• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

obesity observation

It's not a mania. Vaccines have prevented likely 100s of thousands of deaths, and multiples of that serious illnesses. Right now as we speak those getting sick and dying are almost all unvaccinated. It's RATIONAL to get vaccinated unless you want to die or maybe survive a horrible few days in ICU.

You missed the point of this post. If you don't have risk factors like advanced age or heart disease, etc., you are very unlikely to get a bad case of covid. UNLESS you are fat.

Not a red state. Debate Politics doesn't need to know where I live.

Fair enough but then why would you post about it?

This obesity problem you have in your area is not readily observable in my area, NYC metro.

I got the vaccine. The main side effect I've experienced is that I keep getting up in the morning. That can be annoying when it's really early, but I hear that dying in agony and then getting cremated is worse.
Are you holding seances? :)

So why are Americans so fat? At least where I live, in the suburbs of a big city, if anyone is thin it's probably because they have a terminal disease.
Mostly diet, which is why obesity follows the 'western' diet. Sugar, unhealthy manufactured fats, etc. It's not exercise. There were almost no gyms in the U.S. in the 1950s and people stayed thin. We used to eat real food and didn't get fat. Now we eat manufactured garbage loaded with sugar and obesity is normal. It's not exercise that changed.

multiples of that serious illnesses.

agree with your post

I'd just like to point out that "serious illness" is very misleading. I have head countless stories of people who suffered horribly from this who never were categorized as "serious illness." This illness is that bad.

I have walked every day, for most of my life. I try to be sensible about nutrition, but I don't like to cook so my diet is really not that great. I think all you have to do is walk an hour or more every day.
Ever seen a fat clerk at a department store. They're on their feet for hours and walk a lot more than an hour per day. There are obese nurses. They walk constantly. Your anecdote isn't evidence. What's likely is you have good genes, and walk an hour a day. If you had bad genes, and obesity is genetic, it wouldn't work for you. That's why blaming people based on ignorance is not a good look.

You missed the point of this post. If you don't have risk factors like advanced age or heart disease, etc., you are very unlikely to get a bad case of covid. UNLESS you are fat.
Right, but since obesity is common, and you and others are around others who are old, who are at risk because of obesity and other health problems, if you care about others you'd care that vaccines do prevent illness and do for most prevent spreading disease, and not spreading lies about what vaccines do or don't do. It's not a "mania" to care about the well being of others enough to get a vaccine that WILL save lives, WILL prevent serious illness and is incredibly safe for the vast majority of those getting vaccinated.

Yes, the propaganda says they are highly effective and safe. So believe the propaganda and stay fat. It's easier.
What's the alternative source of your information? Can you cite the non-propaganda source that tells us the TRUTH!!! about vaccines and how they're not effective or safe, and also explains how this source for THE TRUTH obtained these data the lying liberal media don't want us to know?

For what It's worth, the most obesity is in South Pacific countries, the least in South Asia. This is how the CIA World Factbook ranks them...

It is a problem in the US but at 36% not as big a problem as some think. Countries like Canada and Australia at 29% are not far behind.
It might be interesting to put this list beside a list of countries ranked by life expectancy. Doubt I'll actually do that though.

Last edited:
What's the alternative source of your information? Can you cite the non-propaganda source that tells us the TRUTH!!! about vaccines and how they're not effective or safe, and also explains how this source for THE TRUTH obtained these data the lying liberal media don't want us to know?
Baffling, innit, how some people can scorn mainstream science but believe some dumbass on the internet who tells them to get some horse dewormer at the vet supply.

For what It's worth, the most obesity is in South Pacific countries, the least in South Asia. This is how the CIA World Factbook ranks them...

It is a problem in the US but at 36% not as big a problem as some think. Countries like Canada and Australia at 29% are not far behind.
It might be interesting to put this list beside a list of countries ranked by life expectancy. Doubt I'll actually do that though.
Unsurprisingly, the lowest life expectancies are in Africa and parts of the Caribbean. The fat countries in your list are actually average--many of them with L/E over 75.

Conclusion: Fat does not kill at rates anywhere near war, famine and disease.

In America? I don't think so. Where'd you get that idea?

Obviously there are variations, a percent less or more here and there. But everywhere in America is fat.

I've seen the numbers. I lived in Europe. I lived in Africa. America is absurdly fat.
It actually does vary a lot from state to state. For example, in Massachusetts where I live the adult obesity rate is only at 25% while in Mississippi it's at 40%. When I traveled down south something I noticed is that in some places the people there are in general noticeably fatter.

It actually does vary a lot from state to state. For example, in Massachusetts where I live the adult obesity rate is only at 25% while in Mississippi it's at 40%. When I traveled down south something I noticed is that in some places the people there are in general noticeably fatter.

I could argue there's no real difference, especially compared to any other country, but thanks for the actual numbers.

Reactions: AJG
Fair enough but then why would you post about it?

This obesity problem you have in your area is not readily observable in my area, NYC metro.

NYC has good public transportation. Everyone walks to work, or to the subway station. Walking even a half hour a day can prevent obesity. I have been to NYC and I saw how thin and healthy the people look.

Mostly diet, which is why obesity follows the 'western' diet. Sugar, unhealthy manufactured fats, etc. It's not exercise. There were almost no gyms in the U.S. in the 1950s and people stayed thin. We used to eat real food and didn't get fat. Now we eat manufactured garbage loaded with sugar and obesity is normal. It's not exercise that changed.

It is mostly exercise. Doctors are telling people to eat less, and they are not telling them exercise would have prevented them getting fatter every year. Eating less slows the metabolism and guarantees you will get fatter every year.

agree with your post

I'd just like to point out that "serious illness" is very misleading. I have head countless stories of people who suffered horribly from this who never were categorized as "serious illness." This illness is that bad.

And yet the MAJORITY of those who get covid have a mild case, or no symptoms at all. We don't even know how many had it without symptoms, since most of them didn't get tested.

Ever seen a fat clerk at a department store. They're on their feet for hours and walk a lot more than an hour per day. There are obese nurses. They walk constantly. Your anecdote isn't evidence. What's likely is you have good genes, and walk an hour a day. If you had bad genes, and obesity is genetic, it wouldn't work for you. That's why blaming people based on ignorance is not a good look.

Being on your feet all day is different from doing a sustained fast walk.

Right, but since obesity is common, and you and others are around others who are old, who are at risk because of obesity and other health problems, if you care about others you'd care that vaccines do prevent illness and do for most prevent spreading disease, and not spreading lies about what vaccines do or don't do. It's not a "mania" to care about the well being of others enough to get a vaccine that WILL save lives, WILL prevent serious illness and is incredibly safe for the vast majority of those getting vaccinated.

Anyone who is at risk can get a vaccine. Anyone who is not at risk should not be forced or pressured into it.

I am not talking about all vaccines, only the new covid vaccines. We all know there is censorship, and the "dangerous misinformation" that these vaccines could be harmful is not allowed on mainstream media.

I have spent a lot of time searching and found information by qualified immunologists and virologists who are concerned about these vaccines.

Unsurprisingly, the lowest life expectancies are in Africa and parts of the Caribbean. The fat countries in your list are actually average--many of them with L/E over 75.

Conclusion: Fat does not kill at rates anywhere near war, famine and disease.

So what? That means it's ok to be fat? Just because you can survive taking 20 pills a day, and spending half your time in doctor's offices?

Poor people don't eat as well as wealthy people. Good, healthy food costs more.
Uneducated people don't eat as well as educated people either. Partly because educated people have more money and partly because they're usually smarter and understand that bringing home take-out 4 nights a week is unhealthy.
And who knows, maybe diet considerations are a leftist thing, in some minds.

Reactions: AJG
After reading some threads here about covid and obesity, I decided to do an informal observational survey of obesity rates where I live. After a few days of observing, I can report that I have hardly seen any thin people. Some are grossly fat, some are very fat, some are moderately fat. Some are just a little overweight, but they are the minority. This is for all ages, but of course the middle aged and older are the fattest. Almost nobody is thin. Maybe a skinny old person here and there, or a slender teenager. But they are the rare exceptions. Almost everyone is at least pudgy.

You might not notice this unless you make a conscious decision to observe. Obesity is so common now days we just accept it like it's normal. It is NOT NORMAL!

So this could partly explain the pandemic. Of course, they also had the pandemic in India where most people are thin. Unless they got fat there also.

And with a gym on every corner, I really don't understand why almost no one looks healthy.
I have never seen, until now, ads on TV for jeans worn by really big women. And a large woman from Saturday Night Live is the main dancer. I believe it will become more and more common to see clothing ads for super-sized people because, after all, how can you avoid seeing such people every day wherever you look?
What a country we live in. The government has to give out money to reduce childhood hunger while, at the same time, you see really huge, obviously obese people walking around looking like they should be candidates for bariatric surgery.

And yet the MAJORITY of those who get covid have a mild case, or no symptoms at all.

I do not have a link and I hope I am wrong but I read last week that only 2% of infections are asymptomatic.
And mild generally means you are pretty damned sick.

The non "serious illness" has been dramatically underplayed. Most folks who get Covid get real sick. Not "just" flu sick (which has had me hospitalized twice)

Back
Top Bottom