• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ocasio-Cortez floats 70 percent tax on the super wealthy to fund Green New Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMaximus

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) is floating an income tax rate as high as 60 to 70 percent on the highest-earning Americans to combat carbon emissions.

Speaking with Anderson Cooper in a “60 Minutes” interview scheduled to air Sunday, Ocasio-Cortez said a dramatic increase in taxes could support her “Green New Deal” goal of eliminating the use of fossil fuels within 12 years — a goal she acknowledges is ambitious.

Underfunded Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid; homeless people starving in droves on the streets of this country's wealthiest cities; and a million other real problems and this useless sack of bones wants to take what would amount to one of the most expansive and progressive wealth taxes ever and use it to buy Teslas and Priuses for her yuppie peers.

Where's the liberalism, here? Where is the genuine caring about the human condition and how it can be improved?

Instead, with her focus on money-pit pet projects and buzzwording Ocasio-Cortez looks more and more like just another swamp creature.

Pitiful...

I've seen numerous people in the past refer to the 80%+ tax brackets in post-WWII, but as always, there never is any evidence that those tax rates were ever reached/paid by anyone.

Whether this cutoff is 10 million a year or 1 million a year, having an obscene tax rate guarantees it would never be collected.

Underfunded Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid; homeless people starving in droves on the streets of this country's wealthiest cities; and a million other real problems and this useless sack of bones wants to take what would amount to one of the most expansive and progressive wealth taxes ever and use it to buy Teslas and Priuses for her yuppie peers.

Where's the liberalism, here? Where is the genuine caring about the human condition and how it can be improved?

Instead, with her focus on money-pit pet projects and buzzwording Ocasio-Cortez looks more and more like just another swamp creature.

Pitiful...

What's pitiful is that you somehow translated this into "buying people teslas."

I mean that's just ****in ​dumb.

Pitiful...

This is a very strange post. What do Teslas and Priuses have to do with anything?

So basically what you're saying is that you understand less than nothing about the green new deal?

Underfunded SS, Medicare, and Medicaid are all problems that can be solved in other ways, and AOC already has plans to resolve that. The Green New Deal is an addition on top of that. It's a way to create millions of high paying jobs which cannot be shipped overseas while simultaneously reducing our dependency on fossil fuels. Radically lower energy costs, while stunting and reversing the effects of climate change.

It just amazes me how someone like her can be 10 steps ahead of you and yet you arrogantly assume she's the idiot.

Pitiful...

Green New Deal-Solar, wind, tidal, thermal, hydro, etc. It's about eliminating carbon. Your post is deceptive and dishonest.
/

Pitiful...

Raising taxes on the ultrarich, who have a disproportionate amount of America's wealth?

Steering us towards a green economy?

Tell me without using histrionics exactly why this isn't a good idea.

Green New Deal-Solar, wind, tidal, thermal, hydro, etc. It's about eliminating carbon. Your post is deceptive and dishonest.
/

I don't see a US that generates 3,911,000,000,000 Kw-h/Yr via carbon neutral methods in 2030 unless Mr Fusion is in every garage.

Its a pipe dream that will never come to fruition so no big deal.

Pitiful...

Didn't someone else try this "tax the rich" thing in the last couple years? Oh...yeah...the French with their 75% tax on rich people. As I recall, that didn't work out so well and the French dumped the law in the trash.

Maybe Bimbo-Dancer should get an education with a historical focus before she spouts off with stupid ideas.

Raising taxes on the ultrarich, who have a disproportionate amount of America's wealth?

Steering us towards a green economy?

Tell me without using histrionics exactly why this isn't a good idea.

I wish I touched the 70% tax bracket, who doesn’t? Be glad to pay.

Didn't someone else try this "tax the rich" thing in the last couple years? Oh...yeah...the French with their 75% tax on rich people. As I recall, that didn't work out so well and the French dumped the law in the trash.

Maybe Bimbo-Dancer should get an education with a historical focus before she spouts off with stupid ideas.

The French 75% tax was a temporary tax that was designed as a PR stunt for the party faithful. The actual numbers hit by the tax was 2000 or so, and most could avoid it if they wanted too. It was the Trump equivalent of spending 200+ million on a PR stunt by sending troops the border to defend against a non existent invasion.

Maybe Bimbo-Dancer

^
Defends any Trump action, no matter how vile; acts like someone dancing in college is sinful.

Try to be less predictable.

Well... ****...

hopefully the cut off is a million a year, and not say 780k. For reasons...

I've seen numerous people in the past refer to the 80%+ tax brackets in post-WWII, but as always, there never is any evidence that those tax rates were ever reached/paid by anyone.

Whether this cutoff is 10 million a year or 1 million a year, having an obscene tax rate guarantees it would never be collected.
Most history shows the opposite. When taxes are raised to unreasonably high rates on the wealthy they adjust their affairs to avoid the tax. One of the classic ones was imposing a "luxury tax" on new yachts. Several years ago Washington thought they'd nail the super rich by imposing a large surcharge on the purchase of new yachts. Great theory, except people stopped buying yachts, boat builders lost business and had to lay off workers. Meanwhile the rich just puttered around on their old yachts.

So basically what you're saying is that you understand less than nothing about the green new deal?

Underfunded SS, Medicare, and Medicaid are all problems that can be solved in other ways, and AOC already has plans to resolve that. The Green New Deal is an addition on top of that. It's a way to create millions of high paying jobs which cannot be shipped overseas while simultaneously reducing our dependency on fossil fuels. Radically lower energy costs, while stunting and reversing the effects of climate change.

It just amazes me how someone like her can be 10 steps ahead of you and yet you arrogantly assume she's the idiot.

In fairness to JMaximus, she has no plans as such and she’s 0 steps ahead of anyone. This “Green New Deal” is nothing but a Cortez wish list. It has no meat to it at all.

Easy to say when you're nowhere near paying it.

My heart bleeds daily for the extraordinary burdens the US puts on the wealthy. “Oh, the humanity!”

My heart bleeds daily for the extraordinary burdens the US puts on the wealthy. “Oh, the humanity!”

Has nothing to do with what I said, which was about you, not them.

All taxes are minimum requirements. Nobody will stop you from paying more.

Nice try. If you are willing to pay me that much, say for my stunning commentary, I’ll do so gladly

I love the fact that she keeps getting attention on this stuff. I wish we could deal with real problems and all, but if we are going to be drawn off topic, this is a good way. Might as well enjoy the show of everyone treating AOC and her crazy ideas that she worked up as a student and bartender.

It won't last long as she will either have to deal with realities or eventually just be ignored. I'm seeing 3 threads a day right now tho. Gonna enjoy it while it lasts.

Pitiful...

I'm old enough to recall that when the taxes were 70% on the super-rich the standard of living was much higher than it is now and we had no trouble funding the highway system back in the fifties

The actual tax the super-rich paid was closer to 50% during those years, the point is if you want the charge 50% you got to put it at 80%

Rate isn't high enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom