• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama Under Fire for Backing Deal to Lift Global Ban on Commercial Whaling

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Link
FOXNews.com - Obama Under Fire for Backing Deal to Lift Global Ban on Commercial Whaling

Quote(Environmentalists, already peeved with the administration’s handling of the Gulf oil spill, are accusing President Obama of breaking his campaign pledge to end the slaughter of whales.

The Obama administration is leading an effort within the International Whaling Commission to lift a 24-year international ban on commercial whaling for Japan, Norway and Iceland, the remaining three countries in the 88-member commission that still hunt whales.)

CHANGE is what was promised and guess what? CHANGE is what we are getting, it is Obama CHANGING his campaign promises.

And because of our misunderstanding of what he meant by CHANGE is no reason for us to castigate him.

Quote(The administration argues that the new deal will save thousands of whales over the next decade by stopping the three countries from illegally exploiting loopholes in the moratorium.)

The above quote seems to me to be remarkably similar to that of saving Million or was it Billions over the next decade?

As much as I'm pissed off about this Jujuman, and believe me I am.

I don't think anywhere in his campaign I heard him talk about Whales...

Same here. I didn't hear anything about this during his campaign.

But why in the hell would Obama support this??

My guess is Japan is blackmailing Obama since they hold so much U.S. debt.

No one in their right mind would support an end to the whaling ban.

I'm surprised that his logic and argument state that removing the ban will result in less whale deaths...

Maybe I am mistaken but I thought he did mention the obesity of our couch potatoes.

Link
FOXNews.com - Obama Under Fire for Backing Deal to Lift Global Ban on Commercial Whaling

Quote(Environmentalists, already peeved with the administration’s handling of the Gulf oil spill, are accusing President Obama of breaking his campaign pledge to end the slaughter of whales.

The Obama administration is leading an effort within the International Whaling Commission to lift a 24-year international ban on commercial whaling for Japan, Norway and Iceland, the remaining three countries in the 88-member commission that still hunt whales.)

CHANGE is what was promised and guess what? CHANGE is what we are getting, it is Obama CHANGING his campaign promises.

And because of our misunderstanding of what he meant by CHANGE is no reason for us to castigate him.

Quote(The administration argues that the new deal will save thousands of whales over the next decade by stopping the three countries from illegally exploiting loopholes in the moratorium.)

The above quote seems to me to be remarkably similar to that of saving Million or was it Billions over the next decade?

Obama has done a great job of keeping campaign promises; According to PolitiFact | The Obameter: Tracking Barack Obama's Campaign Promises he has kept around 9 campaign promises to every 1 that he's broken, that's pretty damn good.

Thats true but this move really is surprising.

As much of a heartless right winger that I am, this saddens me.

And I don't buy his or whoever wrote that speech's logic that less will be killed.

Thats true but this move really is surprising.

As much of a heartless right winger that I am, this saddens me.

And I don't buy his or whoever wrote that speech's logic that less will be killed.

Well, Obama did something, so obviously you'd be upset ;)

I would. What's the purpose of the ban in the 1st place, and how can you actually enforce any of these "international laws" anyway?

Is this some kind of sick joke? Who the hell in America eats wale anyway? Like 0.2% of the population? Really worth legalizing (two sides of the argument but make this legal and bored people kill Wale for the sake of it and you'd be amazed, they do. Or independent scientific organization kill them for "research". Who the hell cares? Try making something constructive like defeating cancer).

Last edited:
Well, Obama did something, so obviously you'd be upset ;)

I guess you missed the part where I said I was surprised he did this. :roll:

So you aren't upset at Obama for supporting legalizing Whaling?

BTW, having disclosed on your lean is about as convincing as Charlie Sheen making a vow of chastity. ;)

Last edited:
SURELY you are not presenting "politifact" as an objective news source??!!?

The American Spectator : PolitiFact's Fixers

You're right, and The American Spectator is COMPLETELY fair and objective; I mean, it's not like Fox's managing editor is a major contributor to the American Spectator. Do you really think the American Spectator isn't Conservative?

Lets take a look at Politifact's resume:
-6 time Pulitzer Prize winner
-13 time Pulitzer Prize finalist

Is this some kind of sick joke? Who the hell in America eats wale anyway? Like 0.2% of the population? Really worth legalizing (two sides of the argument but make this legal and bored people kill Wale for the sake of it and you'd be amazed, they do.
Your point is what? I don't see what the big deal is with whales. And if nobody here eats them anyway, then why bother banning it? As for killing them just for fun, I doubt that anyone goes through that trouble.

Or independent scientific organization kill them for "research". Who the hell cares? Try making something constructive like defeating cancer).
I don't see what's wrong with killing whales for scientific research.

And my main point is that "international laws" are bogus. Period.

Is this some kind of sick joke? Who the hell in America eats wale anyway? Like 0.2% of the population? Really worth legalizing (two sides of the argument but make this legal and bored people kill Wale for the sake of it and you'd be amazed, they do. Or independent scientific organization kill them for "research". Who the hell cares? Try making something constructive like defeating cancer).

I have no idea who eat wale, in fact I do not know what wale or a wale actually is, perhaps Metal gear would be kind enough to explain what is a wale ?

As long as the whaling is done in a manner which does not threaten the continued existence of the species I don't actually have a problem with this. Why do whales get special treatment anyways? Because they're smarter than most animals? Its not like cows or chickens want to be slaughtered either. Heck, even plants if they could talk would not want to be killed and eaten. Are we supposed to believe that less intelligence means that its more morally acceptable to kill and eat something? Let's test that then. Let's say that cannibalism of the mentally retarded should be allowed because they aren't as smart as the rest of us. Would anyone in their right mind find that even remotely acceptable? I should really hope not.

So long as the species aren't threatened let people use and exploit whales for commercial purposes. If no one outside Japan buys it fine, just don't pretend that Westerners wholesale slaughter of numerous animals is better than Japan killing a few whales.

As long as the whaling is done in a manner which does not threaten the continued existence of the species I don't actually have a problem with this. Why do whales get special treatment anyways? Because they're smarter than most animals? Its not like cows or chickens want to be slaughtered either. Heck, even plants if they could talk would not want to be killed and eaten. Are we supposed to believe that less intelligence means that its more morally acceptable to kill and eat something? Let's test that then. Let's say that cannibalism of the mentally retarded should be allowed because they aren't as smart as the rest of us. Would anyone in their right mind find that even remotely acceptable? I should really hope not.

So long as the species aren't threatened let people use and exploit whales for commercial purposes. If no one outside Japan buys it fine, just don't pretend that Westerners wholesale slaughter of numerous animals is better than Japan killing a few whales.

I agree with this, as long as the species is not endangered I have no problem with whaling. Why are they more special than any other animal we eat?

Same here. I didn't hear anything about this during his campaign.

But why in the hell would Obama support this??

My guess is Japan is blackmailing Obama since they hold so much U.S. debt.

If you know anything about the IWC (and I'm not saying I'm an expert, but I did some reading after I saw THE COVE), then you'd know that Japan has bought off the organization.

Right now, the IWC ban includes the scientific loophole with Japan uses to kill about 1,200 whales a year. Iceland and Norway flout the ban to hunt about another 700. This doesn't include the very few whale hunted by indigenous peoples in the US and Canada (likely a couple dozen, if that).

The hope of the compromise is to lift the ban but set limits that would be lower than the current 1,900 or so a year that are being killed.

Since these three nations already flout the ban, I have little confidence that they would follow limits either.

But it's not like we're going to bomb Japan, Iceland (whose defense we're technically still responsible for), or Norway. And a trade ban on Japan would be highly impractical.

This is honestly a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation - because without the compromise, the IWC likely completely falls apart and then all hell really would break loose.

Back
Top Bottom