• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama's Nation Address Sept 10 2013.....

Sanctions have been incrementally increased for the past three years.. and there have been a number of diplomatic contacts.

Chemical Weapons were there 3 years ago too. Notice there was no Diplomacy to get hold of them. Plus Diplomatic Contacts with the US became Nil, other than When Clinton or Obama opened their mouths to talk about what they didn't understand in front of a Camera.

Putin is not an ideologue.. he's all about pipelines and commerce.

Perhaps in Syria. But he comes from a country with a history where dictators and mass murderers go away rewarded and the regime is unchallenged, un-judged, un-penalized, and the victims demise is uncompensated to this day.

Hence I doubt he would care to use brute force (perhaps WMD's as well) towards civilians and the population in Syria (the real victims between rebels and Assad) should they be in the way of his pipelines and commerce.

You want boots on the ground in YEMEN??????

I want to understand why Obama would continue assassinations with drones when it's against U.S. and International law.

Yeah. It is difficult for the time being but in time things should smooth down. My prediction at least.

I share your hope. Now we can celebrate the first elected president of Pakistan to ever survive their five year term in office. ;)

It took an invasion to find that out. I hardly think that ten years of evasion followed by five years of war is a winning strategy to follow in Syria.
Agree.

If the president feels it is in the US interest to launch an attack, he should do it.

Disagree.

If there is no immediate threat then presidents must go to Congress for a declaration of war. I would like to see the Congress vote anyway and hand the One a stinging defeat. Congress needs to give this Cowboy their own version of his Red Line.

I believe this may be a positive outcome of a very poorly executed foreign policy. If the nation's citizens do not support a war, if there are no vital national interests at stake then stay out.

I want to understand why Obama would continue assassinations with drones when it's against U.S. and International law.

Because drones save lives when you are pursuing terrorists.

Keeping the public informed about a new possibility is not equivocating.

So then don't you think he should have been Honest? I mean starting off with I told Congress to postpone the Vote after the House said they wouldn't even address it.....and then later to have Harry Reid come out and state there would be no vote. Is a bit disingenuous. For days the House has said they weren't even considering taking the vote.

Is there some other way that you can try and spin that part about keeping the public informed? Notice he didn't want to inform the public to much about those Rebel/ terrorists. So not saying anything about them other than what he has heaqrd people say. Really isn't informing the people now.....is it? Now did you want to go on to the tangent over the semantics of generalities? :lol:

So where was all the tough talk of the last week?
Where is this America's problem?

Because drones save lives when you are pursuing terrorists.

You didn't address the issue: Why is Obama pursing illegal drone assassinations against U.S. and International law? You're answer is unacceptable...

Were you supportive of "waterboarding" as well?

So then don't you think he should have been Honest? I mean starting off with I told Congress to postpone the Vote after the House said they wouldn't even address it.....and then later to have Harry Reid come out and state there would be no vote. Is a bit disingenuous. For days the House has said they weren't even considering taking the vote.

Is there some other way that you can try and spin that part about keeping the public informed? Notice he didn't want to inform the public to much about those Rebel/ terrorists. So not saying anything about them other than what he has heaqrd people say. Really isn't informing the people now.....is it? Now did you want to go on to the tangent over the semantics of generalities? :lol:

The rebels or terrorists are young Syrian dissidents... Druze, Shia, Sunni... and some foreign fighters.. all dominated by an Alawite minority.

I am not a young one and I have been following events in the ME very closely for over 50 years. They have to want peace for themselves more than we want it for them. We can't impose democratic process on them.

Well for 50 years they have proven they haven't wanted any Peace.....so anytime they try to talk Peace. They really shouldn't be taken seriously.

No we can't impose democratic process for them.....nor do we have to put up with any of their BS. I am sure they wouldn't want to see how that works. How it REALLY works.

You didn't address the issue: Why is Obama pursing illegal drone assassinations against U.S. and International law? You're answer is unacceptable...

Were you supportive of "waterboarding" as well?

No.. I didn't support torture of any kind, but I know the terrain of Yemen and its violent history back to the 1940s.

Well for 50 years they have proven they haven't wanted any Peace.....so anytime they try to talk Peace. They really shouldn't be taken seriously.

No we can't impose democratic process for them.....nor do we have to put up with any of their BS. I am sure they wouldn't want to see how that works. How it REALLY works.

Much of the ME has been peaceful..

Yet Obama increased assassinations via drone strikes from the Bush years and continues to do so. Disappointing.

Re: the OP

Equivocation speech at it's best. I heard one of the MSNBC talking heads this morning say it was more of a "briefing" - which sounds about right. American's are still left clueless as to what the goal of Syrian involvement is and what effect the unbelievably small "not pinprick" strikes would have on the region. Obama and team has no strategy, no proof it can share with the public that empirically shows Assad gassed his own people, and did little in his speech to sway anyone. In fact, I think he spent the time arguing with himself in front of the camera.

Best thing about the speech was: It was only 16 minutes. It invariably takes him that long to answer a WH Press Core softball question like, "How do you believe the G20 meetings went?"

Yes, see it use to be Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick.....now its get Emotional, touchy, feely, and we will need to come at those with Strong determination and a few pin pricks. :lamo

No.. I didn't support torture of any kind, but I know the terrain of Yemen and its violent history back to the 1940s.

If you didn't support illegal torture "waterboarding" which also could save lives, why would you support illegal assassination?

If you didn't support illegal torture "waterboarding" which also could save lives, why would you support illegal assassination?

Striking out at terrorists who are recruiting for attacks on the US is hardly assassination.

And...
The fact of the matter is ... you will support him no matter what he does.

Heya MV. :2wave: LTNS bro.....hope you are well. Blindly and without any hesitation whatsoever.....but don't Worry Theres whole hoards of them for the taking. :lol:

Striking out at terrorists who are recruiting for attacks on the US is hardly assassination.

Much of the ME has been peaceful..

Not over the past 20-30 years it hasn't, though I guess it depends on how you define "peaceful". And I'd point out that much of what you may call "peace" was done under brutal heavy handed dictators like Saddam and Giddafi who raped, murdered, and tortured their own people to keep power. A bit high of a price for "peace" and certainly not peaceful if you lived under such fear.

The whole Speech is at the Link.....4 pages worth. This is pretty much the gist of what he said tonight. The vid of course has the whole speech.

So this is what he said. Thought upon the matter?

"I believe our democracy is stronger when the president acts with the support of Congress"

Sure. This is why people dont care about his speeches anymore. They dont reflect reality.

As long as its Chicago, I really dont care.

That wont happen.....But don't worry. There are those with experience on the Front lines. Plus we don't play by theirs or the GOP's Rules of Engagement. :lol:

Not over the past 20-30 years it hasn't, though I guess it depends on how you define "peaceful". And I'd point out that much of what you may call "peace" was done under brutal heavy handed dictators like Saddam and Giddafi who raped, murdered, and tortured their own people to keep power. A bit high of a price for "peace" and certainly not peaceful if you lived under such fear.

There is more to the ME than Iraq and Libya.

He blinked. He's shown over and over again, he is not ready for prime time on the world stage. His white house and cabinet look like the Marx Brothers or perhaps the Three (if not more) Stooges. Putin is playing him like a violin. Obama is an embarrassment.

Back
Top Bottom