• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama to serve Gulf seafood at birthday bash: aide

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
WASHINGTON — US President Barack Obama is confident in the quality of Gulf of Mexico seafood despite the BP oil spill and will serve some at a party Sunday to mark his 49th birthday, a top aide said.

Ladies and gentlemen. I present to you America's first glow-in-the-dark president. Another barrier down. It's great to live in America. But please, don't ask him any questions that are complicated. :mrgreen:

Article is here.

Good for him. That should be a real boost for the fishermen of Louisiana, don't you think?

Unless, of course, one of his guests comes down with some sort of poisoning. That would be bad.

Last edited:
Most of Louisiana is still off-limits to fishing, at least near shore. Gulf seafood these days is being fished in Florida and Texas. And it tastes fantastic.

We just grilled red grouper and extra-large shrimp straight of the gulf on the barbecue just the other night.

You can see the no-fish zone in this article: NOAA releases reduced no fish zone map

How wrong could you be? Most of the affected areas south of Venice have been opened up to sport and recreational fishing.

Cameron, in southwest Louisiana, was never affected. I was at the ELI Dock, Friday and saw the parade of boats going out the Calcasieu River for the celebration of the opening of shrimp season.

This crisis just didn't cooperate nearly enough, for the Libbos's likeing.

How wrong could you be? Most of the affected areas south of Venice have been opened up to sport and recreational fishing.

Cameron, in southwest Louisiana, was never affected. I was at the ELI Dock, Friday and saw the parade of boats going out the Calcasieu River for the celebration of the opening of shrimp season.

This crisis just didn't cooperate nearly enough, for the Libbos's likeing.

I'm confused why you think liberals would want this to go on for any longer.

Because liberals are responsible for everything that pisses Apdst off.

Also, I should note, I posted a link to the current map, which shows that most of Louisiana is off limits. Apparently, Apdst is map-challenged.

Last edited:

Out of work fishermen were the justification for the drilling moratoium. All we heard for three months, is that it's going to take, "decades", for the GOM to get back to normal. "The oil and gas industry has to pay!", was what we heard.

Now, the shrimpers are going to back to wortk after only a few weeks, killing any justification for a drilling ban.

"Never let a crisis go to waste".

Also, I should note, I posted a link to the current map, which shows that most of Louisiana is off limits. Apparently, Apdst is map-challenged.

Your link also tells about how the no-fish zone has been reduced. Looks like I'm not the only that is challenged.

Your link also tells about how the no-fish zone has been reduced. Looks like I'm not the only that is challenged.

That's indeed true. The no-fish zone has been reduced from the much larger black line to the much smaller red line, which still encompasses the bulk of Louisiana. Which you'd realize, if you'd read the article.

:roll:

Out of work fishermen were the justification for the drilling moratoium. All we heard for three months, is that it's going to take, "decades", for the GOM to get back to normal. "The oil and gas industry has to pay!", was what we heard.

Now, the shrimpers are going to back to wortk after only a few weeks, killing any justification for a drilling ban.

We don't know what the longterm effects of this spill will be, or where all the oil has gone. And, the drilling moratorium wasn't about ****ing shrimpers, it was about a deepwater well that didn't have a failsafe to shut the damn thing off in a worst case scenario. They've plugged this well, sure, but has the problem of shutting the damn things off before they vomit a hundred million gallons of oil into the gulf been solved?

NO. It hasn't.

Your posts are so damn stupid and full of errors, it's sad.

We don't know what the longterm effects of this spill will be, or where all the oil has gone. And, the drilling moratorium wasn't about ****ing shrimpers, it was about a deepwater well that didn't have a failsafe to shut the damn thing off in a worst case scenario. They've plugged this well, sure, but has the problem of shutting the damn things off before they vomit a hundred million gallons of oil into the gulf been solved?

If finding out to make deepwater drilling safer is the goal, then why does Obama's commission on deepwater drilling have more treehuggers than industry experts? Not a single petroleum engineer sits on that commission.

But, oh yes, we couldn't re-start drilling, because all those shrimpers were out of work. Why, Obama said himself, that he was halting drilling, for our own good, so no more rig hands got killed.

The gloom-n-doom just isn't working for the Leftists, this time.

If finding out to make deepwater drilling safer is the goal, then why does Obama's commission on deepwater drilling have more treehuggers than industry experts? Not a single petroleum engineer sits on that commission.

But, oh yes, we couldn't re-start drilling, because all those shrimpers were out of work. Why, Obama said himself, that he was halting drilling, for our own good, so no more rig hands got killed.

The gloom-n-doom just isn't working for the Leftists, this time.

I've seen this post before, and it hasn't gotten any better by being rehashed.

I consider myself pretty conservative and pretty environmental minded...I too was pretty critical of their operations and thought (and still do) that this is an environemntal nightmare. If what we were told is true (and what we saw on camera), then somewhere on the order of 72 THOUSAND barrels of oil a day went SOMEWHERE...now...maybe its just a big oil ball under the surface, or maybe the dispersant was much more effective than anyone dreamed...but it was certainly a nightmare.

I object to the moratorium on drilling on LAND. I dont like that they force them to do deepwater drilling. And if they are going to deepwater drill then they OUGHT to ensure the same thing cant happen again before they commence with the licenses and deep water permits.

I consider myself pretty conservative and pretty environmental minded...I too was pretty critical of their operations and thought (and still do) that this is an environemntal nightmare. If what we were told is true (and what we saw on camera), then somewhere on the order of 72 THOUSAND barrels of oil a day went SOMEWHERE...now...maybe its just a big oil ball under the surface, or maybe the dispersant was much more effective than anyone dreamed...but it was certainly a nightmare.

I object to the moratorium on drilling on LAND. I dont like that they force them to do deepwater drilling. And if they are going to deepwater drill then they OUGHT to ensure the same thing cant happen again before they commence with the licenses and deep water permits.

Not to mention we don't know the full effects of that much dispersant being released into the water.

The herring fishery off the coast of Alaska dies off four years after the Exxon spill.

The effects of this won't be known for quite some time. If certain fish populations saw their offspring not hatch or mature, we could be talking about populations dying off in a few years instead of now.

The nightmare isn't over. by any means. The immediate effects may be passing, but that doesn't mean we know the long-term effects.

I don't have a problem with drilling on land. I have a huge problem with deepwater drilling.

And this isn't over, not by a long stretch. We have no idea what the effects of all of these chemicals in the gulf will be.

Oiled crabs stoke fears spill is tainting food web - Yahoo! News

My wife is an author...its not her genre but I keep trying to get her to write a story about mutated creatures from the gulf coast, apocolyptic doomsday scenarios where people eat the mutated sea critters and mutate themselves, a giant rolling undersea ball of tar/oil that randomly causes damage to vessels, etc...

Ladies and gentlemen. I present to you America's first glow-in-the-dark president. Another barrier down. It's great to live in America. But please, don't ask him any questions that are complicated. :mrgreen:

Article is here.

It think it should be - They got the word "serve" mixed up with the word "display", At the birthday bash they are displaying all five shrimps, 6 oysters and 4 groupers that survived the oil spill.:mrgreen:

It think it should be - They got the word "serve" mixed up with the word "display", At the birthday bash they are displaying all five shrimps, 6 oysters and 4 groupers that survived the oil spill.:mrgreen:

How about that - Ornamental fish. Thank God the Gulf is still producing something of value. :mrgreen:

How about that - Ornamental fish. Thank God the Gulf is still producing something of value. :mrgreen:

Or "Gulf seafood being served as rare delicacies at the birthday bash".

Nope, he's right. There have been local news stories backing apsdt. And I personally know people fishing in those spots on that map legally. He's right.

It's kind of funny though that no one mentions the dead zone created by nitrate runoff from the more northern states. The same dead zone responsible for multiple thousands more dead sea creatures than this oil spill, those poor porpoises, rays, and other creatures I used to find washed up all the time in Cameron parish........tsk, tsk.

It's kind of funny though that no one mentions the dead zone created by nitrate runoff from the more northern states. The same dead zone responsible for multiple thousands more dead sea creatures than this oil spill, those poor porpoises, rays, and other creatures I used to find washed up all the time in Cameron parish........tsk, tsk.

Oh, were there a thread about it, I'd mention it.

I'm as against subsidies for gigantic corporate farms as I am dee-sea drilling.

Oh, were there a thread about it, I'd mention it.

I'm as against subsidies for gigantic corporate farms as I am dee-sea drilling.
Well, the zone has killed more sea life than the oil and there was no thread. Kind of says something was my point.

Well, the zone has killed more sea life than the oil and there was no thread. Kind of says something was my point.

Can't beat up Big Oil, or shut down oil and gas jobs, with a thread like that.

Was there a thread about the million gallons of oil spilled into the Kalamazoo river, by a Canadian company? Oh, wait, that's importe oil. We can shut down drilling our own oil, but we have to be careful when ****ing with the imports.

Back
Top Bottom