• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama's View of the Muslim Brotherhood

Ouroboros

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Putting aside nonsense like the "Secret Muslim" accusations--

What is the best REALISTIC explanation of Obama's attempts to woo the Muslim Brotherhood?

What did he hope to gain, long-term, by bringing about situations like the one represented here:

... then-president barack Obama, whose administration likewise met with Haddad, adopted policies favoring the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, with then-secretary of state Hillary Clinton openly calling for Morsi’s release after he was arrested by Sisi’s government after the coup. For instance, the administration signed a law that made the allocation of aid to Egypt contingent on progress in human rights. However, when Morsi came to power, there was no evidence of such progress – yet aid continued to flow.

What does it matter?

Morsi's military strongman successor (Abdel Fattah el-Sisi) is at least as bad. Egypt is only behind Turkey in journalists incarcerated in regime prisons.

One word...
BUSTED !
Adopting policies to protect the "brotherhood".
What about protecting America Mr. sir rap-a-lot ?

I suppose my interest is mainly historical, in that Obama's regime is often held up as a shining beacon, usually by people who don't know much about his foreign policy. I'm not necessarily saying Trump is any better, though I have seen Obama criticized as having lost some of the political ground Dubya's regime gained in the Middle East.

I encountered one analysis that claimed Obama was trying to gain a foothold over Egypt as part of his long-range plan to normalize relations with Iran.

One word...
BUSTED !

So racist.

Putting aside nonsense like the "Secret Muslim" accusations--

What is the best REALISTIC explanation of Obama's attempts to woo the Muslim Brotherhood?

What did he hope to gain, long-term, by bringing about situations like the one represented here:

Yeah, right? And what about how Lyndon Johnson used to act? What about that?

One word...
BUSTED !

Well, he did claim that he was a fan of rapping, though on one Youtube video he's caught saying "my rapping skills are terrible."

There may be ways in which he sought to boost his appeal with Black Americans, but rapping does not seem to be one of them.

Yeah, right? And what about how Lyndon Johnson used to act? What about that?

He committed a lot of political acts. History today is generally against his continuing the Vietnam War, and in favor of his pushing through the Voting Rights Act and similar civil rights legislation.

Which action are you referencing?

Back
Top Bottom