• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama's Star Rising

54% approval. So much for the GOP's Trump card.

Can a rising Obama help Hillary Clinton? - CNNPolitics.com

With you added comment, I'm not convinced you read the article you linked.

Close to half the people disapprove of Obama. His increase is attributed to the DNC. Not unexpected. More than half the people believe Clinton will be little more than status quo to Obama, and they say things in the US are going badly.

So how does the implication of your comment play out in light of what was written in the linked article?

Close to half the people disapprove of Obama. His increase is attributed to the DNC. Not unexpected. More than half the people believe Clinton will be little more than status quo to Obama, and they say things in the US are going badly.

So how does the implication of your comment play out in light of what was written in the linked article?

Given that about 70% of Americans think Hillary would be a bad President, someone with a mere 50% unfavorable rating actually could make things better for her.

Given that about 70% of Americans think Hillary would be a bad President, someone with a mere 50% unfavorable rating actually could make things better for her.

You may have a point. When people have distanced themselves so far from reality, Obama's level of popularity couldn't hurt.

Below is end term presidential approval ratings

Harry Truman January 1949-January 1953 36.5

Dwight Eisenhower January 1957-January 1961 60.5

Lyndon Johnson January 1965-January 1969 50.3

Richard Nixon January 1973-August 1974 34.4

Ronald Reagan January 1985-January 1989 55.3

Bill Clinton January 1997-January 2001 60.6

George W. Bush January 2005-January 2009 36.5

with Obama near at par with Reagan...I think it is a bit more than Obama not Hillary reason

Or Given the Same Clintons will be back in office, people are hoping for another Clinton Revolution

Diving Mullah

54% approval. So much for the GOP's Trump card.

"Obama's approval rating dipped to 50% after the Republican convention, but has risen to 54% in the wake of his party's convention, with 45% disapproval, according to a new CNN/ORC Poll. That's the most positive approval rating of his second term."

And that's a poll by whom? Oh, right, CNN.
"[FONT=&quot]In a [/FONT]Wall Street Journal piece[FONT=&quot] investigating the sweeping “ratings bonanza” that CNN has had in the 2016 election cycle, [/FONT]Jeff Zucker[FONT=&quot] admitted that perhaps in the past the network has ostracized some viewers with its coverage. “I think it was a legitimate criticism of CNN that it was a little too liberal,” Zucker conceded."
[/FONT]
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnns-jeff-zucker-concedes-cnn-has-been-a-little-too-liberal/

That's like leftists who say Pol Pot went a little too far.

45% is not close to half. Hell, 40% wouldn't approve even if it was shown he was Jesus ****ing Christ.

Certainly not Drudge or Hannity :roll:

That would probably have been more honest. I wonder if Jeff Zucker actually believes anyone but Clintonistas will believe CNN was a little too liberal.

45% is not close to half. Hell, 40% wouldn't approve even if it was shown he was Jesus ****ing Christ.

LOL.

Well, you know, I'm not familiar with the type of math some people have been burdened with these days, so perhaps you have that challenge to deal with.

Are you better off today than you were 8 years ago?

Absofrackingluttley!

8 years ago the GDP dipped below -6%, housing market crashed million unemployed, Gas prices at all time high, fast forward 8 years, gas prices are the lowest in 8 years, housing market recovered, renting prices going through the room, company's stuck at all time high, and wanted sign are everywhere (downside, can't find a freaking contractors to work on our house; everybody is freaking busey!)

Diving Mullah

LOL.

Well, you know, I'm not familiar with the type of math some people have been burdened with these days, so perhaps you have that challenge to deal with.

An election that goes 55% to 45% is considered an ass kicking.

An election that goes 55% to 45% is considered an ass kicking.

Well, like I wrote, I'm not familiar with the type of math that views an almost 50-50 split as an ass kicking. I guess that view comes from those who eek out wins and need some propaganda tools.

It used to be that this was considered an ass kicking:

Ass Kicking.jpg

At this point there's no doubt that Obama will be remembered as a vastly superior president to George W. Bush.

Well, like I wrote, I'm not familiar with the type of math that views an almost 50-50 split as an ass kicking. I guess that view comes from those who eek out wins and need some propaganda tools.

It used to be that this was considered an ass kicking:

View attachment 67205235

Obviously you're not very good at the maths. Reagan had less than 51% of the vote in your example of an ass-kicking above. So, clearly. 55% is a major ass-kicking.

I bet before its said and done, Hillary wins with close to 60% of the vote, especially if Trump continues to bring up the absurd idea of putting Ivanka in a cabinet position.

True, I read somewhere that elections are really determined by the 6% swing / undecided voters.

What we're seeing too with Dumb Donald is a mass defection of voters from the GOP, with massive amounts of traditional GOP voters, mostly whites and men, fleeing like rats from a sinking ship.

Will they all vote Hillary? I tend to doubt most will, but I suspect enough will to give Hillary an unprecedented number of popular votes. She's also probably going to win quite a few traditionally Red states.

Obviously you're not very good at the maths. Reagan had less than 51% of the vote in your example of an ass-kicking above. So, clearly. 55% is a major ass-kicking.

I bet before its said and done, Hillary wins with close to 60% of the vote, especially if Trump continues to bring up the absurd idea of putting Ivanka in a cabinet position.

Geeze. Carter got 41%, the others, 8.3%. Reagan got more than Carter, and the others combined. Then there is the 91% of the electoral college.

I mean you had to try really hard to spin that. Didn't work very well.

I don't do predictions, so I leave that to the self appointed Carnaks to trip over. I have started to cut and paste them onto a document for future use. It will be interesting to see how things turn out.

In this unpredictable election cycle, only a few things are truly predictable.

Geeze. Carter got 41%, the others, 8.3%. Reagan got more than Carter, and the others combined. Then there is the 91% of the electoral college.

I don't do predictions, so I leave that to the self appointed Carnaks to trip over. I have started to cut and paste them onto a document for future use. It will be interesting to see how things turn out.

55% to 45% is nowhere near 50-50 in an election. You're the one who tried spinning it as if it were.

55% to 45% is nowhere near 50-50 in an election. You're the one who tried spinning it as if it were.

As I wrote, I'm not familiar with the math being taught these days, especially the kind that applies in politics. I guess with voters so evenly split, the political hacks out there are having a hard time letting go of old descriptors.

Good morning, ocean515. :2wave:

I read an interesting article that used the term "weapons of math's instruction," that just might seem to be of use here! :lamo

As I wrote, I'm not familiar with the math being taught these days, especially the kind that applies in politics. I guess with voters so evenly split, the political hacks out there are having a hard time letting go of old descriptors.

I just see it as someone not really understanding the political landscape of presidential elections. As we see with your Reagan example from 1980, even in a landslide, the winner often barely gets more than 50% of the popular vote, especially when there is a viable or at least, somewhat popular third party candidate.

2012: Obama 51%; Romeny 47%--Obama wins by 126 electoral votes
2008: Obama 53%, McCain 46%-- Obama wins by 192 Electoral votes. This was clearly an ass kicking
2004: Bush 51%; Kerry 48%--Bush wins by 35 electoral votes.
2000: Bush 47.9%; Gore 48.4%---Bush wins by 5 electoral votes despite losing the popular vote
1996: Clinton 49%; Dole 41%; Perot 8%--Clinton wins by 220 electoral votes. This was similar to the Reagan election of 1980.

Notice how no one above drew 55%? A candidate getting 55% would be almost unheard of in modern presidential elections.

Back
Top Bottom