• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Obama's speech at DNC

Top Cat

He's the most tip top
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
President Obama was in fine form. I am biased of course. But he is certainly one of the finest speakers of my lifetime. And I go back to JFK.

He's the ****ing man.

President Obama was in fine form. I am biased of course. But he is certainly one of the finest speakers of my lifetime. And I go back to JFK.

I have to agree. Obama's always been a damn good public speaker.

No mention, of course, of the $20 million in debt he's leaving his successor. Didn't make it into his grand speech.

No mention, of course, of the $20 million in debt he's leaving his successor. Didn't make it into his grand speech.

I see you make no mention of the **** sandwich he inherited from your village idiot.

I expected some more interest on this at DP. What happened, has the country decided that this Prick is yesterday's news....not worth the investment?

Gonna be looking at the ratings (FRI) to see.

For Sure.

What successor wouldn't love to have such a low debt in the millions...as opposed to the trillions that Bush left his successor? lol

So The Professor and Don are on the same page re "THESE ARE DARK DAYS FOR AMERICA!".

Message received.

THe Elite done ****ed up, this happened on their watch.

I have a similar frame of reference, and I heartily agree! :thumbs:

He's the best in terms of country & society. Better than JFK,
better than Reagan.

But Bubba's no loser here, and he may be the best or close to it in terms of personal empathy. He hit it out of the park yesterday, too.

We've been privileged to experience some absolutely excellent speeches during this convention, including Michele Obama and Uncle Joe.

I severely doubt Hillary can rise tomorrow to the level of the four I mentioned.

I have a similar frame of reference, and I heartily agree! :thumbs:

He's the best in terms of country & society. Better than JFK,
better than Reagan.

But Bubba's no loser here, and he may be the best or close to it in terms of personal empathy. He hit it out of the park yesterday, too.

We've been privileged to experience some absolutely excellent speeches during this convention, including Michele Obama and Uncle Joe.

I severely doubt Hillary can rise tomorrow to the level of the four I mentioned.

Vox and Slate sure liked it, both are pretty dependable to see what is trending.

I wonder, what Obama could say of interesting substance in such a speech. The man has done less damage than might have been expected at the beginning. In that respect we have been lucky. But he is lame duck, spent and has caused large harm domestically and in the international theater.

..... Better than JFK,
better than Reagan......

One can think of the two and the content of their speeches, what one wants. The presentation was great oratory.
Obama has always been in a similar category, closer to JFK that to Reagan in the manner of rousing emotions, but is it worth listening to a good speech with no informational content? Did he actually say something I would probably not know?

One can think of the two and the content of their speeches, what one wants. The presentation was great oratory.
Obama has always been in a similar category, closer to JFK that to Reagan in the manner of rousing emotions, but is it worth listening to a good speech with no informational content? Did he actually say something I would probably not know?
Sometimes it's not about presenting what you don't know, but presenting what you do know in an applied manner to shed light, clarity, or perspective on the matter at hand! :thumbs:

Michelles speech was better IMHO.

I never really cared for her in the past, but I though she nailed it the other night by making the argument about progress and unity in the most heartfelt way. I didn't watch the convention, but everyone was telling me about it the next morning, so I Googled it on my cell phone.

Sometimes it's not about presenting what you don't know, but presenting what you do know in an applied manner to shed light, clarity, or perspective on the matter at hand! :thumbs:

Reagan was always inspiring with his speeches during a period where we needed it. You only need to see a few of them to realize why there were a lot of democrats crossing over to him.

Reagan was always inspiring with his speeches during a period where we needed it. You only need to see a few of them to realize why there were a lot of democrats crossing over to him.
I don't need to see any of them - back then I was a Reagan Democrat myself!

But now in historical context, I regret my vote due to his policies, particularly his War on Drugs & Trickle-Down Economics.

But I always liked the man, himself.

I watched the entire evening and Donald Trump was thoroughly and utterly chewed up and spit out more in those three hours than he was in all the attacks on him from his fellow Republicans during the entire primary process. It was a sheer delight to watch and a thing of beauty.

The Democrats have succeeded in
1- painting the republicans as the party of dystopian doom and gloom
2- showing themselves to be a united party against a party in shambles
3- believing in America and its people while Trump and company live in some delusional version of a USA that they are not proud of nor do they have solutions for
4- showing the other side of Hillary that has been neglected with the long Benghazi & private server obsession that has possessed them minds of the GOP the way Linda Blair was taken over in THE EXORCIST a few decades back

and that makes it a really successful convention even in advance of the biggest night of all on tap for Thursday.

I watched the entire evening and Donald Trump was thoroughly and utterly chewed up and spit out more in those three hours than he was in all the attacks on him from his fellow Republicans during the entire primary process. It was a sheer delight to watch and a thing of beauty.

3- believing in America and its people while Trump and company live in some delusional version of a USA that they are not proud of nor do they have solutions for
4- showing the other side of Hillary that has been neglected with the long Benghazi & private server obsession that has possessed them minds of the GOP the way Linda Blair was taken over in THE EXORCIST a few decades back

and that makes it a really successful convention even in advance of the biggest night of all on tap for Thursday.

Conventions are always chock full clever messaging and carefully positioned visuals. As a result, everyone waits to see what kind of "bump" results after the convention concludes. Seems reasonable considering the massive amount of corporate and donor dollars it takes to put them on. They are all expecting a return on investment. Voters have come to understand what that means down the road.

Among the most fervently faithful, it's reasonable to understand how easily the chaos of Sanders, emails, and the gross manipulation of the voting process by the DNC, can be swept aside.

Given the general anger voters appear to have towards Washington elites and the status quo they offer, it will be interesting to see how the general population responds to messaging that could just as easily been lifted from the DNC in 2012, 2008, 2004, 2000, etc., etc..

Conventions are always chock full clever messaging and carefully positioned visuals. As a result, everyone waits to see what kind of "bump" results after the convention concludes. Seems reasonable considering the massive amount of corporate and donor dollars it takes to put them on. They are all expecting a return on investment. Voters have come to understand what that means down the road.

Among the most fervently faithful, it's reasonable to understand how easily the chaos of Sanders, emails, and the gross manipulation of the voting process by the DNC, can be swept aside.

Given the general anger voters appear to have towards Washington elites and the status quo they offer, it will be interesting to see how the general population responds to messaging that could just as easily been lifted from the DNC in 2012, 2008, 2004, 2000, etc., etc..

About ten days from now we should see a sizable number of legit polls determining if Clinton gets a good bump from this. Chuck Todd on Morning Joe said this morning that if she does NOT - despite a nearly flawless convention - there is big trouble for Clinton.... and I would have to agree.

So lets wait those ten days and see what emerges...... and I expect a solid bump to emerge.

So, in other words, the convention captured the votes of those who were already going to vote for her. That's quite an accomplishment. This election will hinge on a single factor--will Trump be able to convince enough voters that he is a suitable and viable person to serve as president. So far he has not succeeded in that and he may very well not. But the idea that Hillary can suddenly capture the love and adoration of America is laughable. This is an election of who Americans despise least. Right now its a toss-up

So, in other words, the convention captured the votes of those who were already going to vote for her. That's quite an accomplishment. This election will hinge on a single factor--will Trump be able to convince enough voters that he is a suitable and viable person to serve as president. So far he has not succeeded in that and he may very well not. But the idea that Hillary can suddenly capture the love and adoration of America is laughable. This is an election of who Americans despise least. Right now its a toss-up

If that is what you took from my post - you missed the boat since you were at your own airport.

About ten days from now we should see a sizable number of legit polls determining if Clinton gets a good bump from this. Chuck Todd on Morning Joe said this morning that if she does NOT - despite a nearly flawless convention - there is big trouble for Clinton.... and I would have to agree.

So lets wait those ten days and see what emerges...... and I expect a solid bump to emerge.

To suggest the DNC has been nearly flawless is almost astonishing. Makes me wonder how much a person has to work to avoid realty in order to posit such a claim.

But you are correct, the "bump" is always the objective, so that number will have to wait.

Again, it will depend on how will the same platitudes and promises from every previous DNC will play outside the most fervent supporters who would swoon at 4 days of poetry readings.

To suggest the DNC has been nearly flawless is almost astonishing. Makes me wonder how much a person has to work to avoid realty in order to posit such a claim.

But you are correct, the "bump" is always the objective, so that number will have to wait.

Again, it will depend on how will the same platitudes and promises from every previous DNC will play outside the most fervent supporters who would swoon at 4 days of poetry readings.

Said NEARLY flawless. And aside from the Schultz Monday troubles and a very small number of Sanders folk - it has been nearly flawless. In fact, compare this to the GOP convention of the previous weeks and the Dems look like a finely built German luxury automobile compared to the Republicans sputtering sexier old Korean KIA on its last legs.

If that is what you took from my post - you missed the boat since you were at your own airport.

If you subtract the hyper-partisan fawning and pom-pom waving from your post, there isn't much left to respond to. I made the best of your mess as I could.

If you subtract the hyper-partisan fawning and pom-pom waving from your post, there isn't much left to respond to. I made the best of your mess as I could.

Now you went to the train station in a flaccid effort to attack me out of partisan and ideological loyalties.

Back
Top Bottom