• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"Ocean's 11" remake to have all-female cast

Mr Person

A Little Bitter
Suspended
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Ocean's 8 cast to include Rihanna, Anne Hathaway, Mindy Kaling.

This is getting stupid. We already knew Hollywood was mostly out of ideas in light of all the remakes (of films, of comics, etc). Now they're on to remaking a remake, and only casting females as lead characters. They simply cannot come up with new ideas, and make the strong lead a female now and then? They've got to dredge up existing franchises and fight sexism by recasting all the important males as female? (See also Ghostbusters, Iron Man, etc).

Silly, and actually rather condescending. You're not going to convince sexists to not be sexist by remaking movies they might like and hope a bulb goes off. Meanwhile, you don't need to convince people who aren't sexist using this rather dubious method or any other.

Just make new stories, avoid being sexist while doing it, and drop the vapid pretense.

This is getting stupid. We already knew Hollywood was mostly out of ideas in light of all the remakes (of films, of comics, etc). Now they're on to remaking a remake, and only casting females as lead characters. They simply cannot come up with new ideas, and make the strong lead a female now and then? They've got to dredge up existing franchises and fight sexism by recasting all the important males as female? (See also Ghostbusters, Iron Man, etc).

Silly, and actually rather condescending. You're not going to convince sexists to not be sexist by remaking movies they might like and hope a bulb goes off. Meanwhile, you don't need to convince people who aren't sexist using this rather dubious method or any other.

Just make new stories, avoid being sexist while doing it, and drop the vapid pretense.

I wont watch these period. Not because of females but because the first were already great and because the sexist reason to use females. If they simply made Ghostbusters remakeca sequel that would be different. Just make Oceans a different crew on a different job. But your right. They are running out of ideas.

Silly, and actually rather condescending. You're not going to convince sexists to not be sexist by remaking movies they might like and hope a bulb goes off. Meanwhile, you don't need to convince people who aren't sexist using this rather dubious method or any other....

No one decided "lets remake this movie with all women to fight sexism!" It's guaranteed that the main idea is "If we make this an all woman remake, you think more people will come see it?" Its all about the money.

I don't like remakes, but if they decide to use females instead of males, I can't even begin to think why anyone should be upset over it.

No one decided "lets remake this movie with all women to fight sexism!"

You know this how, exactly?

You think Hollywood wasn't paying attention to the initial negative reaction to all-female Ghostbusters and larger counter-reaction in the media celebrating the fact that they chose an all-female cast and denigrating those who thought it was a dumb idea as "mysognists"? To all the other media articles about how Hollywood discriminates against older women, or against women generally by usually just casting hot females and/or making their role secondary to male roles? All that sort of stuff? Of course they were paying attention.

Moreover, if I'm wrong that they did it for these reasons, then why would they specifically pick an all-female cast especially after just doing Ghostbusters the same way? Why not pick a cast of the best female and male characters out of auditions? For what you are saying to be correct, they would have had to hold auditions and determine that every single male actor who showed up did a bad job. Pretty unlikely, no?

It's guaranteed that the main idea is "If we make this an all woman remake, you think more people will come see it?" Its all about the money. I don't like remakes, but if they decide to use females instead of males, I can't even begin to think why anyone should be upset over it.

Well, yes: apart from Mr. Hughes, nobody produces movies without intending to make money. I don't think that means it can be read as the only motivation.

I don't like remakes, but if they decide to use females instead of males, I can't even begin to think why anyone should be upset over it.

Interesting that you chose to use the word "upset."

Anyway, as I said, the problem isn't that Hollywood wants to make movies with strong female characters doing important things (have I complained about The Force Awakens?). The problems are (1) they're already bankrupt in the idea department, (2) they really do appear to be doing this as some kind of bid to fight sexism or otherwise be politically correct, which is a stupid reason to remake a movie.

You know this how, exactly?

You think Hollywood wasn't paying attention to the initial negative reaction to all-female Ghostbusters and larger counter-reaction in the media celebrating the fact that they chose an all-female cast and denigrating those who thought it was a dumb idea as "mysognists"? To all the other media articles about how Hollywood discriminates against older women, or against women generally by usually just casting hot females and/or making their role secondary to male roles? All that sort of stuff? Of course they were paying attention.

Moreover, if I'm wrong that they did it for these reasons, then why would they specifically pick an all-female cast especially after just doing Ghostbusters the same way? Why not pick a cast of the best female and male characters out of auditions? For what you are saying to be correct, they would have had to hold auditions and determine that every single male actor who showed up did a bad job. Pretty unlikely, no?

Well, yes: apart from Mr. Hughes, nobody produces movies without intending to make money. I don't think that means it can be read as the only motivation.

Do you have any examples of characters who have been either regendered that late in the game, this being casting, or that were left gender neutral for that long? Except for minor characters I think this happens very rarely.

The place my brain goes is to wonder why Hollywood is willing to go this far with the "Up with Women" political program when female comedians rarely work, when all female bands have been tried for 40 years and almost never have gotten beyond being substandard novelty acts. All female movies are going to work? Call me MR. Sceptical.

This is beginning to look like a new version of fantasy trumping reality.

Which is a full blown cancer in America @2016.

Maybe it is "U WILL CONSUME IT"

"U Will LIKE IT"

UNDERSTOOD!

:hammer:

Last edited:
They can make a movie with all the women they want, but if they are only remaking an existing movie with a different gender, it is bound to suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can make a movie with all the women they want, but if they are only remaking an existing movie with a different gender, it is bound to suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The public is growing tired of endless remakes and 10+ iteration franchises.

Maybe going all female is supposed to freshen the pot some.

I dont think it will work.

Do you have any examples of characters who have been either regendered that late in the game, this being casting, or that were left gender neutral for that long? Except for minor characters I think this happens very rarely.

If you're a fan of somewhat cheesy British Sci-Fi: Yes, in Doctor Who. ("The Master" became "Missy", roughly 50 years into its run; there have similarly been demands that the main character be replaced by a female actress when the current lead steps down).

Still, that's a bit different given that a central conceit is that the main character's species can fully regenerate their body when in circumstances which would ordinarily cause death (but which would not utterly destroy a body, say, such as being vaporized). They hadn't done sex-change regeneration in either the original or renewed series, then sort of stuck it in a few years back.

Seriously....why do people think alleging that someone they disagree with is emotional in some way is anything but a lame ad hominem maneuver? I see it all the time here. "You're afraid! You're hateful! You're outraged!" If you have an objection to the rationale, make it.

I'm not "outraged." I just think it's a dumb idea and further reflects how utterly out of ideas Hollywood is these days. This is the "Arts & Entertainment" forum, so that's where I put it.

So this means George Clooney becomes a lesbian in the remake?

Seriously....why do people think alleging that someone they disagree with is emotional in some way is anything but a lame ad hominem maneuver? I see it all the time here. "You're afraid! You're hateful! You're outraged!" If you have an objection to the rationale, make it.

I'm not "outraged." I just think it's a dumb idea and further reflects how utterly out of ideas Hollywood is these days. This is the "Arts & Entertainment" forum, so that's where I put it.

I was joking.....

It's not that serious, man.

If you're a fan of somewhat cheesy British Sci-Fi: Yes, in Doctor Who. ("The Master" became "Missy", roughly 50 years into its run; there have similarly been demands that the main character be replaced by a female actress when the current lead steps down).

Still, that's a bit different given that a central conceit is that the main character's species can fully regenerate their body when in circumstances which would ordinarily cause death (but which would not utterly destroy a body, say, such as being vaporized). They hadn't done sex-change regeneration in either the original or renewed series, then sort of stuck it in a few years back.

Turning historically male characters into female characters is all the rage, powered in part no doubt by the success of Hamilton turning real life white people into not white people on the stage, but that decision is made at the start of the project, by the studio bosses. I am asking if you have any examples of a studio waiting till casting and auditions before deciding what gender a character will be, based upon which actor makes the part the best, regardless of gender. I dont think it hardly happens, because I think the genders are set in stone by the end of script writing, which comes before casting.

I saw just last week were a formerly male comic book character is being turned into a female for a movie, because supplying more female action figures is at the tippy top of Hollywood's political agenda. This has a much better chance of working than do all female movies.

It depends. If they are going to make the casting twist that "this time, it's girls instead of guys" they have to make a good movie. If they do, I don't care what people they casted. If they don't, then they have no right to complain when people don't like the movie.

That's the reason I didn't go to see the new Ghostbusters-- I heard it wasn't that good, and I didn't feel the twist of "girls instead of guys" to be very compelling.

No one decided "lets remake this movie with all women to fight sexism!" It's guaranteed that the main idea is "If we make this an all woman remake, you think more people will come see it?" Its all about the money.

Except of course it actually causes less people to show up proven by past examples. Hollywood is just clueless and loves pushing their social/political agendas.

Last edited:

Where's Frank, Dino, & Sammy, when we really need them?

Time: LIFE With the Rat Pack: Rare Photos of Frank, Dino and Sammy

Read some other info on this and while I agree it has a chance to suck cause its a remake and not a spin off or tie I will be going to see it off of starpower alone.

If Hathaway, Sandra Bullock and Cate Blanchett are in along with rumored Elizabeth banks . . I'm in.

Maybe it will suck . . hopefully it wont.

In my opinion Oceans is the type of movie to remake and that can be remade over and over with right cast and story line, for me while I own all the news ones on DVD it never had that feeling of sacred to me.

Ill check it out, the idea of mainly women doesn't bother me at all, hopefully it doesn't suck :)

Except of course it actually causes less people to show up proven by past examples. Hollywood is just clueless and loves pushing their social/political agendas.

I'll tell you this, most of the movies which have been made in the last 5 years that I like made nothing or almost nothing on the theater circuit. Low budgets and not made in Hollywood are the signatures of quality.

Right, nobody said lets make this movie to fight sexism. Making the movie with the intent of an All Female Cast IS the sexism.

Upset? No. Thinking 'sexism' is acceptable? No...

when it is advertised as an all female cast that is pathetic. First, there are men in the movie. Second, can you imagine advertising an "All Male" cast?

New All-Female 'Ghostbusters' Cast Chosen

New All-Female 'Ghostbusters' Cast Chosen | Hollywood Reporter

Robin passed too soon....

Robin decided to leave because he had deep financial problems and he had lost his gift.

But man oh man, he did some great work while he was with us.

:applaud

All I know is that I can't ****ing wait to see Wonder Woman...

That movie better be good. I loved Gal Gadot as WW in Batman v. Superman (and honestly she was the best thing about that movie to begin with), but recently, DC seems to be on a losing streak with making good movies.

Robin passed too soon....

<snip>

Robin decided to leave because he had deep financial problems and he had lost his gift.

But man oh man, he did some great work while he was with us.

:applaud
Perhaps.

But:

advancing age + depression + high coke use = cannot be a good place for a man to be.

JMHO

I wont watch these period. Not because of females but because the first were already great and because the sexist reason to use females. If they simply made Ghostbusters remakeca sequel that would be different. Just make Oceans a different crew on a different job. But your right. They are running out of ideas.

I went to thank the above post and then realized that it was mine...

Back
Top Bottom