• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ocasio Cortez: ‘The World is Going to End In Twelve Years If We Don’t Address Climate Change’

I’m sure you’re right. I’m sure if AOC clarified, she’d say what you just guessed.

But really—are conservatives who mock her after understanding? Of course not. That’s too difficult for them.

Conservatives don’t really care about what AOC means. They’ll be quote hunting her speeches for years to come, and she’s young and new to politics, so she’ll continue to make remarks like this, and they’ll continue to purposely misunderstand her, just so that they can keep pretending to themselves that they are more intelligent than she is.

And the best part? She has shown that what they think about her bounces right off.

It's almost childish, no wait...IT IS childish because they're actually signaling how terrified they are of her, which is good.
Using the reverse barometer principle, if a candidate terrifies the Trump contingent, that is the candidate to pick most likely, but AOC isn't even a candidate, she CAN'T be. But they're so terrified of her that they're trying to build a case for six years into the future when she meets the age requirement.

That's a lot of giant walking amygdalas.

Amygdala1.jpg

Dimwits who purposely misunderstand things can get annoying, true, especially when they act intellectually superior and smug about it.

I’m proud of her. She is a success.

She's a ****ing joke.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1543972056744.jpg
    FB_IMG_1543972056744.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 35
  • FB_IMG_1547096946393.jpg
    FB_IMG_1547096946393.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 35
We used to go down there at least once a year. I could still probably make my way around there without a guide even now.
When I saw the flooding, I knew what neighborhoods I was looking at.
It looked like the sort of thing that only happened once in fifty years but people were on camera talking about how it was now almost a regular occurrence.

Upstate New Yorkers almost never thought about hurricanes except as a rare phenomenon. As a kid I NEVER EVER saw "Hurricane Evacuation Route" signs up in the Albany area, but now they are everywhere up there because now upstate New York admits to having a "hurricane season", the notion of which is pure insanity to anyone my age.

New York is proposing, for the first time in history, a Storm Surge Barrier system.
They have to. What used to be referred to as a 500 year flood event is now regarded as a FIVE year flood event.
Unbelievable, and one of the so called "most prominent" real estate developers in the area denies that a problem even exists, and he's in the White House now.
Only the truly stupid argue that mankind’s actions are not damaging our environment.

While I found Obama to be a bit too “the sky is falling” regarding his environmental initiatives, at least he recognized there is a real and growing problem. Trump, on the other hand, dismisses the science involved and say's “we can save a little bit” of our environment. I’ve no doubt that his slashing of environmental laws/regs will negatively impact the future for our kids and their kids.

Let me guess: the only way to stop the end of the world is to give the government total control of the private sector. :lamo

Who said that? I don't see that comment on this thread.

End of the world ... she's a bonehead on so many levels.

She may have been trying to refer to reports like this:

https://www.businessinsider.com/cli...tens-of-millions-into-poverty-by-2031-2016-10

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/20...cc-report-changes-needed-cabrera-live-vpx.cnn

There is a time frame for taking action to prevent some really serious catastrophes, but the world is most certainly not ending. This planet will still be here long after we've become extinct.

The conservatives are hella scared of her! LMAO!

She is marginally intelligent, and woefully inexperienced in Real Life. The public teat is her FIRST FULLTIME JOB, for Pete's sake.

Please cite ANYONE "terrified" of ANYTHING she has said or done.

She is a HOOT!!! And we enjoy the entertainment.

I was wondering who would be taking over for Maxine Waters in that capacity.

"Obsessed" would be YOU about Pres.Trump, and his ENTIRE FAMILY....

Couldn’t care less about Trump’s family. Trump’s ignorance puts anything you might say abou AOC to shame. Presidency was Trump’s first real job as well.

It's almost childish, no wait...IT IS childish because they're actually signaling how terrified they are of her, which is good.
Using the reverse barometer principle, if a candidate terrifies the Trump contingent, that is the candidate to pick most likely, but AOC isn't even a candidate, she CAN'T be. But they're so terrified of her that they're trying to build a case for six years into the future when she meets the age requirement.

That's a lot of giant walking amygdalas.

View attachment 67248575

I don’t know why she’s so threatening to them, but I have more than one guess.

She’s new. She makes lots of mistakes. All of that is to be expected.

The reaction of conservatives to her was a surprise.

What I like most about how they act toward her is that she gives it right back, undaunted.

And her grasp of social media is far better than most politicians.

I have little doubt she’ll get better at her job and be around for a while.

We aren't going to destroy the planet. We are going to destroy us.

Carlin was so spot on with this. I've often cited this particular skit over the years. Thanks for posting

Carlin was so spot on with this. I've often cited this particular skit over the years. Thanks for posting

Carlin was a comedian who said some very funny things. Comedians are not experts in a field in which they have training and long experience, to which they've devoted their lives, other than the field of comedy.

The complaint separately clashes with conservative melt-downs that seem to occur every time a comedian says something they don't like. The good comedians are the ones who make jokes that they think support them. The bad ones are, well, threatening scary liberals.

Y'know...FYI.

Carlin was a comedian who said some very funny things. Comedians are not experts in a field in which they have training and long experience, to which they've devoted their lives, other than the field of comedy.

The complaint separately clashes with conservative melt-downs that seem to occur every time a comedian says something they don't like. The good comedians are the ones who make jokes that they think support them. The bad ones are, well, threatening scary liberals.

Y'know...FYI.

Carlin is 100% correct on the arrogance that man thinks he can destroy the earth. Like he said, the earth will be here long after we are gone. We can only destroy ourselves. Our time here isnt even a spec in the grand scheme of the earths longevity. We will be gone and the next species will take over as has always been the case.

Dear lord its like a sea of triggered conservative snowflakes...

Carlin is 100% correct on the arrogance that man thinks he can destroy the earth. Like he said, the earth will be here long after we are gone. We can only destroy ourselves. Our time here isnt even a spec in the grand scheme of the earths longevity. We will be gone and the next species will take over as has always been the case.

Well, now, I'm impressed. I may even have made an incorrect assumption about what was being said. Yes, we are imagined gnats on someone else's wall.

The best thing we can hope for is that we are toy soldiers in someone else's war, to be rewarded so long as we honor rules we made up for ourselves that oh-so-luckily correspond to some grand design, which just so happens to ....generally line up with being a decent nice person. ("reform" version of some religions).

The thing that is most likely the truth is a blessing or curse depending on one's view of free will: it's all a big ****ing accident. A marvelous one, but an accident. Matter and energy over so much time we cannot imagine just so happened, in just the right set of circumstances, to create the existence of self-containing and self-continuing systems of matter and energy; life, in a word. And, billions of years later (they recently had to revise their opinion of when life on Earth started), here we strange systems of self-perpetuating matter that seem to have a non-physical existence tied to a physical body, able to reason, are.

Yet, our existence is a long sad tale of self-defeat. Death, murder, rape, horrors. Of tribalist misery. And no matter how much science and philosophy, or the like, has advanced us, we have equally advanced the means of self-destruction. We are belligerent. And, frankly, 12,000ish years of "civilization" is nowhere near enough time to evolve out of that which is now bad but in the past contributed to our success in getting to where we are.

Sports teams, politics, everything: us and them.

And the most likely sad extrapolation is that no science fiction warp drives are possible, there's no good way to create, expand, and stabilize the kind of wormhole predicted by quantum physics (like, sub-atomic particle size, existing for -10^20th of a second, but still connecting to randomly disparate points in spacetime). There wont' be any alien contact, unless it be the age-old remnants of a long-dead civilization. We are alone, we are fools, and we are angry.

Yes, we'll probably destroy ourselves.

Have a good night, eh? I like to go with this:

"I don't know what's gonna happen, man. I don't know what's gonna happen. <cheers>. But I'll tell you this, man, I'll tell you this: I'm gonna have my kicks before the whole ****house goes up in flames, allright. ALLRIGHT!" - Jim Morrison (one intro to Roadhouse Blues, live; "Absolutely Live")

Dear lord its like a sea of triggered conservative snowflakes...

Look who leads them:

some-triggered-snowflakes-3-5c3.png

Well, now, I'm impressed. I may even have made an incorrect assumption about what was being said. Yes, we are imagined gnats on someone else's wall.

The best thing we can hope for is that we are toy soldiers in someone else's war, to be rewarded so long as we honor rules we made up for ourselves that oh-so-luckily correspond to some grand design, which just so happens to ....generally line up with being a decent nice person. ("reform" version of some religions).

The thing that is most likely the truth is a blessing or curse depending on one's view of free will: it's all a big ****ing accident. A marvelous one, but an accident. Matter and energy over so much time we cannot imagine just so happened, in just the right set of circumstances, to create the existence of self-containing and self-continuing systems of matter and energy; life, in a word. And, billions of years later (they recently had to revise their opinion of when life on Earth started), here we strange systems of self-perpetuating matter that seem to have a non-physical existence tied to a physical body, able to reason, are.

Yet, our existence is a long sad tale of self-defeat. Death, murder, rape, horrors. Of tribalist misery. And no matter how much science and philosophy, or the like, has advanced us, we have equally advanced the means of self-destruction. We are belligerent. And, frankly, 12,000ish years of "civilization" is nowhere near enough time to evolve out of that which is now bad but in the past contributed to our success in getting to where we are.

Sports teams, politics, everything: us and them.

And the most likely sad extrapolation is that no science fiction warp drives are possible, there's no good way to create, expand, and stabilize the kind of wormhole predicted by quantum physics (like, sub-atomic particle size, existing for -10^20th of a second, but still connecting to randomly disparate points in spacetime). There wont' be any alien contact, unless it be the age-old remnants of a long-dead civilization. We are alone, we are fools, and we are angry.

Yes, we'll probably destroy ourselves.

Have a good night, eh? I like to go with this:

"I don't know what's gonna happen, man. I don't know what's gonna happen. <cheers>. But I'll tell you this, man, I'll tell you this: I'm gonna have my kicks before the whole ****house goes up in flames, allright. ALLRIGHT!" - Jim Morrison (one intro to Roadhouse Blues, live; "Absolutely Live")

Good post Mr Person. We deserve ourselves and whatever the outcome is. Of course we could be wiped out tomorrow by an asteroid in which case everthing is moot.

The conservatives are hella scared of her! LMAO!

Scared of her? In what way?

I don't think she's as representative of the younger voters as you may think. I think she has a lot to learn. At least she was smart enough to back off and let Pelosi take the gavel. For at least the next two years, Democrats need someone with experience, knowledge, savvy, and guts as Speaker. Ocasio-Cortez is fresh and new, but she does and says some silly things.

I don’t know why she’s so threatening to them, but I have more than one guess.

She’s new. She makes lots of mistakes. All of that is to be expected.

The reaction of conservatives to her was a surprise.

What I like most about how they act toward her is that she gives it right back, undaunted.

And her grasp of social media is far better than most politicians.

I have little doubt she’ll get better at her job and be around for a while.

Perhaps liberals were threatened by Dan Quayle.

Or

He was just a blithering idiot just like Ocasio Cortez.

I guess it's different for liberals when the idiots are on their side.

Perhaps liberals were threatened by Dan Quayle.

Or

He was just a blithering idiot just like Ocasio Cortez.

I guess it's different for liberals when the idiots are on their side.

No, Democrats have their share of people like that.

This obsession that conservatives have with her isn’t close to that.

Back
Top Bottom