• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama's High Crime - Impeachment and Incarcerate

CalGun

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
CIA-funded weapons begin to reach Syrian rebels - CNN.com

If you notice the date, and the link in the story to the Washington Post who's story is not dated (interesting) this regime (administration) armed terrorist on or before 9/12/2013. This president signed an executive order waiving a federal law for himself on the 16th or 17th of September. The federal law forbids the arming of terrorist groups and is a crime that warrants life in prison.

How can one waive a law they already violated? It's time to remove this felon from office and lock him up for life!

This isn't the first time he's blatantly ignored the law and it won't be the last. If he doesn't give a **** about our constitution, why would he care about our laws?

As if Obama's the first president to fight a proxy war.

Is that really what you're saying to this? "Oh, well others have done similar things, so whatever".

If I were to do such a thing I'd be thrown in jail for the rest of my life. I want to know why government officials can blatantly ignore our laws while we're held to them.

If you notice the date, and the link in the story to the Washington Post who's story is not dated (interesting) this regime (administration) armed terrorist on or before 9/12/2013. This president signed an executive order waiving a federal law for himself on the 16th or 17th of September. The federal law forbids the arming of terrorist groups and is a crime that warrants life in prison.

How can one waive a law they already violated? It's time to remove this felon from office and lock him up for life!
and we had CIA in Benghazi with a warehouse full of weapons that some they claim was stolen were these the weapons they were funneling to Syria? is this what the cover up in the Benghazi attack was meant to hide?

here-is-what-ronald-reagan-wrote-about-the-debt-ceiling-in-his-diary.jpg

Reagan frowns on your suggestion he can't arm terrorists.

I would also like to point out that Obama signed only one executive order in September 2013, which was "CONTINUANCE OF CERTAIN FEDERAL ADVISORY COMMITTEES." And the one before that was "Prohibiting Certain Imports of Burmese Jadeite and Rubies"

Executive Orders | The White House

Sorry to ruin your story with facts.

and we had CIA in Benghazi with a warehouse full of weapons that some they claim was stolen were these the weapons they were funneling to Syria? is this what the cover up in the Benghazi attack was meant to hide?

What the ****? Hey screwball, take off the tin-foil hat.

I would also like to point out that Obama signed only one executive order in September 2013, which was "CONTINUANCE OF CERTAIN FEDERAL ADVISORY COMMITTEES." And the one before that was "Prohibiting Certain Imports of Burmese Jadeite and Rubies"

i would like to know how obama believes he can prohibit imports, since that is a delegated power of congress, not the president.

If we couldn't impeach the gipper for the the Iran-Contra affair, what makes you think that this is an impeachable offense?:2wave:

If we couldn't impeach the gipper for the the Iran-Contra affair, what makes you think that this is an impeachable offense?:2wave:

Who's the modern day Ollie North to fall on their sword to protect the President?

i would like to know how obama believes he can prohibit imports, since that is a delegated power of congress, not the president.

I was wondering the same thing, perhaps you should read the order and google the laws it cites as giving the President authority to act in this fashion.

International Emergency Economic Powers Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

National Emergencies Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tom Lantos Block Burmese JADE (Junta's Anti-Democratic Efforts) Act of 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plus other sources cited in that particular EO.

This isn't the first time he's blatantly ignored the law and it won't be the last. If he doesn't give a **** about our constitution, why would he care about our laws?

Is that really what you're saying to this? "Oh, well others have done similar things, so whatever".

If I were to do such a thing I'd be thrown in jail for the rest of my life. I want to know why government officials can blatantly ignore our laws while we're held to them.

No, I'm saying if you want to complain about presidents breaking these laws then you should also take issue with JFK for instance. My point is, instead of directing this at a specific person, it should be directed at the general practice of presidents breaking laws.

No, I'm saying if you want to complain about presidents breaking these laws then you should also take issue with JFK for instance. My point is, instead of directing this at a specific person, it should be directed at the general practice of presidents breaking laws.

Ah, so more an argument towards the system as a whole for allowing such a thing. I can get on board with that.

I was wondering the same thing, perhaps you should read the order and google the laws it cites as giving the President authority to act in this fashion.

International Emergency Economic Powers Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

National Emergencies Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tom Lantos Block Burmese JADE (Junta's Anti-Democratic Efforts) Act of 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plus other sources cited in that particular EO.

you should read the federalist papers #45 by madison.

The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government, are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State.

delegated powers are congress....... not the president

:roll:

Ah, so more an argument towards the system as a whole for allowing such a thing. I can get on board with that.

Yes. There seems to be no accountability with presidents here. In my opinion, they all seem to look out for each other.

Having look up these laws, the basis for this EO as well as the past EOs that were signed by Bush and Clinton that are also listed as justification, is the IEEPA which grants the President authority from Congress to enact certain rules regarding trade, imports/exports during times of national crisis. In this case the repression of the people of Burma constituted an emergency and the US could not be seen as allowing trade with them. Why them and not say Egypt for example? Because politics thats why.

Also interesting note the IEEPA was enacted as a limit not an expansion of Presidential authority.

you should read the federalist papers #45 by madison.

The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government, are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State.

delegated powers are congress....... not the president

I'm not trying to defend it, I know literally nothing about the Burmese jade trade. I just thought it was an interesting question that you asked because I thought the same thing, so I went and did some research.

But Congress does have the power to delegate some of its authority to the President, in what's known as an "Enabling Act" named so because it "enables" the President to do something. Typically these are crisis based laws, meant only to take effect when the fastest reaction possible is required, an example is the War Powers Act. The SCOTUS has held such enabling acts to generally be constitutional, although it has struck down a few that have gone too far.

Do you really know anything about the Iran-Contra affair, who broke the news, what went on, who we know for sure was in on it and who was not...for instance??

I'm not trying to defend it, I know literally nothing about the Burmese jade trade. I just thought it was an interesting question that you asked because I thought the same thing, so I went and did some research.

But Congress does have the power to delegate some of its authority to the President, in what's known as an "Enabling Act" named so because it "enables" the President to do something. Typically these are crisis based laws, meant only to take effect when the fastest reaction possible is required, an example is the War Powers Act. The SCOTUS has held such enabling acts to generally be constitutional, although it has struck down a few that have gone too far.

EO was meant to be used inside the executive branch only.

and no congress cannot delegate any of its power away, the constitution gives each branch certain powers, and foreign commerce is strictly a duty of congress, the only way to do that would be an amendment.

1) The law violated was written after 9/11. President Reagan and actions involving Iran-Contra were not in violation of a law that didn't exist for 20 years yet.

2) If it wasn't a crime then why did he waive the law to protect himself? And why after the fact?
Obama Arming Syrian Terrorists He Once Warned We Should Fight - Investors.com

There is plenty of evidence to suggest the law was waived, and I doubt it would appear on wiseone's beloved govt web site link if it in fact provides clear
evidence this dictator violated the law before he waived it.

You think every executive order appears on that site - you aren't that naive are you - really?

The issuance of such an order is not really relevant - other than it shows the dictator figured out he violated the law.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324188604578543820387158806.html

The above article goes back much further and suggests this regime was setting in motion the breaking of the law
in early summer.

The OP is utterly ignorant. The funding for rebels was approved by congress on a number of occasions, most notably the Syrian Transition and Support Act. The provisions explicitly detail that aid can only be given to individuals not on official terrorist designation lists.

The whole Syria debacle may have been incredibly stupid, but it was done legally.

If neither Reagan nor Bush Jr. were tried, convicted and did jail time, certainly nor will Obama.

Yes, we have allowed ourselves to have an Imperial presidency. Yes, absolute power corrupts absolutely. That is fault of the citizenry that looks the other way on such things, not the office holder per se.

That all said, poster #22 is correct: this particular matter is not about Obama overstepping his authority. Moreover, picking winners and losers in the world political arena is not always easy. Consider that Taliban (and Bin Laden) was our friend (when the USSR invaded Afghanistan), before they were an enemy; Saddam Hussein was our friend (when he was warring with Iran), before he was our enemy; Iran was our friend (prior to 1979), before they were our enemy. Today's freedom fighters are tomorrow's terrorists.

Last edited:
Far Right Wing Conservatives like the OP have been talking about impeachment since January 21st, 2009.

Can someone wake me up when there's ever an ass hair chance of this happening, because this is getting old and boring.

Who's the modern day Ollie North to fall on their sword to protect the President?

Perhaps BO could persuade sen. Corker.He was on face the nation endorsing assistance to the rebels during an appearance on that show.:2wave:

Back
Top Bottom