• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Obscene United State Supreme Court judge?

KidRocks said:
Golly gee, we already have an alleged pervert on the USSC (Thomas) and now it seems we have an out of control religious extremist too. What is wrong with that nut Scalia? Talk about no respect.

For God's sake, he is a US Supreme Court judge, why doesen't he act like one? I don't trust that wanna be activist judge. Do you?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/27/scalia.gesture.ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia used an Italian hand gesture when questioned by a reporter after attending church this past weekend.

The Boston Herald reported Monday that the justice made "an obscene gesture under his chin" -- which prompted some online reports that Scalia had used his middle finger...

No more obscene than getting blow jobs in the oval office while discussing troop movements in Kosovo, in fact I'd say it is alot less obscene and would venture that it was an appropriate response to an inappropriate question. Everyone in this country has the right to practice their faith as they see fit that's why we have that little thing called the 1st amendemnt, it makes no difference whether they're a supreme court judge or not.

Re: Scalia Gives a Sicilian Gift

talloulou said:
I don't think he made himself look silly. I think it's funny. And the fact that he can attend mass one minute and give a reporter the finger on his way out the door a minute later proves he has no trouble being impartial to me. :rofl

Actually, I feel the same way. Too much communion wine can make an old crab lots of fun to be around. LOL.

Deegan said:
"So easily", this has been going on since he was confirmed, now they are waiting outside his church for God's sake!:roll:

Its part of the job, Deegan.

BTW, sorry for not specifying your post as the first with some thought behind it, since it was. :)

danarhea said:
Its part of the job, Deegan.

BTW, sorry for not specifying your post as the first with some thought behind it, since it was. :)

Thanks, to your point, most are not life time positions, and the man is getting old, they get cranky, also part of the job.;)

danarhea said:
If Scalia can be so rankled so easily, then his ability to rule impartially seems to be impaired. A Supreme is no better than any other civil servant, be that a Congressman or a President. If he cant take the heat, he needs to get out of the kitchen. He might learn a few things from Bush. Say what you want about him, but he conducts himself presidentially in that regard. Am glad Scalia is not an ambassador. I can see him starting World War III with his middle finger. LOL.

Good grief.....the reporter was trying to bait him into an argument about his relgion on the doorsteps of the church. Plus I'm sure this happens all the time. I think it's funny and your making way too much of it.

Now if he turned around, dropped his pants, and mooned the reporter than maybe I'd agree his judgement is impaired. Then again I'd probably like him even more. :moon:

What should offend you is the reporter who stands outside of church so he can bait a man into an argument about whether his faith distracts from his ability to do his job. That's what should offend you.

Deegan said:
Thanks, to your point, most are not life time positions, and the man is getting old, they get cranky, also part of the job.;)
Which is why more cranky old men should overdose on communion wine from time to time. LOL.

Seriously, I started this thread unseriously, but look how serious it has gotten.

BTW, I am off to the nearest rectory (Latin for liquor store) to get some communion wine. If it can have this kind of effect on Scalia, I am sure it will do wonders for me. LOL.

talloulou said:
Here's what he said after he flipped the guy off:

“It’s none of their business,” continued Scalia, who was the keynote speaker at yesterday’s Catholic Lawyers’ Guild luncheon. “This is my spiritual life. I shall lead it the way I like.”

Amen Judge! Good for you.

KidRocks said:
What is wrong with that nut Scalia? Talk about no respect....
This is the part you left out, kid.

The paper said that Scalia also said: "This is my spiritual life. I shall lead it the way I like."

To that I say, Good job, judge.

Originally posted by KCConservative:
Scalia can go to hell.

Deegan said:
Anyone ever think to question how we seem to be treating our civil servants? I mean, I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for them, but we do force these kinds of frustrations sometimes, and that says more about us, then it does about them. This man has been good enough to speak at many places, and to all kinds of people, and he gets some tuff questions, I have been there when this has happened.

At my law school, a student asked Scalia if he sodomized his wife. His wife was present in the room. He looked at the student with a disdainful expression and moved on to the next question.

If he showed that kind of restraint in that scenario, I'd give him a free pass on this one. If it was even wrong to do, which it's not. Although it might hurt his chances when he runs for re-election...

RightatNYU said:
At my law school, a student asked Scalia if he sodomized his wife. His wife was present in the room. He looked at the student with a disdainful expression and moved on to the next question.

If he showed that kind of restraint in that scenario, I'd give him a free pass on this one. If it was even wrong to do, which it's not. Although it might hurt his chances when he runs for re-election...

I thought the joke was supposed to be: have you sodomized your wife recently?

But seriously are you serious some little sh!t in your class actually asked that question?

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
I thought the joke was supposed to be: have you sodomized your wife recently?

But seriously are you serious some little sh!t in your class actually asked that question?

Not a joke. It wasn't even in a class, how sad is that. The man was being honored by a prestigious journal, and kindly agreed to do a Q&A with students.

http://volokh.com/posts/1113585884.shtml

RightatNYU said:
Not a joke. It wasn't even in a class, how sad is that. The man was being honored by a prestigious journal, and kindly agreed to do a Q&A with students.

http://volokh.com/posts/1113585884.shtml

And this guy is in law school? He sounds like a freaking idiot, I mean he had the opportunity to ask a serious question to a Supreme Court judge, I mean he could have asked him something that he didn't agree with like Eminent Domain, Scalia did vote yay on Kelo V New London right?

Edit: closer inspection he dissented but the point still stands.

Scalia flipped the bird? While it shows he is human, I would think that a man sitting on the highest court in the land would show some class and dignity. But why would I expect someone who went duck hunting with Dick Cheney and took Air Force Two to get there and then subsequently refuse to recuse himself from a case involving Cheney to show any sort of class and dignity. I should not be remotely surprised by his low-class actions.

Me thinks that Scalia is protesting too much. He obviously feels defensive for a reason. Anyone who is secure in their ability to be impartial wouldn't have behaved that way.

Last edited:
aps said:
Scalia flipped the bird? While it shows he is human, I would think that a man sitting on the highest court in the land would show some class and dignity. But why would I expect someone who went duck hunting with Dick Cheney and took Air Force Two to get there and then subsequently refuse to recuse himself from a case involving Cheney to show any sort of class and dignity. I should not be remotely surprised by his low-class actions.

Me thinks that Scalia is protesting too much. He obviously feels defensive for a reason. Anyone who is secure in their ability to be impartial wouldn't have behaved that way.

Yes. How dare him for wanting a private life while attending church with his family. You would have done the same thing, aps.

KCConservative said:
This is the part you left out, kid.

The paper said that Scalia also said: "This is my spiritual life. I shall lead it the way I like."

This is my spiritual life. I shall lead it the way I like.

Anyone else notice the hypocricy? I mean here we have a supposedly good Christian man making an obscene gesture right on the front steps of God's house... nice!

"F... You" says Scalia without repent. What great courage and strength he demonstrated before our Father. What great nobility of purpose, what a hero.

But, to be fair he is not alone in his dramatics, Cheney is also foul-mouthed as is Paul Wolfowitz and of course, President Bush.

KidRocks said:
Anyone else notice the hypocricy? I mean here we have a supposedly good Christian man making an obscene gesture right on the front steps of God's house... nice!

"F... You" says Scalia without repent. What great courage and strength he demonstrated before our Father. What great nobility of purpose, what a hero.

But, to be fair he is not alone in his dramatics, Cheney is also foul-mouthed as is Paul Wolfowitz and of course, President Bush.

And as Christians, Scalia knows that none of us are perfect...that we all sin...and that by following Christ's example (and going to church), we will be forgiven. I am glad the judge let the reporter know, in no uncertain terms, that there is a line not to be crossed. I'm guessing that the line, for Scalia, at least, was on church property. Tell us your thoughts on freedom of speech, kid.

KCConservative said:
Yes. How dare him for wanting a private life while attending church with his family. You would have done the same thing, aps.

Excuse me? I would never give someone the finger if I was a judge. No way--no how. I would have done what my parents told me when I was growing up, "Ignore the question." Then you don't give any importance to the question. That also conveys that such is a private question. Although, in some respects, it's relevant to his job.

When people give the finger, they look like trash, in my opinion. I'm not saying I'm perfect, but I would certainly never pull that kind of behavior if I had a prestigious job.

aps said:
Excuse me? I would never give someone the finger if I was a judge. No way--no how. I would have done what my parents told me when I was growing up, "Ignore the question." Then you don't give any importance to the question. That also conveys that such is a private question. Although, in some respects, it's relevant to his job.

When people give the finger, they look like trash, in my opinion. I'm not saying I'm perfect, but I would certainly never pull that kind of behavior if I had a prestigious job.
And so that's the difference between Judge Scalia and you. Good thing it's a free country, huh?

What is the point of this thread?

This is like trying to determine truth by someones shoe size.
Completely illogical.

vauge said:
What is the point of this thread?

This is like trying to determine truth by someones shoe size.
Completely illogical.

The point of the thread that I started was humor. However, my thread was merged with another thread of a more serious nature. Problem is that the name of the thread is that of the other thread, and the name of the poster who started it is me, not the other guy. Makes it look like I am being unhumorous in my humor. Example of a merging gone bad. LOL.

KCConservative said:
And so that's the difference between Judge Scalia and you. Good thing it's a free country, huh?

Yes. I have class, and he doesn't. Thank goodness for good upbringing.

Back
Top Bottom