• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obamacare Mandate Postponed[W:42]

Samhain

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Key Obamacare provision delayed – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

The requirement that businesses provide their workers with health insurance or face fines - a key provision contained in President Barack Obama's sweeping health care law - will be delayed by one year, the Treasury Department said Tuesday.

The delay came after business owners expressed concerns about the complexity of the reporting requirements, the agency said in its announcement. Under the Affordable Care Act, businesses employing 50 or more full-time workers that don't provide them health insurance will be penalized.

Shocker.(not) I guess the Democratic Party strategy of "owning" Obamacare during the midterms isn't going to play out.

Its going to be an interesting 2014 as they aren't postponing the individual mandate. How much longer before the administration asks for a "patch"? Any takers on an amendment that states "add X years to all dates contained within"?

Also, since this is making it clear that whoever controls the Executive branch can just willy nilly delay/implement portions of the law, I guess any future administration can turn portions on and off too.

Last edited:
Looks to me like polticians are actually listening to their constituents in trying to implement a sweeping system in the least painful way possible.

Looks to me like polticians are actually listening to their constituents in trying to implement a sweeping system in the least painful way possible.

Last time I checked, the Treasury Department and HHS aren't populated with elected politicians.

Charles C. W. Cooke @charlescwcooke

It is going to be hilarious to watch progressives defend a move that screws individuals and exempts corporations.

It always amazes me how President Obama has utter contempt for the laws of the land, even ones he supports, and he seems to get away with it. It's hard to critize Egypt's democraticly elected government for making up laws as they go when President Obama seems prone to do the same.

It always amazes me how President Obama has utter contempt for the laws of the land, even ones he supports, and he seems to get away with it. It's hard to critize Egypt's democraticly elected government for making up laws as they go when President Obama seems prone to do the same.

If O can do this, what would stop the next Republican President from "postponing" everything?

yes, perfect timing. The next election will just be kicking off when this tax bomb is dropped on the business community, and Hillary will have to defend this failure of a healthcare bill. This is like giving the next GOP candidate a big political stick to swing around.

Yup, that was a completely dick move showing obama is a good uncle tom to his corporate masters. Not only is it a complete dick move, but it will not actually accomplish the goal of not pissing off americans before the election because he is leaving the individual requirements and penalties there. he better pray there is a miracle and the insurance companies actually give low cost insurance and do not use the mandate as a great way to force people into higher rates. But, what do you expect from a plan conceived by Mittens Romnifeeler.

Last time I checked, the Treasury Department and HHS aren't populated with elected politicians.

the heads of them are and most career federal worker are democrats because of the big government philosophy democrats have. dont bite the hand that feeds you

Yup, that was a completely dick move showing obama is a good uncle tom to his corporate masters. Not only is it a complete dick move, but it will not actually accomplish the goal of not pissing off americans before the election because he is leaving the individual requirements and penalties there. he better pray there is a miracle and the insurance companies actually give low cost insurance and do not use the mandate as a great way to force people into higher rates. But, what do you expect from a plan conceived by Mittens Romnifeeler.

It's a train wreck, right?

This has nothing to do with sensitivity for businesses and all to do with delaying the mandate past the 2014 elections. They made Obamacare to be effective until after the 2012 election in order to help Obama get reelected. The vulnerable Democrats were probably screaming at Obama to delay to help them out since they know how much Americans hate this stupid law.

This has nothing to do with sensitivity for businesses and all to do with delaying the mandate past the 2014 elections. They made Obamacare to be effective until after the 2012 election in order to help Obama get reelected. The vulnerable Democrats were probably screaming at Obama to delay to help them out since they know how much Americans hate this stupid law.

Every single thing Democrats do is for politics. The attainment of power is the sole objective.

LOL. Enjoying Singlepayer??

Key Obamacare provision delayed – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Shocker.(not) I guess the Democratic Party strategy of "owning" Obamacare during the midterms isn't going to play out.

Its going to be an interesting 2014 as they aren't postponing the individual mandate. How much longer before the administration asks for a "patch"? Any takers on an amendment that states "add X years to all dates contained within"?

Also, since this is making it clear that whoever controls the Executive branch can just willy nilly delay/implement portions of the law, I guess any future administration can turn portions on and off too.

Obamacare is the Dems' Iraq.:cool:

Charles C. W. Cooke @charlescwcooke

It is going to be hilarious to watch progressives defend a move that screws individuals and exempts corporations.

LOL !!!

What a disaster .

Yeah, well... had they actually listened to their constituents, they never would have passed a sweeping system of fail in the first place.

I honestly don't think Obama can do that. I don't think the executive branch has the legal power to delay the implementation of a law passed by congress the bill has a specific date of implementation Jan 1, 2014

is this not racist?

If O can do this, what would stop the next Republican President from "postponing" everything?

When adherence to laws is reliant upon the agencies of government, there's always the possibility that a head of state will ignore the application of the laws he/she doesn't like. When that happens too often, you have the option of impeachment. Other than that, you either devolve into a dictatorship or you have a military that rises up and takes power. My analogy to Egypt, once again.

yes, perfect timing. The next election will just be kicking off when this tax bomb is dropped on the business community, and Hillary will have to defend this failure of a healthcare bill. This is like giving the next GOP candidate a big political stick to swing around.

Actually, as it works out, the implementation is delayed until after the 2014 mid-terms in the hopes that Democrats won't be totally decimated by it then and comes into effect 18 months before the 2016 Presidential election and hopefully forgotten by a sleeping electorate by then. Nobody can accuse the Obama administration of being weak on the voter manipulation front.

LOL. Enjoying Singlepayer??

At least my government doesn't force me to go out shopping for a product I don't want and penalizes me if I don't. At least my government has a plan that is based on people's income, not on the financial needs of big pharma and those who make money off the suffering of the ill and diseased. At least my government listened to what the people wanted and came to a country-wide consensus when we moved 60 years ago to government funding of basic health care needs.

It's not perfect, it's cracking at the edges, and as our society ages it's more and more expensive, but it's what the citizens of this country want. Put you keep on supporting your little prince, if that keeps you happy.

Back
Top Bottom