• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama's Tantrum

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
If it is true that the best defense is a good offense, President Obama should be celebrating in the end zone now. Obviously furious over criticism that his anti-terror policies are weak and that the Orlando slaughter proves it, he went on a televised tirade to let America know he’s mad as hell and not going to take it anymore.

He laid waste to a field of straw men, cable-TV pundits and the always-evil “partisan rhetoric,” by which he means anyone who disagrees with him. It was a striking display of personal anger and pent-up grievances — and a total failure of leadership during a national crisis.
Link

Over and over again he asked why using the term "radical Islamist" matters. It matters because it would be reassurance that the President cares about defending America and defeating our enemies. It would tell us that the President means business. Like George Bush, who stood on the rubble of the World Trade Center and said that the people who did this would hear from us soon, said with obvious heart-felt emotion, in contrast to Obama's cold, bloodless pronouncements.

No, the only time the President gets emotional is when he's talking about himself and trying to defend his policies from well deserved criticism. How embarrassing that his policies have turned out to be obvious failures! And it really gets his ire up.

No, every time America is attacked by radical Islamists the President and other leftists jump to defend Muslims. Let me say that again: Every time America is attacked by radical Islamists the President and other leftists jump to defend Muslims. That's their first priority, their first impulse. Can you see what's wrong with that? Do they care about America? Do they love America? Do they want to defend Americans? Do they really?

Tell us that you care about America, Mr. President. Tell us that you are more angry at our Islamist enemies who are killing our friends, neighbors, and fellow citizens than you are at Republicans and Donald Trump.

Link

Over and over again he asked why using the term "radical Islamist" matters. It matters because it would be reassurance that the President cares about defending America and defeating our enemies. It would tell us that the President means business. Like George Bush, who stood on the rubble of the World Trade Center and said that the people who did this would hear from us soon, said with obvious heart-felt emotion, in contrast to Obama's cold, bloodless pronouncements.

No, the only time the President gets emotional is when he's talking about himself and trying to defend his policies from well deserved criticism. How embarrassing that his policies have turned out to be obvious failures! And it really gets his ire up.

No, every time America is attacked by radical Islamists the President and other leftists jump to defend Muslims. Let me say that again: Every time America is attacked by radical Islamists the President and other leftists jump to defend Muslims. That's their first priority, their first impulse. Can you see what's wrong with that? Do they care about America? Do they love America? Do they want to defend Americans? Do they really?

Tell us that you care about America, Mr. President. Tell us that you are more angry at our Islamist enemies who are killing our friends, neighbors, and fellow citizens than you are at Republicans and Donald Trump.

What term did Bush use?

Link

I think he believes the NRA is a bigger threat to America then ISIS, as his presidency winds down it seems he's down to just shouting and acting like he cares, he burned all bridges the first two years of office and no one wants to work with him in the current majority party and he blames that on everyone else.

Link

If we cant call it radical islam, then I think they should stop using the term assault rifle or gun, as they are unfairly demonizing and entire class of weapons. But he'll be gone in 6 months. Just wait him out.

No. We make sure that as a country we don't attack all Muslims or an entire religion based on the actions of a few. The absolute dumbest thing we could do is alienate the moderate muslims of the world, and that's exactly what you want. You want to erase any thought in their mind that we are fighting a war on terror and instead make them think we are fighting a war on Islam.

We gain absolutely nothing by using the term and risk alienating potential allies accross the world by using it. It serves no purpose other than as a talking point for the less informed among us.

The soon has been has been throwing fits not becoming a POTUS since he came on our radar. It is sad. I wish were to pay as much attention to our enemies as he were about FNC, etc and whatever perturbs him at the moment. He is a thin skinned baby.
He runs his mouth in the most inappropriate ways, renders judgment when it is convenient, but is too chicken to call a spade a spade when it counts. He insults police, he insults Bible believing Christians without hesitation. Radical Islam..emphasis radical...he can't name, but of course he isn't short of excuses.
First step to cure an illness is to identify it.
Trump would be much worse, so don't get me wrong, and I don't even have to start about a woman scorned, do I?
Meh, where is my barf bag?

No. We make sure that as a country we don't attack all Muslims or an entire religion based on the actions of a few. The absolute dumbest thing we could do is alienate the moderate muslims of the world, and that's exactly what you want. You want to erase any thought in their mind that we are fighting a war on terror and instead make them think we are fighting a war on Islam.

We gain absolutely nothing by using the term and risk alienating potential allies accross the world by using it. It serves no purpose other than as a talking point for the less informed among us.

It's not the use of the term itself that's troubling. It's the strict avoidance of using the term that's troubling. If Obama had a coherent policy for dealing with radical Islamists this could be overlooked. He doesn't. He's too busy targeting guns, American Christians, the GOP, Fox News and Trump.

I think he believes the NRA is a bigger threat to America then ISIS, as his presidency winds down it seems he's down to just shouting and acting like he cares, he burned all bridges the first two years of office and no one wants to work with him in the current majority party and he blames that on everyone else.

Hmm. Always someone else's fault? Never his own fault.

If this excuse is unacceptable from children, what makes him believe that it's acceptable from him?

It's as if he hasn't contributed to the dysfunction between his administration and the congress. Well, it takes 2 to have a fight, so he and his administration are equal partners in this.

What have these mythical moderate muslims done for us lately? Why should the US court them instead of they feeling the need to prove themselves as defenders of civilization, saddened and ashamed of the use of their religion to justify the slaughter of non-combatants? Basically, why assume a position of weakness, as evidenced by being so afraid to use a phrase?

How about we just assume they are neutral or our enemies until they prove otherwise? The onus is on the moderate muslims, assuming they exist. 1500 years of history says otherwise, but I suppose anything can happen.

Link

it only matters because you made it up. doesnt matter to adults

It's not the use of the term itself that's troubling. It's the strict avoidance of using the term that's troubling. If Obama had a coherent policy for dealing with radical Islamists this could be overlooked. He doesn't. He's too busy targeting guns, American Christians, the GOP, Fox News and Trump.

made up right wing hysteria.

Basically, why assume a position of weakness, as evidenced by being so afraid to use a phrase?

Position of weakness? Afraid to use the phrase? You don't understand. This isn't "afraid", it's being intelligent. You don't show terrorists your strong by saying a phrase. We've been pushing back Isis and defeating them militarily as of late. They understand we are strong and they don't give a ****.

They'd love for us to start talking as if we are waging a war on Islam. It's a sure fire way to get them more recruits and more money. It's a terrible idea.

The onus is on the moderate muslims

First off, moderate muslims speak out against terrorists and terrorism all the time. I saw plenty of it after the Paris attacks.

But your entire position is stupid. Nothing about this helps us. That's why Bush also expressed that this is a war on terror and went out of his way to express that terrorists don't speak for Islam.

If you just want to bash Islam, I'm right there with you. It's a dumb religion with a horrific holy book that has a few nuggets of good sprinkled through out it. But that's not what I want our president or government saying as an official statement. But you'll never understand that.

first off, this is a strawman argument, no one has ever insisted we are at war with all of islam. and maybe he could be forgiven for not using "radical islamic terror" if the campaign he were waging was actually effective.

instead he is obfuscating, he's trying to claim islam is unconnected to the terrorist actions, he wants to bring over large numbers of islamists here as "refugees" he refuses to put forward a coherent strategy for fighting them, in fact his policy ideas for fighting ISIS (which he calls ISIL for reasons I don't know while claiming people who want the term radical islam are being petty and focusing on terminology) are all statements of what we won't do (no boots on the ground, no americans in combat, blah blah blah)

and if someone criticizes him he attacks them with venom, after the Brussels attack he went on this lifeless speech looking like a babbling idiot saying "ISIL is not an existential threat" blah blah blah.

but man he's sure animated and passionate when talking about Donald Trump or the NRA....

What term did Bush use?

That's a fair question. But Bush's subsequent actions left little doubt as to where he stood.He only changed the laws in this country ( Patriot Act) and attempted to re-form the Middle East.He did NOT call for stricter gun control.
Now, of course you can question his actions, but you can't say he didn't take drastic action,commensurate with how he viewed the seriousness of the problem.

Fighting terrorism is a pain in the ass. They are a loosely associated group, spread out amongst civilians, in numerous countries across the middle east. There's no plan that would make fighting them easy. But that still doesn't turn "let's turn this from a war on terrorism to a war on Islam" a good idea. It's stupid regardless.

I do know what we can't do though. A muslim ban and carpet bomb the entire middle east.

Also, targeting american christians? Good lord that's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Your entire view of reality is flipped.

Position of weakness? Afraid to use the phrase? You don't understand. This isn't "afraid", it's being intelligent. You don't show terrorists your strong by saying a phrase. We've been pushing back Isis and defeating them militarily as of late. They understand we are strong and they don't give a ****.

They'd love for us to start talking as if we are waging a war on Islam. It's a sure fire way to get them more recruits and more money. It's a terrible idea.

First off, moderate muslims speak out against terrorists and terrorism all the time. I saw plenty of it after the Paris attacks.

But your entire position is stupid. Nothing about this helps us. That's why Bush also expressed that this is a war on terror and went out of his way to express that terrorists don't speak for Islam.

If you just want to bash Islam, I'm right there with you. It's a dumb religion with a horrific holy book that has a few nuggets of good sprinkled through out it. But that's not what I want our president or government saying as an official statement. But you'll never understand that.
Oh, I understand all too well: you want the POTUS to be PC, mealy-mouthed, and circumspect. You don't want the POTUS to lay out the fundamental conflict in stark terms. This IS a clash of civilizations, one that has been going on for 1500 years. Either the "moderate muslims" can join the west in combatting the latest incarnation of their own free will without kowtowing from the west, sit on the sidelines, or join in the opposition to the west. That's their choice, and each of those has consequences of varying severity.

made up right wing hysteria.

I listened to Obama's speech yesterday. He seems to be the hysterical one here because he's been criticized. His skin is so thin it's nearly transparent.

Fighting terrorism is a pain in the ass. They are a loosely associated group, spread out amongst civilians, in numerous countries across the middle east. There's no plan that would make fighting them easy. But that still doesn't turn "let's turn this from a war on terrorism to a war on Islam" a good idea. It's stupid regardless.

I don't know of anybody who has suggested a war on Islam.

I do know what we can't do though. A muslim ban and carpet bomb the entire middle east.

That's hyperbolic. Nobody sane has suggested that either.

Also, targeting american christians? Good lord that's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Your entire view of reality is flipped.
[/QUOTE]

Then you haven't listened to Obama, or if you have, you've only heard what you want to hear. Tell me, how long after Orlando did it take for the political left to start blaming guns? How long before we heard that Christians were really the underlying cause? Mere minutes. Obama, the self-proclaimed master of Twitter, criticized Trump for tweeting. You guys can't get out of your own way when you spout crap like that. At least you should have the decency to own what your leaders say rather than deny they've said those things. They have, and if you force me to, I'll dig up the quotes. You shouldn't do that. It'll be embarrassing for you, and you know it.

first off, this is a strawman argument, no one has ever insisted we are at war with all of islam.

It's not a strawman argument. I'm saying that by using that term, we are suggesting that we equate terrorism with Islam. Which is stupid.

Bush went out of his way to point out that terrorists don't speak for Islam and that we are fighting terrorists, not Islam. There's a reason our leaders do this. It's because they are actually responsible for what happens and don't get the privilege of espousing stupid ideas with no repercussions. There's no good reason to use the phrase, and people are only bringing it up to try to pretend like he's soft on terror. They are playing politics, and it's very sad to see.

That's hyperbolic. Nobody sane has suggested that either.

Where the **** have you been? Those are two real world policies floated by the republican presidential nominee and the guy who came in 2nd behind him.

So on one side we have "let's carpet bomb them" and "lets kill them and their innocent family" and "lets ban all muslims from entering" and you are sitting there worried about Obama not saying a ****ing phrase. This whole argument is a ****ing joke.

Top U.S. general slams idea of carpet bombing ISIS - CNNPolitics.com

Donald Trump on terrorists: 'Take out their families' - CNNPolitics.com

What have these mythical moderate muslims done for us lately? Why should the US court them instead of they feeling the need to prove themselves as defenders of civilization, saddened and ashamed of the use of their religion to justify the slaughter of non-combatants? Basically, why assume a position of weakness, as evidenced by being so afraid to use a phrase?

How about we just assume they are neutral or our enemies until they prove otherwise? The onus is on the moderate muslims, assuming they exist. 1500 years of history says otherwise, but I suppose anything can happen.

I've seen one pundit describe this this way (paraphrasing)

There is about 10% of the Muslims which are radical, and want to kill Western culture. That's about 100 million people.
Then there's about 20% of the Muslims are in the liberal end of the spectrum, and they live peacefully with and within the Western culture.
The rest, so 70% of the Muslims, are in between, and won't report anything that the 10% are doing to authorities, so tacit approval.

Now I have no idea what these 'percentage estimates' are based on, or if they are even accurate, but thinking back over the years that we've had radical Islam terrorist acts, and how few reports of suspicious activity are being received by the large middle segment of the Muslim community, maybe this isn't all that far off.

More evidence to prove how much the far left hates America and have a burning desire to see it destroyed.

Where the **** have you been? Those are two real world policies floated by the republican presidential nominee and the guy who came in 2nd behind him.

So on one side we have "let's carpet bomb them" and "lets kill them and their innocent family" and "lets ban all muslims from entering" and you are sitting there worried about Obama not saying a ****ing phrase. This whole argument is a ****ing joke.

I'm right here and have been for many years. There are certainly all manner of responses. You can go to InfoWars and get whatever hyperbolic statements you wish, and I can do the same with the more extreme lefitst sites. That's not reality. You guys simply refuse to admit what Obama's former Secretaries of Defense all say. They aren't wrong. Obama has no coherent policy, and refusing to identify what even moderate Muslims themselves say is the problem is ****ing stupid in the extreme.

Here's what Obama said following Orlando. Dont' tell me he doesn't exploit such incidents for his own political ends while ignoring the cause. It's right there in his own words. Hillary was right in there with him. It speaks of placing a political agenda above the lives lost in Orlando. Own it.

Barack Obama calls for gun control action after Orlando Pulse shooting | Daily Mail Online

Here's what Obama said following Orlando.

Hmm, sounds like someone is changing the subject, how very telling. So will you admit now that those things aren't just hyperbole like you said and are indeed actual policy positions laid out by Republicans?

Back
Top Bottom