• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

ObamaCare..anyone tried to sign up this morning?

You have a choice to either have insurance or pay a $95 fine/tax. You also have a choice to obtain your insurance through your employer, or purchase a private policy, or purchase a policy through a government insurance exchange (which may or may not be subsidized depending on your income).

Is that simple enough? Is that going to cause the ruination of our economy or healthcare system? Some seem to think so, although I can't imagine why.

That penalty will be 7 times that amount in a couple of years.
Will the subsidy cover the total premium as well as the deductible?
Will your current doctor be in the government exchange?
How does the cheapest Ocare plan compare with what you have now?
Will your out of pocket expense be the same, less than, or greater with Ocare?

Looks like it's federal exchanges that are having the issues. Kinda makes sense.

FOX is reporting technical snafus.

MSNBC is reporting huge numbers of people signing up as proof that Obamacare is amazingly popular. Sixteen republican congressmen resigned this morning, citing that they are "disgusted with the American public for embracing Obamacare" and the house is going to vote on the "clean bill" with expectations that it will pass with an overwhelming majority.

Of course I just made all of that up.

Sir, I don't like your tone.

Sorry. So you really wanted to sign up? You prefer Obamacare to socialized medicine? Well good for you!

But I still don't think that it is applicable "down under".

None of that particularly matters to me as I have private insurance.

None of that particularly matters to me as I have private insurance.

I DID too. Another issue that is being under-reported is that the private companies have not been quoting plans waiting for today (at least BCBS in TN). I spoke to the 'agents' who confirmed this was the norm. I have also spoken to friends in the same situation who confirmed this in their experience.

If people have to receive subsidies in order to pay for something, that is not a good sign, since it's obviously too expensive! And where is this "subsidy" money going to come from? Why the taxpayers of course! So why are 30 million people still not being covered? I thought that was the reason for changing to Obamacare in the first place--so everyone would now be covered :confused:

I DID too. Another issue that is being under-reported is that the private companies have not been quoting plans waiting for today (at least BCBS in TN). I spoke to the 'agents' who confirmed this was the norm. I have also spoken to friends in the same situation who confirmed this in their experience.

I think that you just proved that our system of private insurance sucks.

But so far, my BC/BS policy hasn't been canceled or modified.

MSNBC is reporting huge numbers of people signing up as proof that Obamacare is amazingly popular. Sixteen republican congressmen resigned this morning, citing that they are "disgusted with the American public for embracing Obamacare" and the house is going to vote on the "clean bill" with expectations that it will pass with an overwhelming majority.

Of course I just made all of that up.

You work for AP?

If people have to receive subsidies in order to pay for something, that is not a good sign, since it's obviously too expensive! And where is this "subsidy" money going to come from? Why the taxpayers of course! So why are 30 million people still not being covered? I thought that was the reason for changing to Obamacare in the first place--so everyone would now be covered :confused:

It's my understanding that the subsidies are coming from the new taxes imposed, the tanning bed tax, the medical devise tax, and the tax/fines for people who don't get it and employers who don't provide it.

Yup ... and the subsidies are the gasoline that runs the redistribution locomotive.

No, but I am almost as good as making up crap as they are.

Damn good ... you had me going.
But they don't bother with the disclaimer.
I guess that's why you're "almost" as good.

I think that you just proved that our system of private insurance sucks.

How so? Ours was working JUST FINE prior to PPACA!

But so far, my BC/BS policy hasn't been canceled or modified.

I hope you continue to fair well!

You have a choice to either have insurance or pay a $95 fine/tax. You also have a choice to obtain your insurance through your employer, or purchase a private policy, or purchase a policy through a government insurance exchange (which may or may not be subsidized depending on your income).

Is that simple enough? Is that going to cause the ruination of our economy or healthcare system? Some seem to think so, although I can't imagine why.

why don't you give the important information like cost and what are you getting for that cost. I will promise you you are getting less and it will cost you more then befor Obama care and lets not forget that if you had a doctor you seen over the years you might not be able to see him any more or the waiting lines you are going to experience because the ten of thousand dumped into I system that doctors are leaving or refusal to participate

How so? Ours was working JUST FINE prior to PPACA!

Really? Our current medical system is that ONE xray and a 10 min consultation with the doctor came to $3500. You call that just fine?

Look, ACA is a mess and I am not for it, but let's not pretend our current system is roses and sunshine either.

Ok, so I backed off the 'security question' page, re-entered my account name and password and now am being kicked out. Upon trying to login again (after waiting for the system to catch up) the AN/PW is unrecognized...

why don't you give the important information like cost and what are you getting for that cost. I will promise you you are getting less and it will cost you more then befor Obama care and lets not forget that if you had a doctor you seen over the years you might not be able to see him any more or the waiting lines you are going to experience because the ten of thousand dumped into I system that doctors are leaving or refusal to participate

that may be so, I believe it depends on the situation.

Most people have not lost their current coverage though, so I do believe that most peoples lives havent changed a bit. As far as being able to go to a particular doctor, its always been like that, most insurance companies have preferred providers, and unless you go to a preferred provider for that particular policy, you may have to pay more money. but I am pretty sure that if you pay cash for your medical care, like I do (I have a $5000 deductible that I have never used), no doc is going to turn down cash.

Ok, so I backed off the 'security question' page, re-entered my account name and password and now am being kicked out. Upon trying to login again (after waiting for the system to catch up) the AN/PW is unrecognized...

That is so funny.
I wonder if that triggered an email to the IRS to deduct a penalty from your tax return.
That'll teach ya to try to avoid authority.
Did you get to choose your account name and password?

Really? Our current medical system is that ONE xray and a 10 min consultation with the doctor came to $3500. You call that just fine?

And ACA is going to change this how?

Look, ACA is a mess and I am not for it, but let's not pretend our current system is roses and sunshine either.

Look, I realize there are anomalies out there. Some get charged exorbitant rates while others pay little of nothing, always have always will for a multitude of reasons. I also am uncertain of how ACA will work out but am willing to give it a try. The questions I persistently ask folks around me; Anti-aca - If the law works will you EVER be willing to admit that it works? Pro-aca - If the law is unworkable will you EVER be willing to admit that it is a failure?

That is so funny.
I wonder if that triggered an email to the IRS to deduct a penalty from your tax return.
That'll teach ya to try to avoid authority.
Did you get to choose your account name and password?

Won't matter. I retired several years ago and live off my wealth.

And yes I did get to choose my AN/PW

Back
Top Bottom