• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama vows to end homelessness in 10 years

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
WASHINGTON — The Obama administration on Tuesday unveiled an ambitious plan that aspires to end homelessness among some of society's most vulnerable groups within the next decade.

"Opening Doors," a "Federal Strategic Plan to Prevent and End Homelessness," calls for ending child and family homelessness in 10 years while wiping out chronic homelessness and homelessness among veterans in five years.

Look, I am not a cold-hearted person, and I know that homelessness is a problem. But I have problems of my own. So, to the Obama administration, I say this - Not on MY dime.

Article is here.

Another failure medal to pin on Obama's chest. Not to say this can't be done. I just don't think Obama will be the one to accomplish it.

Last edited:
I had a solution for homeless folk too....it was a bullet. Cheap too. But in seriousness, yes homelessness is a problem. There are things we can do to try to prevent it, and in part things like unemployment are for those short stop gaps. There are private charities which help as well, and people should probably volunteer more. But homelessness is most likely never going to be brought down to zero. While there is a lot we can do to help the homeless, but trying to make it zero is stupid. You'll end up wasting a crap load of money and make a lot more government bureaucracy in the process. But maybe that's actually the point.

It would be great to do it, but I do not see how we can afford it right now.

Something like this should be postponed until the economy is doing better and than prioritized against other needs based on funds available.

Last edited:
Homelessness is a problem, but the average person is only homeless for a day. Addressing chronic homelessness is the issue. Studies have been done, and it is more cost efficient to put one person in an 'apartment' with electricity running water etc.. than to pay for a handful to live in a shelter. The chronic homeless are the ones who cost taxpayers hundreds of thousands every year in medical expenses.

"war on poverty, drugs, literacy, blah blah blah" revistited...

Lets see...the 'plan'...increase taxes on the rich, increase federal spending. Brilliant!

That will sell to the pathetic crippled and dependent pets come election time...anything to take away from the dismal failure that was the health care legislation, or the inaction on an oil spill dumping 600000 barrels of oil a day into the gulf, lack of plan in Afghanistan, failure to consider securing the border, an unemployment program that consists of no new jobs (well...except those 400,000 census jobs) but raising the unemployment benefit timelines from 12 mos to 18 mos to 2 years...

throw in a little racism charges...a little bit of its not my fault its all Bush...

Damn...I could run every democrats reelection campaign...

Another failure medal to pin on Obama's chest. Not to say this can't be done. I just don't think Obama will be the one to accomplish it.
Then I'll say it. It can't be done, neither can attaining zero poor people. This is more silliness by academic types who can accept an imperfect world.

Then I'll say it. It can't be done, neither can attaining zero poor people. This is more silliness by academic types who can accept an imperfect world.

I'm going to agree with you. In humanity's entire history, no civilization ended homelessness, nor poverty, nor disease, nor anything else of the same ilk --- nor will we unless we evolve into different beings altogether.

Actually with the glut of homes due to the Barny Frank disaster this goal just might be achievable, if only temporarily. Folks that can't maintain themselves won't be able to maintain their homes regardless of whether they paid for them or not.

Actually with the glut of homes due to the Barny Frank disaster this goal just might be achievable, if only temporarily. Folks that can't maintain themselves won't be able to maintain their homes regardless of whether they paid for them or not.

They could already solve the 'homeless' situation in Detroit...just let them move into those vacant burned out bombed out hulls of house and apartment complex. Who needs running water or electricity...just an old discraded mattress...a cardboard box to set up your kit and a roof over your head while you shoot up...

They could already solve the 'homeless' situation in Detroit...just let them move into those vacant burned out bombed out hulls of house and apartment complex. Who needs running water or electricity...just an old discraded mattress...a cardboard box to set up your kit and a roof over your head while you shoot up...

I was thinking of central Florida where in the last ten years thousands of acres of forest were leveled and condos built. Many of those were purchased sight unseen by buyers speculating the market due to the easy HUD cash. Now most of them are vacant.

This is sort of out of left field, so I'm wondering whether it's a serious priority or simply a lofty goal followed by study groups and committee reports. He can't possibly think that there's any chance of actually ending homelessness.

Back in 2002, Bush announced an effort to reduce chronic homelessness. The program cut the number of chronically homeless from 156k to 111k, but that's not really close to "ending" it. Obama's program will likely end in the same way. It might even be harder if the Bush program picked the low hanging fruit.

I was thinking of central Florida where in the last ten years thousands of acres of forest were leveled and condos built. Many of those were purchased sight unseen by buyers speculating the market due to the easy HUD cash. Now most of them are vacant.

The problem with giving away homes and housing is that it tends to gather a lot of rather desperate people in environments where they easily prey on each other. As a 'solution'...well...it certainly is 'out of sight, out of mind'...but it makes for a miserable living existence not just for the individual but for generations of individuals. It becomes a perpetual nightmare. Roosevelt was smart enough to see it...I dont know why the current generation of politicians isnt. Oh...wait...I do. Roosevelts vision was a hand-up. The modern politician likes those people to remain crippled and dependent voters.

The problem with giving away homes and housing is that it tends to gather a lot of rather desperate people in environments where they easily prey on each other. As a 'solution'...well...it certainly is 'out of sight, out of mind'...but it makes for a miserable living existence not just for the individual but for generations of individuals. It becomes a perpetual nightmare. Roosevelt was smart enough to see it...I dont know why the current generation of politicians isnt. Oh...wait...I do. Roosevelts vision was a hand-up. The modern politician likes those people to remain crippled and dependent voters.
I agree. My post that you quoted is in the context of post 10.

Hang on, sorry but I have to point out some hypocrisy here. I'm not following the whole republican backlash. They don't support Gay marriage or abortion because it conflicts with what is taught in the Holy Bible but somebody proposes a plan on a problem Jesus spent much of his life teaching about. Helping the poor and homeless, so why do you guys throw the Bible out in this instance?

Sure it will cost money but Jesus said if you truly want to go to heaven give away all your belongings and live as a poor man.

Hang on, sorry but I have to point out some hypocrisy here. I'm not following the whole republican backlash. They don't support Gay marriage or abortion because it conflicts with what is taught in the Holy Bible but somebody proposes a plan on a problem Jesus spent much of his life teaching about. Helping the poor and homeless, so why do you guys throw the Bible out in this instance?

Sure it will cost money but Jesus said if you truly want to go to heaven give away all your belongings and live as a poor man.

Jesus taught us to help the poor. Giving stuff away simply creates dependency.

Look, I am not a cold-hearted person, and I know that homelessness is a problem. But I have problems of my own. So, to the Obama administration, I say this - Not on MY dime.

Article is here.

I'd like to rid the world of hippies but that has as much chance of happening as this.

I don't think anyone's saying we're against helping the poor or homeless. Many already do. We're saying that no one can "end homelessness" - even Jesus didn't. Why are we thinking Obama can? It's naivite and silliness. The Bible also teaches about man's free will. If I'm free to be homeless, who is Jesus or Obama to tell me I cannot be?
This is more utopian BS that we're fed all the time. If there was a way to do it, it was have been done by now - OR - Jesus would have done it.

We don't have the money. You're free to give all your belongings away and live poor. Free will.

Did you mean 'who cannot accept an imperfect World'?

I would like to rid the World of Idiotic Politicians, but that would mean there would be no Politicians.
With regards to ridding society of homeless people, yes it can be done by a variety of methods.
But most of these methods would mean that we would no longer have what we call Democracy.
To do it and still be able to call our society 'Democratic' and say this with a straight face and in all honesty is not possible.
So I have to assume in the absence of a 'PLAN' that President Obama is simply posturing.

It is true that Christians who really believe, and don't just pay lip service to their faith, should help the poor. But that doesn't mean that government has any obligation to do so. There is something called separation of church and state that would prevent the government doing it for the reason you are giving.

I'm sure he'll succeed at this....

Right after FDR ends poverty

Reagan ends drug use

Bush ends Terrorism

and Clinton ends interns holding onto stained articles of clothing

You honest to God belive that creating crippled dependent pets and then using them for political power is a loving and caring thing??? Really? Yeah...that welfare thing was a peach.

Providing for others is a humanitarian activity that is actually engaged by many of those Christian people you denigrate. It has nothing to do with republican or democrat.

Back
Top Bottom