• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama's Science Czar Considered Forced Abortions, Sterilization as Population Growth

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Link

John Holdren, director of the White House's Office of Science and Technology Policy, considered compulsory abortions and other Draconian measures to shrink the human population in a 1977 science textbook.

By Joseph Abrams
FOXNews.com
Tuesday, July 21, 2009

President Obama's "science czar," Paul Holdren, once floated the idea of forced abortions, "compulsory sterilization," and the creation of a "Planetary Regime" that would oversee human population levels and control all natural resources as a means of protecting the planet -- controversial ideas his critics say should have been brought up in his Senate confirmation hearings.
Holdren, who has degrees from MIT and Stanford and headed a science policy program at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government for the past 13 years, won the unanimous approval of the Senate as the president's chief science adviser.
He was confirmed with little fanfare on March 19 as director of the White House's Office of Science and Technology Policy, a 50-person directorate that advises the president on scientific affairs, focusing on energy independence and global warming.
But many of Holdren's radical ideas on population control were not brought up at his confirmation hearings; it appears that the senators who scrutinized him had no knowledge of the contents of a textbook he co-authored in 1977, "Ecoscience: Population, Resources, Environment," a copy of which was obtained by FOXNews.com.
The 1,000-page course book, which was co-written with environmental activists Paul and Anne Ehrlich, discusses and in one passage seems to advocate totalitarian measures to curb population growth, which it says could cause an environmental catastrophe.
The three authors summarize their guiding principle in a single sentence: "To provide a high quality of life for all, there must be fewer people."
As first reported by FrontPage Magazine, Holdren and his co-authors spend a portion of the book discussing possible government programs that could be used to lower birth rates.
Those plans include forcing single women to abort their babies or put them up for adoption; implanting sterilizing capsules in people when they reach puberty; and spiking water reserves and staple foods with a chemical that would make people sterile.
To help achieve those goals, they formulate a "world government scheme" they call the Planetary Regime, which would administer the world's resources and human growth, and they discuss the development of an "armed international organization, a global analogue of a police force" to which nations would surrender part of their sovereignty.
Sounds like this guy would have been great under the Third Reich.

Re: Obama's Science Czar Considered Forced Abortions, Sterilization as Population Gro

Sounds like this guy would have been great under the Third Reich.
Why is it that liberal types always think they can out-plan Mother Nature?

Re: Obama's Science Czar Considered Forced Abortions, Sterilization as Population Gro

:lol: the thought police are out again.

Obama's Fourth Reich :rofl

Last edited:

President Obama's "science czar," Paul Holdren, once floated the idea of forced abortions, "compulsory sterilization," and the creation of a "Planetary Regime" that would oversee human population levels and control all natural resources as a means of protecting the planet -- controversial ideas his critics say should have been brought up in his Senate confirmation hearings.

Earth should be protected. It is more precious than any of us. The earth does not need us humans to survive, we need the earth.

No need to have forced abortions. Voluntary abortion rates speaks for itself. US has the most abortions in the world right? And UK is 2nd or third.

Besides, add to that natural disasters and the ever diminishing natural minerals. The population is overdue on a culling and population drop anyway.

Last edited:

This sounds completely and utterly overblown and taken out of context. Does anybody have the text of the passages that supposedly espouse ideals more totalitarian than the Nazis did? I find it odd that a scientist would put their authoritarian manifesto in a textbook, and feel that it is very likely that this is the type of "reporting" that gives Fox its reputation

This sounds completely and utterly overblown and taken out of context. Does anybody have the text of the passages that supposedly espouse ideals more totalitarian than the Nazis did? I find it odd that a scientist would put their authoritarian manifesto in a textbook, and feel that it is very likely that this is the type of "reporting" that gives Fox its reputation

I agree that the context would be helpful. Of course, in a basic sociology textbook at a college I attended, there was some utter garbage printed in there, so I wouldn't be too suprised to see some element of douchbaggery in a college text.

Well I could go for better access to abortion procedures and even free rubbers, but the rest of what this scientist allegedly proposes is just too... controlling. I couldn't buy it. Forced abortions, no. Forced sterilizations, hell no. Having a Planetary Regime and accompanying police force, hell ****ing no.

I agree that the context would be helpful. Of course, in a basic sociology textbook at a college I attended, there was some utter garbage printed in there, so I wouldn't be too suprised to see some element of douchbaggery in a college text.

But advocating forced abortions and sterilization? I'm extremely skeptical that this report is accurate

Earth should be protected. It is more precious than any of us. The earth does not need us humans to survive, we need the earth.

No need to have forced abortions. Voluntary abortion rates speaks for itself. US has the most abortions in the world right? And UK is 2nd or third.

Besides, add to that natural disasters and the ever diminishing natural minerals. The population is overdue on a culling and population drop anyway.

Just a thought...Most Folks in the U.S.A. and U.K are killing their offspring out of convenience. (Liberals).:lol: No arguement from me.:roll:

Anyone got a Questia account?

Ecoscience: Population, Resources, Environment

That's the whole book online. Non-account holders can only read the first page in the sections.

Amazon's no help as the only two reviews are within the past week (despite the book being published over 30 years ago).

Food for thought:

"Description misrepresented as endorsement": Bludgeoning Obama's science advisor with a 1977 textbook : bioephemera

The blog author brings up a good point. Who wrote the sections in question?

The blog author brings up a good point. Who wrote the sections in question?
Does that really matter?

If the guy is listed as an author of the text, whether he constructed those precise sentences or no, does not his claim of authorship include a claim on those offending sentences? If he is an author of the text, should he not stand behind all that is in the text?

Does that really matter?

If the guy is listed as an author of the text, whether he constructed those precise sentences or no, does not his claim of authorship include a claim on those offending sentences? If he is an author of the text, should he not stand behind all that is in the text?

The passages do not advocate what the OP's article claims. The section that mentions compulsory abortion was reporting that some attorney at some point concluded, among other things, that population control methods which include forced abortion could be constitutionally. The reporting here is completely dishonest. Holdren was not advocating and does not advocate for forced abortion. Forced abortion and sterilization are not "Holdren's radical ideas." Period.

The Earth is a ball of minerals entirely owned by human beings and useful only insofar as it serves us.

Until people understand this, they will make absurd decisions based on a fetish for dirt.

The Earth is a ball of minerals entirely owned by human beings and useful only insofar as it serves us.

Until people understand this, they will make absurd decisions based on a fetish for dirt.
But dirt feels soooo good on the skin. :lol:

. . . I find it odd that a scientist would put their authoritarian manifesto in a textbook. . .
How old were you in the 1970's? This sort of stuff was pretty common back then. Further, we'd just gotten past an era in which scientific authorities were asserting with confidence that intellectual superiority of one race or other.

Does that really matter?

Extremely.

If the guy is listed as an author of the text, whether he constructed those precise sentences or no, does not his claim of authorship include a claim on those offending sentences?

Only so much as the ten authors on a biology book claim ownership to the parts they never wrote. Frankly, the only reason to write a book with other authors is because you don't have the expertise, ideas or knowledge to write those portions. Thus, what one author writes is generally not considered to be the "work" of the other because they didn't write it. While it is legally their co-owned property, it's not their beliefs.

I ask you, if an author has his graduate students write math problems which turn out to be wrong in the textbook, is that first the author's screw up? He didn't write the problems. Yes, it is in the end his fault for not checking their work, but it was not his work.

Trying to bash this guy on the basis of work we don't even know is his because it is allegedly his beliefs is rather nuts. We first must know if that is his belief.

If he is an author of the text, should he not stand behind all that is in the text?

That doesn't mean it's his ideas or he believes it. You'd be amazed how many coauthors don't read each others' sections.

But dirt feels soooo good on the skin. :lol:

Try 118 Farenheit,,,with 60 MPH wind gusts. In the Desert.:lol:

We don't own this Earth and when we destroy it beyond repair perhaps we will mourn what we lost. The older generation are such fools. Not even caring what state they leave it to the next generation.

The arrogance of our race knows no bounds, trampling and destroying the world and other animals habitats as if its our god given right :roll:

Just a thought...Most Folks in the U.S.A. and U.K are killing their offspring out of convenience. (Liberals).:lol: No arguement from me.:roll:

I'll do you a deal.

You prevent starvation where thousands of already born human beings are dying from lack of food and water and i will turn pro life and actually care about a few cells

We don't own this Earth and when we destroy it beyond repair perhaps we will mourn what we lost. The older generation are such fools. Not even caring what state they leave it to the next generation.

The arrogance of our race knows no bounds, trampling and destroying the world and other animals habitats as if its our god given right :roll:

You just got done watching "the day the earth stood still", didn't you? :wink:

But advocating forced abortions and sterilization? I'm extremely skeptical that this report is accurate
Here' ya go.

Link 1

Link 2

It's soooooooooooooooo easy when you actually read the source materials in the O.P., no?

Only so much as the ten authors on a biology book claim ownership to the parts they never wrote. Frankly, the only reason to write a book with other authors is because you don't have the expertise, ideas or knowledge to write those portions. Thus, what one author writes is generally not considered to be the "work" of the other because they didn't write it. While it is legally their co-owned property, it's not their beliefs.
How can they claim the property and say "but I don't believe that"? If they don't know what it says, how can they even claim legal ownership?

I ask you, if an author has his graduate students write math problems which turn out to be wrong in the textbook, is that first the author's screw up? He didn't write the problems. Yes, it is in the end his fault for not checking their work, but it was not his work.
Bad analogy. If a teacher's students make errors while writing stuff for him, obviously he didn't do a great job of teaching, now did he? ;)

Trying to bash this guy on the basis of work we don't even know is his because it is allegedly his beliefs is rather nuts. We first must know if that is his belief.
If he's claiming the property, he's claiming the belief. If he's ignorant of his own book's contents, then he's woefully inept as a science adviser.

That doesn't mean it's his ideas or he believes it. You'd be amazed how many coauthors don't read each others' sections.
Then he's an idiot for not being more involved.

You just got done watching "the day the earth stood still", didn't you? :wink:

What is that? :confused:

I'll do you a deal.

You prevent starvation where thousands of already born human beings are dying from lack of food and water and i will turn pro life and actually care about a few cells
Cool, so you advocate free market economies and vigorous capitalism the world over!

Back
Top Bottom