• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama to sign bill approving $600m for border security

BDBoop

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Obama to sign bill approving $600 million for border security - CNN.com

Washington (CNN) -- President Obama will sign a bill Friday that provides $600 million in emergency funding to help secure the U.S.-Mexico border.

A day earlier, two senators -- Democrats Charles Schumer of New York and Ben Cardin of Maryland -- returned from their August recess to give the chamber's approval for the bill.

The House of Representatives had already approved the measure.

Re: Obama to sign bill $600m for patrolling US border

I completely approve of better patrols on our southwest border, but shouldn't we bring the troops home so we can pay for it?

I completely approve of better patrols on our southwest border, but shouldn't we bring the troops home so we can pay for it?

I dare to dream.

I hope its for actual boots on the ground and not office or administrative jobs or for the national guard to do the same **** the minutemen were already doing for free.

What did the national guard do when they were on the border? Put up fence,act as spotters for the border patrol and had no authority to arrest,detain or prevent illegal crossing. In otherwords they were paid minutemen. So wouldn't they have regular troops on the border acting as paid minutemen too? What the minutemen is doing is fine for a volunteer force that we the tax payers are not paying for, but if we are going to pay for it shouldn't the military have the same authority to arrest or detain illegal crossers and or prevent illegal crossing?

Last edited:

If this bill will truly help border security then I can agree with this. I fear it's just a political ploy though and is probably very weak legislation.

If this bill will truly help border security then I can agree with this. I fear it's just a political ploy though and is probably very weak legislation.

I believe its another one those "use this money to make it look like your doing something but don't actually do anything" ploys meant to con the public so weeks or months later they can claim they tried and how we need amnesty.

I believe its another one those "use this money to make it look like your doing something but don't actually do anything" ploys meant to con the public so weeks or months later they can claim they tried and how we need amnesty.

I wouldn't put it past him. I mean, the guy does sue states that dare attempt at helping the government enforce border security. I won't judge the bill until I know what's in it. But lately the Democrat party has been labeling bills as "helping the poor" or "creating job" that really don't help the poor or create jobs at all. It's all politics and no substance.

I agree with this legislation, it is working to put more law enforcement on the ground and improve the technologies at their disposal. This will definitely help combat border crime and is long overdue.

All I've been able to dig up thus far is "The bill will pay for 1,500 additional Border Patrol agents, a cadre that Schumer described as a "strike force" for counter narcotic and countertrafficking operations. It will also increase drones to provide real time information to authorities about illegal crossings, beef up communication between federal agents and local police, provide money to construct "forward operating bases" for Border Patrol agents to detain people along the border, and pay for additional ATF, FBI and other agents to target drug and human trafficking rings. "

John McCain, Jon Kyl Say New Border Bill Isn't Enough

you could probably build a pretty good Papier-mâché wall with $600000000.

Is Obama trying to keep them out, or help them get in?

Is Obama trying to keep them out, or help them get in?

Cracks me right up when people try so hard to take a shot that they wind up looking dim.

why is obama suing the people of arizona for doing for him his job which for 2 years he has refused to do?

do you really believe this piddly little pre-election photo-op is gonna, or is even intended to, solve the border?

if the people of arizona are compelled to abide by obama's one-plan-fits-all, comprehensive approach to immigration, why does he turn a wilfully blind eye to our dozens of SANCTUARY CITIES who, unlike ms brewer, stand in open contravention of the spirit even of federal law covering those found here illegally?

the problem is---the people obama keeps picking to manage these programs are not reliable

the UNION representing 7000 federal ice employees wrote a UNANIMOUS, 259-0, letter of NO CONFIDENCE in ice director john morton in june

Head of ICE receives unanimous no-confidence vote from own agents...accused of de facto amnesty - National Immigration reform | Examiner.com

the union charges the director with "misrepresenting dangers posed by criminal aliens, turning detainment centers into resorts where illegal aliens are allowed to roam free, no longer subject to searches, and creating a DE FACTO AMNESTY in lieu of enforcement"

from the "Vote of No Confidence in ICE Director John Morton:"

“While ICE reports internally that more than 90 percent of ICE detainees are first encountered in jails after they are arrested by local police for criminal charges, ICE senior leadership misrepresents this information publicly in order to portray ICE detainees as being non-criminal in nature to support the Administration's position on amnesty and relaxed security at ICE detention facilities.

The majority of ICE ERO Officers are prohibited from making street arrests or enforcing United States immigration laws outside of the institutional (jail) setting. This has effectively created "amnesty through policy" for anyone illegally in the United States who has not been arrested by another agency for a criminal violation.”

“ICE Detention Reforms have transformed into a detention system aimed at providing resort like living conditions to criminal aliens. Senior ICE leadership excluded ICE officers and field managers (the technical experts on ICE detention) from the development of these reforms, and instead solicited recommendations from special interest groups. The lack of technical expertise and field expertise has resulted in a priority of providing bingo nights, dance lessons and hanging plants to criminals, instead of addressing safe and responsible detention reforms for non-criminal individuals and families. Unlike any other agency in the nation, ICE officers will be prevented from searching detainees housed in ICE facilities allowing weapons, drugs and other contraband into detention centers putting detainees, ICE officers and contract guards at risk.”

I wouldn't put it past him. I mean, the guy does sue states that dare attempt at helping the government enforce border security. I won't judge the bill until I know what's in it. But lately the Democrat party has been labeling bills as "helping the poor" or "creating job" that really don't help the poor or create jobs at all. It's all politics and no substance.

it doesn't matter what obama does or does not do, people like you are never happy. great.

it doesn't matter what obama does or does not do, people like you are never happy. great.

Yup. It is what it is.

Prof,

I wonder where all the criticism was when GWBush did very little about illegal immigration when boarder security was of vital importance in a post-9/11 America?

I wonder why there was little focus on protecting our southwester boarder when it's been very well known that Mexicans were entering this country illegally and you had reports that Al-Quaida operatives looking at coming into the U.S. via Mexico? Could it be that the only published reports to the public were of those operatives who tried to come through Canada instead that garnered the most media attention and we have stronger economic and national security ties with our northern neighbor than we do with our southern one?

The hypocricy that stems from this illegal immigration issue is just unfathomable!!!

Protect our norther boarder from one or two known terrorist who the media reported on after 9/11, but do very little about the biggest gapping whole anyone w/enough money who looks "Mexican" can come through nearly at will.

Scare the public about dirty bombs in cargo shipping containers at nearly every one of our customs ports, but do little to nothing about making them more secure.

(Republicans) Make such a big stink about illegals gaining U.S. citizenship, i.e., the 14th Amendment argument, but are quick to condemn any effort to shore up boarder security by this President.

You guys are a riot!!! You'll complain about anything so long as in your minds it makes you look good to your voters. Un-freakin-believable!!! :doh

Prof,

I wonder where all the criticism was when GWBush did very little about illegal immigration when boarder security was of vital importance in a post-9/11 America?

I wonder why there was little focus on protecting our southwester boarder when it's been very well known that Mexicans were entering this country illegally and you had reports that Al-Quaida operatives looking at coming into the U.S. via Mexico? Could it be that the only published reports to the public were of those operatives who tried to come through Canada instead that garnered the most media attention and we have stronger economic and national security ties with our northern neighbor than we do with our southern one?

The hypocricy that stems from this illegal immigration issue is just unfathomable!!!

Protect our norther boarder from one or two known terrorist who the media reported on after 9/11, but do very little about the biggest gapping whole anyone w/enough money who looks "Mexican" can come through nearly at will.

Scare the public about dirty bombs in cargo shipping containers at nearly every one of our customs ports, but do little to nothing about making them more secure.

(Republicans) Make such a big stink about illegals gaining U.S. citizenship, i.e., the 14th Amendment argument, but are quick to condemn any effort to shore up boarder security by this President.

You guys are a riot!!! You'll complain about anything so long as in your minds it makes you look good to your voters. Un-freakin-believable!!! :doh

If you have any of my posts regarding illegals, you would find that it was stated more than one that the problem is not just Obama. Bush, Clinton, et.al, did nothing to solve the issue. It is almost funny anymore when I see " wonder where all the criticism was when GWBush did very little about illegal immigration.", Because the outcry was very loud when GWB did nothing, are you saying we should not be critical of Obama? Good grief!. If that is you strongest objection, its time to move on.

Being from AZ when I see results I will give credit to those that deserve it. Tell why Obama is suing AZ over our employer santion bill that was signed by Janet N when govenor? It targets those that hire illegals. Why is Obama suing AZ over 1070 which could help the feds?

Not spending a trillion dollars on the porkulus package, nor 26 billion for a union bailout, would have been a better idea.

Prof,

Perhaps you were smoking pot the whole time during Bush's presidency but Bush did receive criticism for doing very little to secure the border.Especially when the minutemen brought the issue to the light of day. He also got a lot of **** for trying grant amnesty to illegals.

Lets see why Obama is receiving criticisms and doubts.

1. He had the AG sue Arizona for enforcing anti-illegal immigration laws that mirror federal law.

2.Just like Bush he sent the national guard to the border with no authority to detain or arrest illegal crossers, nor did they have any authority to prevent illegal crossing.

3.Just like Bush, McCain(McCain is facing reelection so he is pretending that he is not a pro-illegal) and the late Kennedy who tried to pass the last amnesty, Obama is a pro-illegal.

The border has been utterly ignored since Reagan and his amnesty program when there were only 2 million illegals in the country. However, Regan's promise to secure the border was broken, and at the word "amnesty" the flood started and hasn't stopped yet. We've been told for the past 10 years that there were "12 million illegals" in the USA, and they come at between 1-2 million per year. That means that at a minimum we have 22 million illegals here now.

George Bush Sr.'s administration did nothing of substance on border/immigration issues. Nor did Clinton's administration, or George W. Bush's administration. All of them wanted the hispanic vote more than they wanted secure borders. Well, now we're paying the price, billions upon billions in education, medical, welfare costs, lost taxes and lost jobs.

Obama just got here. Fair enough, I didn't vote for the guy and I do not trust the gleam in his eye when he says "immigration reform", but it's ludicrous to lay this decades-old debacle at his feet.

all the more reason NOT to sue arizona

rather, he should be ASSISTING

and, again, why doesn't doj go after SANCTUARY CITIES?

Back
Top Bottom