

All the doom and gloom and left wing spin they and the media put out every day will be for naught..........

I can't wait...................

2 trilion dollars later and SS and healthcare still a mess. Public schools still crappy and a multi billion dollar trade deficit with China increasing daily. Osama still not caught and 2000+ marines killed.....We did it! Iraq is now a democrazy in which religious fundalmentalist groups hold power!

RightatNYU said:
And last I saw, the RNC had the DNC beat by a margin of 6 or 7 to 1 in cash on hand.

tax cuts for the rich are definately not the reason for this.

Polls show the people have a high 30s trust % in Republicans, it's even lower for democrats..

Yeah, most people on here have already beat me to it, but they're right: The Dems will pick up seats, but not enough to take control of either Congressional chamber.

2008 will be a year to remember. After '06 tightens the margin, in '08 the Dems will take a shot at taking over Congress and the White House. What a flip of power that would be.

Synch, what "polls" are you referring to? Which "people" did they poll, too?

Last edited:
It looks like the Republicans are going with the Boogey Man strategy that has worked for them so far. That is vote for Republicans we will protect you,from the bad muslm Boogey Man.
If Americans finaly wake up and realize that the Republicans are in the pockets of big business and the rich. that they have been screwing them for the last 5 years than the democrats have a chance.

JOHNYJ said:
It looks like the Republicans are going with the Boogey Man strategy that has worked for them so far. That is vote for Republicans we will protect you,from the bad muslm Boogey Man.
If Americans finaly wake up and realize that the Republicans are in the pockets of big business and the rich. that they have been screwing them for the last 5 years than the democrats have a chance.

The problem with your scenario is democrats are soft on Terrorism.....Republicans are not and the American people know that.....

I predict the next president of the U.S. will be either John McCain or Rudy Juliani.....I would vote for wither but I prefer Senator George Allen........

JOHNYJ said:

You call it the boogey man, sensible people call it a real threat. It's not so much that the Republicans have conveyed the message they will protet us, it's that democrats have given the impression they won't. Many are finally starting to wake up (i.e. PATRIOT act)

JOHNYJ said:

But the democrats are for the people. :roll:

The Dems have no solid plan, their only strategy is to make Bush and Republicans look so bad the voters won't vote for them.. although many republicans are distancing themselves from Bush in the past year..

Conservatives usually have more economic power, Republicans usually beat Democrats in advertising power... although the media is pretty left considering what people actually think about the economy, gas prices, the Abramoff scandal.. most people are only scratching the service, which tells them that gas prices are up, the economy is down, with a high deficit and unemployment rate. So that should balance each other out..

There's no such thing as the bogeyman, the threat from Islam exists....

As I have said many times....The American people trust Republicans to protect them in the war on terror................The polls constantly show that they have no trust in Democrats on that issue.........Just criticizing GWB with no answers on any political issues will not get it done........I mean look at their leaders in the house and Senate.........Pelosi and Reid, nuff said.........

That is the main reason the Republicans will hold onto the Congress and maybe even gain some seats.........

RightatNYU said:
Guess who's got more money to advertise?

It's a sad day in American politics when people spout nonsense like this. It makes you sound like you're right out of the Abramoff camp.

Synch said:
There's no such thing as the bogeyman

Exactly.

Synch said:
the threat from Islam exists....

Sounds like you are waging a Crusade against the Jihad.

How eloquent.

Diplomacy has never been an option for the neo-GOP.

That's disheartening.

Conflict said:
Exactly.

Sounds like you are waging a Crusade against the Jihad.

How eloquent.

Diplomacy has never been an option for the neo-GOP.

That's disheartening.

study Islamic powers, Iran and other Islamic countries fund terrorism, Hamas, etc.. yes you can use the arguement that most Muslims are not radicals, but the extremists are the ones in power, and you cannot deal with an enemy that views you as subhuman oppressors who will eternally burn in the depths of hell, this is what makes our enemies in the middle east so hard to dispose of, is their mentality.

Synch said:
study Islamic powers, Iran and other Islamic countries fund terrorism, Hamas, etc.. yes you can use the arguement that most Muslims are not radicals, but the extremists are the ones in power, and you cannot deal with an enemy that views you as subhuman oppressors who will eternally burn in the depths of hell, this is what makes our enemies in the middle east so hard to dispose of, is their mentality.

They apparently didn't have this so called putrid attitude a decade ago. WHat exactly has changed since then? THey used to be our allies in the active coldwar era.... what's the skinny?

Conflict said:
They apparently didn't have this so called putrid attitude a decade ago. WHat exactly has changed since then? THey used to be our allies in the active coldwar era.... what's the skinny?

..and the Soviets were our allies during WW2.

They say war makes strange bedfellows.

Good tidbit of Data:

"To lose control of the House of Representatives, the Republican Party, which is now in its 12th year as the chamber's majority party, would have to suffer a net loss 15 seats in the November midterm elections. By historical standards, that is not a very tall order. On the other hand, if historical trends played out during the 2002 midterm elections, Republicans would not have added half a dozen seats in the House.
To be sure, midterm elections have not been kind to presidents or their parties. For example, since 1862, there have been 36 midterm elections held during the first or second terms of an administration. In 33 of those 36 elections, the opposition party gained strength in the House. That's the bad news for the Bush administration and the Republican Party. The good news is that the three anomalous midterm elections in which the president's party gained strength in the House included the last two midterm campaigns. (The third occasion was the 1934 election held during Franklin Roosevelt's first term.)
The 20th century was particularly unkind to presidents and their party's House members in the midterm elections occurring during the second term of an administration -- what Congressional Quarterly has aptly dubbed "The Sixth Year Swoon." During the first 90 years of the 20th century, for example, there were nine midterm elections held during an administration's second term. Each time, the president's party lost House seats. Those losses averaged 33 seats (or more than double the number of seats Democrats must win to gain control). Major second-midterm blowouts for the party occupying the White House included 71 seats lost in 1938 during Franklin Roosevelt's second term, 47 in 1958 during Dwight Eisenhower's second term, 47 in 1966 in the second term of the Kennedy-Johnson administration and 43 seats in 1974 during the Nixon-Ford era.
Contrary to the experience of the century's first 90 years, however, the Democratic Party actually gained a handful of House seats in the second midterm election (1998) during Bill Clinton's administration. And it is probably worth pointing out that Republicans lost only five House seats in Ronald Reagan's second midterm election (1986) -- although the GOP was clobbered that year in the Senate, when it lost eight seats and majority control."

http://washtimes.com/op-ed/20060121-104331-7163r.htm

Conflict said:

The US has a tendency to side with tyrants and dictators in the name of capitalism....

Conflict said:

success breeds hostility, study Iranian, Iraqi, and Saudi History, once we became friendly and patronize them with goods and success, they turned on us.

Conflict said:
It's a sad day in American politics when people spout nonsense like this. It makes you sound like you're right out of the Abramoff camp.

That's nonsense? No, its a fact.

Because you don't like it, it doesnt make it untrue.

And what exactly is the problem with that? Money=speech. You suddenly don't like free speech?

galenrox said:
lol, man,...alright, whatever.

The American people trust the republicans to protect them? I don't. I'll bet those 3,000 that the republicans let die on September 11th don't either.

Galen, There is some question as to who was responsible for 9/11/01...I think there is enough blame to go around to both parties....

That said when it comes to the war on terror the dems have no plan except to criticize the republicans and the president......Sorry I don't believe the American people buy that......

Navy Pride said:
Galen, There is some question as to who was responsible for 9/11/01...I think there is enough blame to go around to both parties....

That said when it comes to the war on terror the dems have no plan except to criticize the republicans and the president......Sorry I don't believe the American people buy that......
hmmm.. wasn't there that report titled "Winning the war on Terror" released by the Democrats?

If they feel Bush or the Republicans are doing something wrong they shouldn't criticize? You're going to tell me Republicans have never criticized the actions of Democrats... :lol:

Some recent special state elections. A trend? Maybe. Local elections can swing on many different issues and I haven't analyzed any of them except Donna Howard. Something to chew on.

Democrat Donna Howard has won election to the Texas House today to serve the remainder of Republican Todd Baxter's term.
Howard got 57.6 percent. Republican Ben Bentzin received 42.4 percent.

Source

Virginia Democrat Mark R. Herring won every Loudoun precinct in today's special election to fill the 33rd District Senate seat vacated by the resignation of Republican Bill Mims.

Source

Democrats were victorious in two special elections in Minnesota. Tarryl Clark for State Senate in the 15th District and Larry Haws for the Minnesota House election in District 15B.

Source

Missouri Democrats captured two out of three legislative seats in special elections on Tuesday's ballots, including one in solid Republican territory in southwest Missouri.

Source

New Hampshire's Democratic Party congratulated itself Wednesday for electing the first Democratic state representative from Londonderry since 1912.

Source

Back
Top Bottom