• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama to high school grads: 'Don't make excuses'

President Barack Obama is telling high school graduates in Michigan not to make excuses, and to take responsibility for failures as well as successes.

In excerpts of remarks to be delivered Monday evening at Kalamazoo Central High School, Obama said that it's easy to blame others when problems arise. "We see it every day out in Washington, with folks calling each other names and making all sorts of accusations on TV," the president said.

Good to see that even when Obama makes a positive use of the bully pulpit, people will still find something to whine about.

Maybe he's a hypocrite on this one but you could at least acknowledge what he said is right.

Good to see that even when Obama makes a positive use of the bully pulpit, people will still find something to whine about.

Good to see his cheer leading squad defending him too.

I hope those Highschoolers were politically aware enough to snicker at him making THAT comment.

Maybe he's a hypocrite on this one but you could at least acknowledge what he said is right.

John Edwards could give a speech on how it's best to keep your vows in a Marriage. And it'd be just the same as here. A time to laugh at the speaker.

Why are you people so easy to let people like Obama play the "Do as I say, not as I do" routine??

The point is, PBO should be setting a better example vice blaming his problems on everyone else. Is that really a positive use of the bully pulpit, or is it hypocrisy. The term, "lead by example", suddenly comes to mind.

Like I said, perhaps it makes him a hypocrite. But I'm assuming you agree with his statement that one shouldn't make excuses for themselves and take responsibility. Therefore shouldn't we also laugh at you for being a hypocrite? Its literally impossible for an individual to not have at one point blamed someone else for someone which happened to them. Now I say there are bigger issues on which to call Obama out on, certainly bigger than telling some high school grads to take charge of their futures.

I applaud his words. He has the mantle of power and is using it to convey a positive and realistic message to children.

Good to see his cheer leading squad defending him too.

I hope those Highschoolers were politically aware enough to snicker at him making THAT comment.

I am defending the message, clearly. Are you saying it is a poor message?

I'm saying that it's a piss poor messanger. It would be like the grand dragon of the KKK giving a speech about the importance of racial diversity.

I'm saying that it's a piss poor messanger. It would be like the grand dragon of the KKK giving a speech about the importance of racial diversity.

What this thread needs is some over the top hyperbole. Thank you for supplying that.

What this thread needs is some over the top hyperbole. Thank you for supplying that.

If you don't have a real retort, then just say so. Keep the blinders on. They seem to be working for you.

Considering the messenger, yes I am.

"Do as he says children, not as he does..." That's you Redress.
The message is important, the messenger also. If the messenger does not follow his own advice, how can you expect the listener to accept the message??

If you don't have a real retort, then just say so. Keep the blinders on. They seem to be working for you.

I think you're wrong because the difference between action and words is far greater and far more important with the Grand Wizard than with Obama, in my opinion. Saying take responsibility, but still blaming people for things every now and then is something we all do, being the leader of a racist organization and preaching tolerance is something a little rarer. I suppose, I mean did you really think it was a good hyberbole.

While the message may be positive, the person giving it hasn't the credibility to do so - a completely valid point.

Funny, I lost count of the number of times President Obama embraced the Truman 'doctrine' of "The Buck Stop Here." by saying the words: "I take full responsibility for this" or "this was my fault." I'm sure the hyper-partisans believe he was being disingenuous with all those instances, but his actions say otherwise, IMO.

I can't seem to remember W. ever saying that.

Obama's willingness to actually carry the burden of this office and take responsibility for various shortcomings is impressive.

Were the previous POTUS to say that at a graduation, you might have a point.

Considering the messenger, yes I am.

"Do as he says children, not as he does..." That's you Redress.
The message is important, the messenger also. If the messenger does not follow his own advice, how can you expect the listener to accept the message??

But in the case of President Obama, he has done just that. He, unlike his predecessor, has stepped up and taken responsibility for many things: "I take full responsibility for..."

W. never did that once.

It drives the GOP crazy when President Obama puts the debt in perspective using those pesky facts and dates to correct their misstatements...

But this President, is the first one in long while to embrace the Truman idea of "The Buck Stops Here."

But in the case of President Obama, he has done just that. He, unlike his predecessor, has stepped up and taken responsibility for many things: "I take full responsibility for..."

W. never did that once.

It drives the GOP crazy when President Obama puts the debt in perspective using those pesky facts and dates to correct their misstatements...

But this President, is the first one in long while to embrace the Truman idea of "The Buck Stops Here."

Spare us Hazel. There hasn't been a president who shirks more responsibility than Obama.

I have never ever seen a president who blames his predecessor more.

Spare us Hazel. There hasn't been a president who shirks more responsibility than Obama.

That's because there's never been a president with such a crappy predecessor.

You say blame, I say context and perspective...

I challenge you to find one instance of W. uttering the words: "I take full responsibility for..." (when he's talking about a mistake or shortcoming)

You say blame, I say context and perspective...

I challenge you to find one instance of W. uttering the words: "I take full responsibility for..." (when he's talking about a mistake or shortcoming)

That makes it ok for Obama to be a complete dud?

W. never did that once.

I believe your own words apply here:

Spin, baby, spin...

Back
Top Bottom