• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Obama's speech at DNC

Barack Obama?
Who cares.
His wife showed so much star power that Hillary is going to have to go bold tonight ...

hillary blackface.jpg

Now THAT'S what I call plagiarism.

Dang. Missed it. It was that good, huh? I had a continuous loop of John Candy as the Croatian Dalmatian playing.

Barack, Michelle and Biden all killed it when it came to speeches.

I wonder, what Obama could say of interesting substance in such a speech. The man has done less damage than might have been expected at the beginning. In that respect we have been lucky. But he is lame duck, spent and has caused large harm domestically and in the international theater.

Watch the speech. His oration is light years ahead of all the other speakers. Bill and Michelle are also both excellent. Even Biden. Several speakers, including Trump, are under the impression that yelling is the way to get one's point across. It grinds on the audience rather quickly.

The art of inflection is just that.

Watch the speech. His oration is light years ahead of all the other speakers. Bill and Michelle are also both excellent. Even Biden. Several speakers, including Trump, are under the impression that yelling is the way to get one's point across. It grinds on the audience rather quickly.

It reminds us that while Obama can choose good words his delivery is condescending and preachy...Slick Willie was always a better speaker.

It reminds us that while Obama can choose good words his delivery is condescending and preachy...Slick Willie was always a better speaker.

Apparently you weren't paying attention. Again.

But would I want to listen to an excellently intoned 15 minutes just to hear high language and fine sound?

This thread is a butt kissing frenzy.

Trump's kids kicked their asses. Surprising, but true.

I do a fair amount of public speaking as part of my job. Doing it well is extremely difficult and nerve wracking.

Trump's kids are all fine public speakers, most especially Ivanka and the older son (not Don Jr.). That takes nothing away from the fact Obama is likely one of the best public speakers going. I was surprised by Mrs. Obama's speech - she did a surprisingly good job, didn't know she had it in her.

That said none of them hold a candle to the old school orators who improvised their speeches from memorized talking points.

His speech. And apparently your English teacher or your spell check.. "Allege"

Who is he, Bill? I said that he had great delivery, which is what I heard you say.

What, exactly, is your problem?

:shrug:

President Obama was in fine form. I am biased of course. But he is certainly one of the finest speakers of my lifetime. And I go back to JFK.

Lucky for us he'll have plenty of time to make millions giving them, very soon.

I wonder, what Obama could say of interesting substance in such a speech. The man has done less damage than might have been expected at the beginning. In that respect we have been lucky. But he is lame duck, spent and has caused large harm domestically and in the international theater.

A lame duck with a phone and a pen and the willingness to use it. How many of his actions have been directly overturned by a court so far? Hes dangerous until hes gone. He just sent more troops into harms way in Iraq. Did congress authorize it?

drilling moritorium
immigration action
NLRB recess appointments
ACA delays

all direct action overturned by courts

"The political calculus here is that if President Obama can help Hillary Clinton to reassemble the coalition that elected him in 2012, she wins."

How Obama'''s DNC Speech Broke From History - NBC News

But you gotta ask if the man could not/would not keep the coalition together up till now, for himself, how is he going to put it back together in a few weeks in order to protect his pet programs by getting Clinton elected? This is one more case of Obama not doing the work, and then expecting to skate by anyways on a flash of charm and good words. When it fails, as it usually does, he blames it all on hostility to his skin color.

What a lazy prick.

I do a fair amount of public speaking as part of my job. Doing it well is extremely difficult and nerve wracking.

Trump's kids are all fine public speakers, most especially Ivanka and the older son (not Don Jr.). That takes nothing away from the fact Obama is likely one of the best public speakers going. I was surprised by Mrs. Obama's speech - she did a surprisingly good job, didn't know she had it in her.

That said none of them hold a candle to the old school orators who improvised their speeches from memorized talking points.

Improvisation is very difficult. My youngest daughter studied improv at Ryan Stiles' comedy club. She was lucky enough to be taught by him and other very talented artists. By the age of 9 she was performing in front of crowds of over 100 people. That experience has served her well. She now enjoys making presentations in front of people.

In another life I was on the road for 11 years speaking to groups from 6 to one thousand. There most certainly is an art to it. Those who speak for a living understand the importance of cadence, inflection, self deprecation and timing. More than anything else, knowing your material allows for far more effective communication. Practice and study time are essential.

As such I appreciate a good speech on its merits. It's not just content.

President Obama was in fine form. I am biased of course. But he is certainly one of the finest speakers of my lifetime. And I go back to JFK.

Yes regardless of politics he has always been a great speaker that's for sure. Actually there have been many good speeches at the DNC compared to the RNC so far. I don't agree with all their content but so far the DNC has had the much more relatable tone, message and delivery of something . . anything . . But I expected that with Trump at the helm with all the doom, gloom drama and how he is the answer. Oh well I have kinda always expected Hilary to win because unfortunately I always thought the right would screw it up and push the wrong people and swing to far right. :(

Improvisation is very difficult. My youngest daughter studied improv at Ryan Stiles' comedy club. She was lucky enough to be taught by him and other very talented artists. By the age of 9 she was performing in front of crowds of over 100 people. That experience has served her well. She now enjoys making presentations in front of people.

In another life I was on the road for 11 years speaking to groups from 6 to one thousand. There most certainly is an art to it. Those who speak for a living understand the importance of cadence, inflection, self deprecation and timing. More than anything else, knowing your material allows for far more effective communication. Practice and study time are essential.

As such I appreciate a good speech on its merits. It's not just content.

I agree on all counts. I've done both - delivered prepared text and spoken extemporaneously given a set a written points. Both are difficult in their own way. Lately I've been reading about the old Roman and Greek orators and how they prepared for their orations. Fascinating the mental tricks they used (primarily the Roman Room but there were others) to memorized the sequence of main points they wanted to hit and then improvised the actual words. The better ones, like Cicero, could speak for hours, cogently and convincingly, without referring to any written notes. I'm trying to learn to do that myself - not for hours I'd be happy with 20 minutes. It isn't easy.

I delivered a prepared text at my mother in law's funeral a few years ago. After the funeral the priest came over and said to me that I could speak at his church any time I wanted to. I consider that the best compliment I've ever gotten on my public speaking ability.

Last edited:
I agree on all counts. I've done both - delivered prepared text and spoken extemporaneously given a set a written points. Both are difficult in their own way. Lately I've been reading about the old Roman and Greek orators and how they prepared for their orations. Fascinating the mental tricks they used (primarily the Roman Room but there were others) to memorized the sequence of main points they wanted to hit and then improvised the actual words. I'm trying to learn to do that myself. It isn't easy.

I delivered a prepared text at my mother in law's funeral a few years ago. After the funeral the priest came over and said to me that I could speak at his church any time I wanted to. I consider that the best compliment I've ever gotten on my public speaking ability.

That indeed is a compliment. It is amazing how a speaker can work a crowd and control the room. Getting a standing ovation is a spiritual experience too.

I've taken my lumps over the course of time however. You learn quickly not to make the same mistake twice. Alcohol was the first such lesson for me (my audience had cocktails before and during) Can you say REALLY bad idea?

Back
Top Bottom