• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama's Zimmerman speech

What did you think of obama's Zimmerman speech

• Horrible divisive speech

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Great speech, I loved it

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
IMO Obama went out of his way to keep race the central issue when he gave his Zimmerman speech. His statement that all black men have suffered this abuse and it could have been him was yet another wedge being driven by our president to divide this country. He focused on a black kid being shot by a "white Latino" as the media calls Zim instead of the black kid getting killed by another black kid every day in Chicago. This is the worst most divisive president we have ever had bar none and this is the worst speech given by a president bar none.

IMO Obama went out of his way to keep race the central issue when he gave his Zimmerman speech. His statement that all black men have suffered this abuse and it could have been him was yet another wedge being driven by our president to divide this country. He focused on a black kid being shot by a "white Latino" as the media calls Zim instead of the black kid getting killed by another black kid every day in Chicago. This is the worst most divisive president we have ever had bar none and this is the worst speech given by a president bar none.

It was terrible, and he needs to stay out of it!

His remarks were neither divisive nor inflamatory, and appropriate given the circumstances and what Obama felt to be the valid concerns of his constituents. Overall a good, not great speech (was it even?) and certainly not malicious as some have suggested.

His remarks were neither divisive nor inflamatory, and appropriate given the circumstances and what Obama felt to be the valid concerns of his constituents. Overall a good, not great speech (was it even?) and certainly not malicious as some have suggested.

The trial was not even about race, it wasn't even an issue so how can you defend Obama playing the race card?

The trial was not even about race, it wasn't even an issue so how can you defend Obama playing the race card?
No, the trial wasn't about race, but many feel the encounter was predicated upon racial profiling. I'm not here to discuss the trial or encounter itself, but the appropriateness of Obama attempting to share why so many do view the trial as, in part, a racial matter.

No, the trial wasn't about race, but many feel the encounter was predicated upon racial profiling. I'm not here to discuss the trial or encounter itself, but the appropriateness of Obama attempting to share why so many do view the trial as, in part, a racial matter.

Obama said he could have been the one shot 30 years ago. Is Obama saying if someone followed him he would jump on top of him and start beating his head into the pavement too or is he saying the black kid was killed because he was black? You really don't need to answer.:)

Yes, that's what is at discussion. However, the POTUS is not some local or state civic leader but the chief executive for the entire US. He has a duty to ensure the system is operating as designed and wait for the verdict BEFORE commenting. That is to ensure the system operates by design (without undue influence). He failed that.

Then, feeling the need to address racial issues, does he choose a case to highlight where race was actually a factor? No, he's goes right on back to the same busted trough he failed at the first go around.

It's disgusting. That more folks aren't feeling betrayed by it is yet another sign of our slide as a nation. Contrast that with the average reaction (largely liberal) when Nixon commented on the Manson trial.

Obama said he could have been the one shot 30 years ago. Is Obama saying if someone followed him he would jump on top of him and start beating his head into the pavement too or is he saying the black kid was killed because he was black? You really don't need to answer.:)
No, That's just a lazy extrapolation on your part. He was attempting to convey the effects of profiling and personal experiences in terms of shaping the viewpoint towards these types of cases in particular.

No, That's just a lazy extrapolation on your part. He was attempting to convey the effects of profiling and personal experiences in terms of shaping the viewpoint towards these types of cases in particular.

The lazy exploitation was done by Obama. This case was not about race and the shooter wasn't even white.

What personal experience? After his mother abandoned him with his grandparents he attended a private school. He had to learn how to be 'black' in college.

Yes, that's what is at discussion. However, the POTUS is not some local or state civic leader but the chief executive for the entire US. He has a duty to ensure the system is operating as designed and wait for the verdict BEFORE commenting. That is to ensure the system operates by design (without undue influence). He failed that.

The verdict was handed down, and the entire process was acknowledged by Obama as legitimate. Not sure what your actual complaint is.

Then, feeling the need to address racial issues, does he choose a case to highlight where race was actually a factor? No, he's goes right on back to the same busted trough he failed at the first go around.

Again, not everyone shares your view on the case. I would not venture to say that racism was a component, but an argument could be made that race played a factor, however small. Addressing the concerns of his consituents from a credible platform and in a responsible manner should considerably less controversial.

It's disgusting. That more folks aren't feeling betrayed by it is yet another sign of our slide as a nation. Contrast that with the average reaction (largely liberal) when Nixon commented on the Manson trial.
Why exactly would anyone feel "betrayed" by his remarks? Are you sure we're referring to the same speech?

Last edited:
What personal experience? After his mother abandoned him with his grandparents he attended a private school. He had to learn how to be 'black' in college.
Obama by his own account was treated differently due to his appearance during his childhood and adult life. The fact that he went to a private school or college means nothing at all.

Why does your poll only have two painfully stupid options?

Why does your poll only have two painfully stupid options?

Well, in fairness, I haven't heard too many opinions on the speech that are middle of the road. It seems like most people either really loved or really hated it.

When Obama first ran for pres I wanted to vote for him, I wanted a black president because I thought it would heal wounds and help end racial tension. After I knew more about his politics I couldn't vote for the man but when he was elected I looked on the bright side and thought a black pres would be a good thing. I couldn't have been more wrong. Obama has squandered a golden opportunity to heal this nation with one divisive event after another and this Zimmerman speech seals the deal, sad really.

And why should we believe him?
Don't have to, but it's not exactly a incomprehensible tale. If you feel you can more accurately surmise what Obama experienced in his own life though, by all means.

Personally, I think those that don't like Obama generally don't like the speech he gave. Those that like him think it was just fine.

Me? I don't like Obama. But.

I didn't mind his speech. I think he was talking to 15% of our population . . . many of whom feel downtrodden and betrayed, dare I say "yet again," by a justice system many of them sincerely believe failed them. There can be no doubt about a number of things:

Driving While Black is real.
Walking While Black is real.
Being scrutinized in department stores is real.
Hearing car doors suddenly lock at stop lights is real.
Not getting on elevators is real.

I don't think he was rabble-rousing. I think he was speaking to a constituency that was and is upset. That could or could not escalate criminal activity because they're upset. He just wanted to let them know he heard them.

I had no problem with it at all. Was it perfect? WTF is?

Edit: As for your poll, I didn't vote. Neither option reflected my opinion.

Personally, I think those that don't like Obama generally don't like the speech he gave. Those that like him think it was just fine.

Me? I don't like Obama. But.

I didn't mind his speech. I think he was talking to 15% of our population . . . many of whom feel downtrodden and betrayed, dared I say "yet again," by a justice system many of them sincerely believe failed them. There can be no doubt about a number of things:

Driving While Black is real.
Walking While Black is real.
Being scrutinized in department stores is real.
Hearing car doors suddenly lock at stop lights is real.
Not getting on elevators is real.

I don't think he was rabble-rousing. I think he was speaking to a constituency that was and is upset. That could or could not escalate criminal activity because they're upset. He just wanted to let them know he heard them.

I had no problem with it at all. Was it perfect? WTF is?

BINGO Maggie! It is his job to talk to all of us not just blacks.

What did he say about Zimmerman's trial?

BINGO Maggie! It is his job to talk to all of us not just blacks.

There was plenty in there for "the rest of us."

In fact, I think he did an excellent job of explaining to "the rest of us" why the black community think the way they think about this trial.

Weren't you listening??

Back
Top Bottom