• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Just saw it on TV here. Everyone at work were going: "...What for? Why?" Not sure if Obama even knows himself. Perhaps this is more because of the level of competition this year? Did everyone else just suck that much?

That's probably the most unsurprising winning of a person in a noble prize.

Congrats to Obama for being the 3rd sitting U.S. president to win the award. :cool:

as a relative of the first female peace prize winner, my congratulation to you President Obama.

as a relative of the first female peace prize winner, my congratulation to you President Obama.
I don't think he'll be reading this.

He didn't do anything, what a joke. Looks like Oslo is under the spell of the Messiah.

For those who are interested in the Nobel Committee's explanation for the decision, one can reference its press release.

Key excerpts:

Obama has as President created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play. Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts. The vision of a world free from nuclear arms has powerfully stimulated disarmament and arms control negotiations. Thanks to Obama's initiative, the USA is now playing a more constructive role in meeting the great climatic challenges the world is confronting. Democracy and human rights are to be strengthened.

Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future.

The Euro-Commies just trying to put their Humpty-Dumpty back together again.

Not surprising, but really nothing to talk about either.

Move along folks.

For those who are interested in the Nobel Committee's explanation for the decision, one can reference its press release.

Key excerpts:

Obama has as President created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play. Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts. The vision of a world free from nuclear arms has powerfully stimulated disarmament and arms control negotiations. Thanks to Obama's initiative, the USA is now playing a more constructive role in meeting the great climatic challenges the world is confronting. Democracy and human rights are to be strengthened.

Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future.
Hope and change = bait and switch

Well the Nobel Prize has become an international joke for years, especially after Gore won it. It reduces the value of the prizes that real achievers once got.

Hope and change = bait and switch

Well the Nobel Prize has become an international joke for years, especially after Gore won it. It reduces the value of the prizes that real achievers once got.
I've read an article about one week ago that stated that Obama would probably be the one to take the prize, as nobody's really made a major move towards peace in the past year.

Key excerpts:

That's not very substantive. Perhaps they should have waited until that approach generated results before tossing out the trophies.

Your relative's prize, based upon the average value of all the recipients, just lost about half its prestige.
not according to my 93 yrs old Mum, she reckons her great aunt Bertha would have been as proud as she is of President Obama:)

not according to my 93 yrs old Mum, she reckons her great aunt Bertha would have been as proud as she is of President Obama:)
You have Austrian blood-ties, Bee El?

That's not very substantive. Perhaps they should have waited until that approach generated results before tossing out the trophies.

I agree with that.

There is no doubt that Obama has been welcomed by the world, and brings a new era to international diplomacy after the last 8 years of Bush. Still, I think this award is premature. I guess maybe it was slim pickins this year.

This takes a lot of the sting away from the Olympics failure. Nice work.

Being awarded this prize is par for the course for Obama. His whole life, he's been praised and exalted for talking. Actually doing something has never been necessary.

It's sad that he was awarded this prestigious prize for talking a big game, but having zero actual accomplishments to point to.

He was in office for about 10 days when he was nominated for this award. I guess he really impressed the five Norwegians on the committee during those ten days.

This is just a new example of the marginalization of the Nobel peace prize. And yes, there were dozens of people that truly deserved this award and could have worked miracles with the money.

I propose a 99% tax on foreign monetary awards.

....wow that's....wow

This may be the most idiotic thing I've ever seen.

"Obama became president and talks to us more. lets give him the nobel prize"

For the love of pete

Congrats to Obama for being the 3rd sitting U.S. president to win the award. :cool:

Tell me how he earned this. I'll wait.

Yeah, Obama deserved this award, Katie Holmes is a fashion icon, Britney Spears is a talented musician & Al Sharpton represents the black community. Good to see actual achievement means so much in this world. :roll:

The Nobel liberal "peace" prize has been given to bigger idiots, and despots. But at least they did "something"...

:lol:

Idiotic

What did your relative win the peace prize for?

What did your relative win the peace prize for?
For being a radical pacifist.
No offense, BLZ.

Of course back then radical pacifism was probably quite different from what it is today.

Back
Top Bottom