• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama's first Oval Office address

ecofarm

global liberation
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I think it was a fine speech. Of course, he knew he had some quality work... wagering as he did in presenting it from the Oval Office.

Perhaps a bit measured (and excessive in the use of 3 examples preceded by repetitive verbs... what's the name of that tool?).

I particularly liked "sons of the Gulf". The blending of humans and habitat, in a sort of anthropomorphism is nice to hear.

I liked his vision and felt that when he refered to "God", he was refering to "collective influence" or whatever our own god may be. A bit much praying at the end and the God thing became cumbersome; overall, a decent inclusion of religion, spirituality or social mission with room for the individual observer to insert their philosophy.

I saw glimpses of things that helped get him into office, but the mechanics, repetition and slightly excessive god-stuff kept it from being a really great speech (for me).

I suppose we should attach links, etc; however, I doubt it is on youtube yet.

What do you think about the speech itself (style, methods, etc) and the positions outlined therein?

Last edited:
What I got out of it was the same riff raff - exactly what I expected. Nothing new, nothing wow, nothing dramatic.

His slogan went from "hope" to "pray" - I guess "hope" didn't take people very far.

I knew the pray pray pray stuff was excessive, but I did not see it being used so viciously and humorously against him. That might sting politically, as his more environmentally (and/or extremely) minded authoritarian supporters take offence at religion in government (even as a speaking tool).

Last edited:
Well, it was certainly along the lines of his usual routine - I'm not surprised he went there.

I didn't see it, but apparently it didn't go over to well with the libs at MSNBC:

Olbermann: "It was a great speech if you were on another planet for the last 57 days."

Matthews compared Obama to Carter.

Olbermann: "Nothing specific at all was said."

Matthews: "No direction."

Howard Fineman: "He wasn't specific enough."

Olbermann: "I don't think he aimed low, I don't think he aimed at all. It's startling."

Howard Fineman: Obama should be acting like a "commander-in-chief."

Matthews: Ludicrous that he keeps saying [Secretary of Energy] Chu has a Nobel prize. "I'll barf if he does it one more time."

Matthews: "A lot of meritocracy, a lot of blue ribbon talk."

Matthews: "I don't sense executive command."

RealClearPolitics - Video - MSNBC Trashes Obama's Address: Compared To Carter, "I Don't Sense Executive Command"

Daaayuuum.
First time EVER that Olbermann and I share a similar view on anything other than our shared belief that the sky if freaking pink.

Daaayuuum.
First time EVER that Olbermann and I share a similar view on anything other than our shared belief that the sky if freaking pink.

No clearly you're hallucinating because liberals would never question their Messiah. We love absolutely everything that every Democrat does! :roll:

No clearly you're hallucinating because liberals would never question their Messiah. We love absolutely everything that every Democrat does! :roll:

LOL The average Democrat - yes - sane and balanced, critical and praising at the same time. But Olbermann? Him not humping Obama's leg is truly shocking.
"I don't think he aimed at all" . . . :eek:

Back
Top Bottom