• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama waives ban on arming terrorists to allow aid to Syrian opposition.

Yup, that is a stupid Obama move. however, just like with the NSA spying it will be fine for him because the republicans want it and will not fight him on it. They may bitch some but congress will allow it so it becomes bipartisn.

The story is BS, but the MEK is not a terrorist organization in any case.:peace

So you are saying that the MEK isn't a terrorist organization, when it has been listed as such for the past 15 years?

From the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) Website.

The People's Mujahedeen of Iran, more commonly known as the Mujahedeen-e-Khalq or MEK, is listed as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO) by the United States for its killing of U.S. personnel in Iran during the 1970s and its links to Saddam Hussein in the 1980s and 1990s. The U.S. State Department is considering whether to delist the group, a decision expected later this year.

http://www.cfr.org/iran/mujahadeen-e-khalq-mek-aka-peoples-mujahedin-iran-pmoi/p9158

From the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) Website.

The People's Mujahedeen of Iran, more commonly known as the Mujahedeen-e-Khalq or MEK, is listed as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO) by the United States for its killing of U.S. personnel in Iran during the 1970s and its links to Saddam Hussein in the 1980s and 1990s. The U.S. State Department is considering whether to delist the group, a decision expected later this year.

Mujahadeen-e-Khalq (MEK) (aka People's Mujahedin of Iran or PMOI) - Council on Foreign Relations

In all fairness it WAS removed in 2012 from the list (quite controversial from my understanding) Either way it was a recognized group back when Bush is accused of aiding them.

I want to start off by saying that I disagree with President Obamas decision to allow funding. On the other hand I'm just pumped to see the Obama haters come in and level him for the same exact thing that Bush did. It's always fun to be hypocritical!
Well, if you can find a quote by all of the "Obama haters" supporting Bush doing the same thing, you'd have something. If not, you're generalizing based upon the word beside "Lean:" on the left hand side of everyone's post. I, for one, didn't support Bush doing that. Yet, my user name is MarineTpartier. So, I guess that predestines me to be a ultra right wing conservative who screams Murica and loves him some Dubya huh?

President Obama waived a provision of federal law designed to prevent the supply of arms to terrorist groups to clear the way for the U.S. to provide military assistance to "vetted" opposition groups fighting Syrian dictator Bashar Assad.

Some elements of the Syrian opposition are associated with radical Islamic terrorist groups, including al Qaeda, which was responsible for the Sept. 11 attacks in New York, Washington, D.C., and Shanksville, Pa., in 2001. Assad's regime is backed by Iran and Hezbollah.

UPDATED: Obama waives ban on arming terrorists to allow aid to Syrian opposition | WashingtonExaminer.com

Has the man lost his mind? Un-effin-believable! :screwy

Didn't arming random rebels in Afghanistan eventually lead to a 9/11 in our country? Is he so blind to the long-term effects of this kind of policy? The weapons they use in Syria today may be the weapons they use in Washington or Los Angeles tomorrow. Geeeeeez!!

:damn

Last edited:
The only thing that is not completely republican about this move is we know about it.

My god....Obama arms terrorists and you STILL blame republicans. When the hell are you going to start blaming Obama?

In all fairness it WAS removed in 2012 from the list (quite controversial from my understanding) Either way it was a recognized group back when Bush is accused of aiding them.

Well it was used as an example of Bush having done the same thing as Obama has been doing. At any rate, classify groups according to your purpose, kind of like fixing intelligence around your policy.

While the Obama administration is turning U.S. military installations into gun free zones and ordering Marines at 8th & I Barracks to remove the bolts from their rifles, Obama is turning the Middle East into a open carry zone claiming it will bring peace to the Middle East.

The current administration doesn't know if it's coming or going.

Has the man lost his mind? Un-effin-believable! :screwy

Didn't arming rebels end up with a 9/11 in our country? Is he so blind to the long-term effects of this kind of policy? The weapons they use in Syria today may be the weapons they use in Washington or Los Angeles tomorrow. Geeeeeez!!

:damn

No, arming rebels had zero to do with 9/11. Arming the Syrian rebels is in our interest.:peace

No, arming rebels had zero to do with 9/11. Arming the Syrian rebels is in our interest.:peace

Now that's bat **** crazy. They are terrorists that park indiscriminate car bombs outside government buildings, tie people up and shoot them execution style, kill people and eat their hearts, attack Christian villages killing people if they refuse to convert to Islam, kidnap journalists and UN officials and so much more. And, it's not in Syria's or the Syrian people's interest.

Right, I should believe you more than a nationally recognized newspaper just because you say it is "BS".

In all the public discussion about delisting the MEK in the last year, where was the MEK spokesman claiming that the US had supported them?

President Obama waived a provision of federal law designed to prevent the supply of arms to terrorist groups to clear the way for the U.S. to provide military assistance to "vetted" opposition groups fighting Syrian dictator Bashar Assad.

Some elements of the Syrian opposition are associated with radical Islamic terrorist groups, including al Qaeda, which was responsible for the Sept. 11 attacks in New York, Washington, D.C., and Shanksville, Pa., in 2001. Assad's regime is backed by Iran and Hezbollah.

UPDATED: Obama waives ban on arming terrorists to allow aid to Syrian opposition | WashingtonExaminer.com

This is a monumentally bad idea. It will come back to kill some of us, no doubt.

Now that's bat **** crazy. They are terrorists that park indiscriminate car bombs outside government buildings, tie people up and shoot them execution style, kill people and eat their hearts, attack Christian villages killing people if they refuse to convert to Islam, kidnap journalists and UN officials and so much more. And, it's not in Syria's or the Syrian people's interest.

The Asad regime provides a critical supply line to Hezbollah in Lebanon and projects Iran's influence in the Middle East. Destroying that would be a strategic gain for the US. Sunni extremism has no more chance of prevailing in Syria than it did in Egypt.:peace

Why should the US be able to arm terrorists (which is already an insanity that your supporting) half way around the world and project our influence, but Iran should be denied projecting their influence in their own back yard. Oh I know, because we are the global police and we said so by god!

No no, that would be the Obama regime.

And with the same stroke of his pen be bans the re importation of WW II era rifles for collectors, enthusiast and target shooters.

Appalling. Yet I, a citizen with a clean record, have to undergo a background check to buy a revolver. The irony....

you think interfering in the internal affairs of other countries is something obama started?

you seem to be forgetting all the covert action done in the cold war.

No, of course I don't think it's something he started, and it was started long before the Cold War and something I've never liked.

Back
Top Bottom