• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

October is National Adopt a Shelter Dog Month

BDBoop

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
National Adopt a Shelter Dog Month

In a recent study conducted by the National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy, researchers surveyed people turning animals in to 12 various shelters around the country to try to find our exactly why animals end up there. The study was published in the current issue of the Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science, and can be seen at The ASPCA's Web site (ASPCA: The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). The study's researchers reviewed reasons why people gave up their dogs up for adoption, and found the following frequency of answers:

29 percent surrendered their dogs due to behavior problems

29 percent surrendered their dogs because of the family's housing situation

25 percent surrendered their dogs citing incompatibility with the family's lifestyle

15 percent surrendering their dogs due to the family's preparation and/or expectations.

Shelter dogs are GREAT DOGS!!!! They've been abandoned and are scared to absolute death. People who don't really know and respect dogs think they have no feelings. WRONG-WRONG-WRONG! (Can you tell I'm passionate?) When their family abandons them at a shelter, they are lost, frightened souls. Terrified. And so many of them were abandoned for all the wrong reasons...lack of training being top of the list. It's so very sad.

Adopt a shelter dog!! It will love you forever and ever.

My present German Shepherd, Josh, lived in a kennel run for the first six years of his life. He was a show dog. Won best of breed. He was kept model thin....read half-starved here. Lived in a huge barn with 26 or so other shepherds. Never housebroken. Had never set foot in a house his whole life. When we brought him home, he was terrified....of the doorbell....the television...the dishwasher! He sat and looked at us from the other end of the room wondering when we were going to rush over and brain 'im. Honest. He was soooo scared. Well, he messed in the house ONE time and never again. He's the best watchdog. Best companion. Best manners. He's my fourth. I tried to adopt a shelter dog when we got him -- getting him from his circumstances was the best we could do. And we never looked back.

I helped mom adopt a shelter dog two years ago. Mandy. A spaniel mix. Very shy at first. Hid under a chair for a week or more. Ate little. Just......watched. Then!! Well, now she's a great watchdog...minds, does tricks. She was about five when we got her. Mom's 82, so, all in all, it's an almost perfect match.

Adopt a shelter dog!! It'll love you forever and ever. Give him plenty of time to adjust. Ask little. Give much. And soon you'll have your best friend for life.

Last edited:
Adopt a shelter dog!! It'll love you forever and ever. Give him plenty of time to adjust. Ask little. Give much. And soon you'll have your best friend for life.

Josh is so lucky.

I used to totally be a puppy person. I just loved puppies. The older I got, the more I thought you know what? I only needed one puppy to realize I really never want another one. I waited two years for the one I had to calm the hell down. Now when I get another dog, I want mature. At least five, probably eight at the outside but nothing is written in stone.

Back
Top Bottom