• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obey-Waters clash on House floor

akyron

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
"House Appropriations Committee Chairman David Obey (D-Wisc.) and Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) engaged in a late afternoon shouting match on the House floor after Obey reportedly rebuffed Waters on a $1 million earmark request, aides and witnesses said.

Witnesses, speaking on condition of anonymity, said it appeared that Waters pushed or shoved Obey.

The pair were seen shouting at each other and had to be separated by members -- who were gathered on the floor casting final votes before heading off to a party at the White House.

Waters, according a Democratic staffer familiar with the situation, approached Obey to ask him to fund one of her longstanding earmarks, the Maxine Waters Employment Preparation Center.

Obey -- who irked Waters a few weeks back by banning "Monuments to me" funding projects named after the politicians that earmark them -- told her no, emphatically enough to be heard across the chamber.

"I'm not going to approve that earmark!" Obey shouted."

-----------------------
I can just imagine that conversation.

Obey-" We just approved trillions of dollars of gratuitous spending...We must hold STANDARDS! Anything named after YOU doesn’t meet our bullshiite requirements"!

Waters-"You old bastigate mutha<bleep>..<POW>.

Didn't that senile hag punch a policeman last year already when he did not genuflect as she tried to strong-arm her way through security?

Such a peaceful leftist.:doh

Two people get mad at each other resulting in... no action and this is breaking news? Is this just a politically motivated attack on Democrats? I don't really see the issue here except for the fact that they both have a D next to their name. If two Republicans did the same thing, would this still be an issue to you?

Two people get mad at each other resulting in... no action and this is breaking news? Is this just a politically motivated attack on Democrats? I don't really see the issue here except for the fact that they both have a D next to their name. If two Republicans did the same thing, would this still be an issue to you?

It would still be amusing yes. The funny part I thought was maxine would have been a recidivist in punching people that thwart her will.

She will have to be content with making the 13 'Most Corrupt' in Congress list.

"• Rep. Maxine Waters: The report cites a December 2004 Los Angeles Times investigation disclosing how members of the congresswoman's family have made more than $1 million in the last eight years by doing business with companies, candidates and causes that Waters has helped. Before publication of the Times investigation last year, Waters declined to be interviewed, but said of her family members: "They do their business, and I do mine.""

But wait..it was not Waters that punched that cop. It was

McKinney apologizes for scuffle with officer

My bad. A trend of old deranged congresswomen slapping and punching people is not really news. The entire congress is slapping and punching the american people right now. Maybe stabbing. *yawn*

congress.org

To be honest, I still don't think it's breaking news personally. I guess it's kinda funny and pretty immature but nothing really stands out to me as something important. I guess it just seems gossipy to me and I despise gossip.

To be honest, I still don't think it's breaking news personally. I guess it's kinda funny and pretty immature but nothing really stands out to me as something important. I guess it just seems gossipy to me and I despise gossip.

My bad. I was only going by the date and congressional silliness.

June 25, 2009. I did not see the important news area. Nothing important ever happens in congress anyway.

Oh and we all kept a million tax dollars over this argument.

My bad. I was only going by the date and congressional silliness.

June 25, 2009. I did not see the important news area. Nothing important ever happens in congress anyway.

Oh and we all kept a million tax dollars over this argument.

How many people are the $1 mil spread over? If it's 200+ mil of the US, then I'll give my pennies and be done with the whole thing.

How many people are the $1 mil spread over? If it's 200+ mil of the US, then I'll give my pennies and be done with the whole thing.

I would rather it not go into a monument to herself. Thank you.

I for one am glad that David Obey showed that he had some balls in standing up to that bombastic troublemaking wench.

ps no I believe that it was another einsteinian congresswomanperson from Georgia who attacked a Capital pollice officer.

I would rather it not go into a monument to herself. Thank you.

It would go towards the Maxine Waters Employment Preparation Center.

Mission
The mission of Maxine Waters Employment Preparation Center is to provide equal, accessible and quality educational programs to assist students from diverse age groups and cultural backgrounds to develop the skills and confidence necessary to meet their educational goals and realize their human potential.

Maxine Waters Employment Preparation Center

Are you anti-education?

Obey shoulda socked her right on the kisser.

We have progressed a little ??:mrgreen:
In the early days, fist fights would break out ; then law makers would shoot each other...
I'd admit, its my idea that these fools serve four, rather than two years.
Some should not serve two days !!:3oops:

There should be more physical fights in congress, it might get people to pay attention to government more.

CWF!

Congressional Wrestling Federation!

Put a mat in the center isle.

CWF!

Congressional Wrestling Federation!

Put a mat in the center isle.

Where is the WWE when you need them could you see the pay for view on this one.

My neighbor yelled at me.

Two members of Congress shoving each other on the House floor is certainly newsworthy.

I know. They should do it more often, perhaps the people of this country would be more interested in their activities then.

:doh

Seriously, all that is a monument to herself. She wants the taxpayers to fund her "legacy".

This kind of junk crosses party lines, there are ton of buildings, roads, etc named after crummy politicians.

Prove this? If not, then you are against a building that would help facilitate more education. Thus, in this case you would be anti-education.

Prove this? If not, then you are against a building that would help facilitate more education. Thus, in this case you would be anti-education.

Are you serious? I mean really, it's a building named after herself what else do you need?

Lol at you for anti education. :lol:

Are you serious? I mean really, it's a building named after herself what else do you need?

Lol at you for anti education. :lol:

Who cares what it's called. This is the stupidest argument I've ever seen. The ONLY problem you have with this is that it's an education building named after whoever we're talking about. If she called it "The Center for Learning and Higher Education" would this still be an issue? The name doesn't matter. How many times have you walked by a building and went "Wow, whoever this building is named after is a great person." NOT TO MENTION that if nobody uses this building, it won't have any purpose. Only if it's successful will her "legacy" or whatever be preserved.

So, if you're against a building whose stated goal is for educating people, in this particular case you're anti-education. I like how you don't even answer the point though and pretend like I'm in the wrong. Lol at you for empty arguments.

Two members of Congress shoving each other on the House floor is certainly newsworthy.

Indeed, I was surprised at the faint revelation of humanity behind Congresspeoples' robotic metal exteriors. It'll probably subside though.

I wish I was in Congress. I would shove people every day. Sometimes with fists. I'd be the best Congressman ever.

Back
Top Bottom