• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ocasio-Cortez compares members of migrant caravan to Jews fleeing Nazi Germany

Good luck with that, as I'm the sponsor for multiple people getting their green cards.

"I can't be racist. I have black friends!"

There's no other reason to be anti-asylum. The only reason to be against someone getting the opportunity to claim asylum is because you're anti-immigrant.

Has anyone mentioned the fact that she didn't actually compare the caravan to Jews fleeing Nazi Germany? She included them in a list alongside Jews and other refugees like Syrians.

As Ruth Buzzi said, 'Nevermind.'

When applying for asylum, yes, it matters.

What variable in the violence they suffer makes a difference to how you treat a victim? If their oppressor has a lot of money, is that ok?

MTAtech said:
Getting slightly off-topic. Why do you think America is the best country in the world?
Because I live here and I like it. Been rooting for this team since I was born, even when we miss the playoffs and only get draft picks.
Other people live elsewhere and they like it too. I was looking for some type of objective criteria.

There's no other reason to be anti-asylum. The only reason to be against someone getting the opportunity to claim asylum is because you're anti-immigrant.

Keep it up, your personal attacks are a joy to read.

What variable in the violence they suffer makes a difference to how you treat a victim? If their oppressor has a lot of money, is that ok?

The law is the law, and gang violence, mentioned by other posters, isn't a valid asylum reason.

Other people live elsewhere and they like it too. I was looking for some type of objective criteria.

I have none, as I have no personal experience living elsewhere( excluding vacationing ).

The objective is not to stop people from claiming asylum. The objective is to have them do so through established, legal processes.

They were offered asylum in Mexico, they refused.

There is no reason to take any of them seriously at this point.

Irrelevant to the fact that they're seeking asylum here.

There's no reason to take your post seriously.

I thought it was an inept government that was corrupt and it was gang violence that caused the high murder rate, not a genocide. Do you have proof of that.

Google 'genocide Honduras' and 'genocide Guatemala'. You'll get plenty.

Keep it up, your personal attacks are a joy to read.

I haven't attacked you, yet you feel attacked. Victim complex is a tangible symptom of proto-fascist thinking.

Do you need a safe space so you don't feel attacked? Maybe a trigger warning?

The law is the law, and gang violence, mentioned by other posters, isn't a valid asylum reason.

Yet you are attacking these people for going through the process for claiming asylum as outlined by the law. Why is that?

The objective is not to stop people from claiming asylum. The objective is to have them do so through established, legal processes.

Yet they are going through an established, legal process, so why are you opposed to them doing so?

They're fleeing a murderous regimes, at least two of which have engaged in genocidal violence.

This apparently upsets you.

Like, bummer, man.

Then why are they still waving their flag if it so bad back home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many of them are fleeing violence. Does the source really matter?

Maybe they should have a civil war like we did, but dang they don’t have the right to guns to fight a tyrannical government, this should serve as a example for gun grabbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These Honduran flag waving brown people are not wanted in America (a country that wasn't specifically created for them)

They're fleeing a murderous regimes, at least two of which have engaged in genocidal violence.

This apparently upsets you.

Like, bummer, man.
No, the migrants, soon to be illegal aliens, are fleeing gang violence. Most of them do not qualify for asylum.

The right wing has built themselves up into this frenzy that this migrant caravan is literally some kind of ISIS invasion force, and therefore they are the "bad guys." That's how someone thinks Cortez' statement is stupid.

:lamo
Cool sound-bytes.
:lamo

Yet you are attacking these people for going through the process for claiming asylum as outlined by the law. Why is that?

Throwing rocks at border patrol is the first step in applying for asylum, my bad.

The actual legal process is, approach border patrol agent, state "I would like to apply for asylum". Odd how none of them have done that.

She was making a broader point about people seeking refuge from perceived oppression, the various causes of oppression being secondary.

Mocking her intelligence has become SOP for her critics. I suspect in an IQ contest between Alexandria and the OP the odds in her favor would be around ten to one.

She was making an appeal to emotion and showed her ignorance of history.

Oh yeah.....history.

Like how historical conservatives were the driving force in trying to keep German Jews out of the US.

And how the "America First" movement cozied up with brutal dictators like Hitler and Mussolini.

Or how like liberal icon and lionized leader like FDR rounded up Asians and put them in camps...

No drug gangs or cartels in Mexico. Even if Mexico was safe, people emigrate to the U.S. so that their family may have a better life in a place of great opportunity. It's the same reason that the rest of us got here.

You don't have a right to be here, that's the thing. There is a PROCESS to enter the USA LEGALLY. And that's all WE'RE asking these and anyone else to do, is FOLLOW the LEGAL process.

And you, and others attack us as hateful, stupid, racist or whatever insults you can throw to avoid having to debate the reality that what you want requires ignoring our own laws.

Back
Top Bottom