• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama's Zimmerman speech

What did you think of obama's Zimmerman speech

• Horrible divisive speech

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Great speech, I loved it

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
There was plenty in there for "the rest of us."

In fact, I think he did an excellent job of explaining to "the rest of us" why the black community think the way they think about this trial.

Weren't you listening??

Yes I was listening. I was listening to Obama talk about racial profiling in a case that had nothing to do with racial profiling. I was listening to Obama divide this country further and make it sound like whites killing blacks was a huge problem when in reality black on black violence is the huge problem, not to mention that Zimmerman is no more white than Obama himself is.

Right, Obama made a random speech about racial profiling, it had nothing whatsoever to do with the Zimmerman trial.:roll:

The judge conducted the trial in a professional manner. The prosecution and the defense made their arguments. The juries were properly instructed that in a -- in a case such as this, reasonable doubt was relevant, and they rendered a verdict. And once the jury’s spoken, that’s how our system works.

And apparently you missed this as well:

Now, this isn’t to say that the African-American community is naive about the fact that African-American young men are disproportionately involved in the criminal justice system, that they are disproportionately both victims and perpetrators of violence. It’s not to make excuses for that fact, although black folks do interpret the reasons for that in a historical context.

And perhaps this:

I think the African-American community is also not naive in understanding that statistically somebody like Trayvon Martin was probably statistically more likely to be shot by a peer than he was by somebody else.

And perhaps this:

I know that Eric Holder is reviewing what happened down there, but I think it’s important for people to have some clear expectations here. Traditionally, these are issues of state and local government -- the criminal code. And law enforcement has traditionally done it at the state and local levels, not at the federal levels.

Well, in fairness, I haven't heard too many opinions on the speech that are middle of the road. It seems like most people either really loved or really hated it.

That you only hear the lunatic fringe does not make only two stupid options better.

IMO Obama went out of his way to keep race the central issue when he gave his Zimmerman speech. His statement that all black men have suffered this abuse and it could have been him was yet another wedge being driven by our president to divide this country. He focused on a black kid being shot by a "white Latino" as the media calls Zim instead of the black kid getting killed by another black kid every day in Chicago. This is the worst most divisive president we have ever had bar none and this is the worst speech given by a president bar none.

I think your post is far more divisive then Obama's speech

Right, Obama made a random speech about racial profiling, it had nothing whatsoever to do with the Zimmerman trial.:roll:
It most certainly did. Did you actually read or listen to his talk?

It was terrible, and he needs to stay out of it!

Yeah?...he's just the president for Gods sake and this is just a situation that has inspired marches across the country, WTH

The trial was not even about race, it wasn't even an issue so how can you defend Obama playing the race card?

The uproar over the trial HAS been about race, that is what inspired the speach

And perhaps this:

And perhaps this:

You have to admit, saying reasonable doubt is relevant in a case such as this is a strange thing for a lawyer to say, like this is some special quirk applicable to this case only. Reasonable doubt is relevant in all criminal cases.

And perhaps this:

And perhaps this:

Cherry picking a few lines out of context is something I don't expect from you. The speech in total was about blacks being profiled and that was not what this case was about, it was about a man defending himself from a brutal attack.

IMO Obama went out of his way to keep race the central issue when he gave his Zimmerman speech. His statement that all black men have suffered this abuse and it could have been him was yet another wedge being driven by our president to divide this country. He focused on a black kid being shot by a "white Latino" as the media calls Zim instead of the black kid getting killed by another black kid every day in Chicago. This is the worst most divisive president we have ever had bar none and this is the worst speech given by a president bar none.

He must be home tuning up his new speech about that black on black shooting where the woman was being intimidated by her estranged husband and shot into the wall to scare him. Lessee now, she got 21 years for aggravated assault. What am I missing here? Her husband bigger, stronger and intimidating and in Florida and the ambiguity is in Technicolor.

You have to admit, saying reasonable doubt is relevant in a case such as this is a strange thing for a lawyer to say, like this is some special quirk applicable to this case only. Reasonable doubt is relevant in all criminal cases.

It is a strange thing -- he could have said it in a better way -- but he was, quite obviously, parsing his words. I don't fault him for that. It's one of the things that wasn't "perfect". ;)

Cherry picking a few lines out of context is something I don't expect from you. The speech in total was about blacks being profiled and that was not what this case was about, it was about a man defending himself from a brutal attack.

You can expect me to be honest about my thoughts and feelings. The fact that you find what I printed out here to be cherry-picking tells me that you have an opinion you're never going to change. And it's one based on emotion, not clear-headed thinking.

You're SO entitled to think what you will. But there are more level-headed thinkers in this country than Sawyer who have no problem at all with what he said; understand why he chose to say it; and learned a little something in the process.

Obama's job should be to tone the race issue down not ramp it up.

The only people he "ramped up" are people like you. The people he was speaking to undoubtedly felt "heard" -- and that's what he was trying to do.

In my opinion, Sawyer, you're wrong here. *shrug* It's unusual that I'd think that about your posts...

The lazy exploitation was done by Obama. This case was not about race and the shooter wasn't even white.

Not white? :shock: Uh...his dad is white - Non Hispanic and his mom...Peruvian, which I think is considered by the U.S. Government to be Hispanic/Latino, not to be confused with Latino Americans. And if you get a passport you'll see "White - Non-Hispanic" And "White - Hispanic".

White Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His remarks were neither divisive nor inflamatory, and appropriate given the circumstances and what Obama felt to be the valid concerns of his constituents. Overall a good, not great speech (was it even?) and certainly not malicious as some have suggested.

There's not a goddamn thing appropriate about his comments, nothing.......nothing at all. He had no business then nor now for getting involved in that case. And he knew it too, he's a race baiter.

The trial was not even about race, it wasn't even an issue so how can you defend Obama playing the race card?

Obama's most devoted followers have been convinced that a hispanic guy who might have exercised poor judgment and then shot a black youth who was probably a minor league thug trying to graduate to full fledged mope is more important and a good distraction to avoid dealing with the fact that every day someone who looks like Travon Martin and is often less culpable-is shot down by another guy who looks like Travon Martin

Don't have to, but it's not exactly a incomprehensible tale. If you feel you can more accurately surmise what Obama experienced in his own life though, by all means.

HE can't even accurately surmise his own life.
He thinks that his parents first met in Selma Al, three years after he was born.

There's not a goddamn thing appropriate about his comments, nothing.......nothing at all. He had no business then nor now for getting involved in that case. And he knew it too, he's a race baiter.

Jesus, Mary & Joseph. A race baiter. Really. I don't know what to think about people who feel so damned strongly negative about what the president said. I really don't.

You can expect me to be honest about my thoughts and feelings. The fact that you find what I printed out here to be cherry-picking tells me that you have an opinion you're never going to change. And it's one based on emotion, not clear-headed thinking.

You're SO entitled to think what you will. But there are more level-headed thinkers in this country than Sawyer who have no problem at all with what he said; understand why he chose to say it; and learned a little something in the process.

The only people he "ramped up" are people like you. The people he was speaking to undoubtedly felt "heard" -- and that's what he was trying to do.

In my opinion, Sawyer, you're wrong here. *shrug* It's unusual that I'd think that about your posts...

You have to read the speech in total to understand what he was doing, taking lines out of context is not the real picture. IMO Maggie you are wrong here and need to bow to my age and wisdom and ummm gender. :lol:

There was plenty in there for "the rest of us."

In fact, I think he did an excellent job of explaining to "the rest of us" why the black community think the way they think about this trial.

Weren't you listening??

It is totally irrational to expect anyone to simply accept being pinned to the ground and continuously beaten by another while they are armed and decide not use their gun. I do not care what color your skin is, self defense (self preservation?) should be universally understandable. It is way out in loony land to even attempt to try to excuse the beating inflicted upon Zimmerman on some "history" of white/hispanics having tormented Martin.

How many more years must all non-blacks be considered racists and therefore threats to blacks?

It is considered rational (normal?) for blacks to fear whites (even white/hispanics), the logical "justification" used for Martin attacking, a suspected "creepy ass cracka", Zimmerman, yet whites are never justified to react defensively in the presense of a black person - that is defined as pure racism or "profiling".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom