• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama Threatens Congress He'll Legalize 22-23 Million Illegal Aliens

Ontologuy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Today President Obama went on national TV and, once again, threatened Congress that if they don't legislate what he wants, he'll legislate it for them: Obama defends plan to act on immigration: CBS interview

U.S. President Barack Obama defended his plan
"Defended his plan"??? Don't you mean threatened! Geez -- why can't the media stop this PC crap and talk straight with us!

to use executive powers to implement some immigration reforms
"Immigration Reform" -- another PC-speak for legalization of illegal alien criminals.

saying in an interview broadcast on Sunday he had waited long enough for Congress to act.
Meaning he now knows that with the Republicans in charge of both Houses of Congress, they won't include his compensatory apologetic to his political party for costing them the Senate: his legacy of legalizing 22-23 million "undocumented Democrats".

Newsflash, Mr. President: unless you declare a state of emergency, you simply do have to wait for Congress to act according to the wishes of the voters who voted Congress in, and you don't get to decide the what or the when of it, not according to the Constitution, you don't .. you do remember the constitution, don't you, Mr. President .. don't you ...

Obama told congressional leaders on Friday he would try to ease some restrictions on undocumented immigrants
Meaning he would grant 22-23 million illegal aliens, who simply are not "immigrants", legal authority to keep the jobs and living space and classrooms etc. they stole from his fellow American citizens. Sounds rather treasonous to me, Mr. President.

Obama said he had told Boehner if he could not get it done by the end of the year, the White House was going to have to take steps to improve the system.
A threat; clearly, a threat! I think the President has a thing for Mr. Boehner. Regardless, what's this "improve the system" he's referring to? There's nothing wrong with "the system" a little enforcement of its rules wouldn't "fix"!

"Everybody agrees the immigration system's broken. And we've been talking about it for years now in terms of fixing it," Obama said in the interview, according to a CBS transcript.
Yeah but, Mr. President, the "immigration system" isn't the issue -- it's the criminal justice system that's the problem, your attorney general's department and law enforcement personnel who simply aren't doing their job. You don't need any "executive order" to do your job, do you, Mr. President, your job of enforcing U.S. law and doing every efficient and cost-effective thing to get the criminals to give back their stolen booty?

And, Mr. President, who's this "everybody"? From what I've read for years now, the great majority of Americans don't think the "immigration" system is broken? They don't even think it's about immigration, Mr. President. They think it's about politics .. and that's all. They think politics is the reason illegal aliens were never addressed and aren't being addressed and their crimes against American citizens aren't being addressed and American citizens aren't receiving restitution for their losses.

The only thing that's "broken", Mr. President, is the department of justice if political pandering trumps it. That's truly sad, Mr. President. Might you have an executive order to fix that, Sir?

U.S. borders needed to be secure, the legal immigration system needed to be more efficient
The borders need to be secure? Oh God, is that ever true! But you have the authority to do that now, don't you, Mr. President? I believe so! So, just do it! What's stopping you?! Oh, you don't want to turn off the flood of "undocumented Democrats"? I see.

The legal immigration system needs to be more efficient? Huh? What about it is so inefficient .. and so inefficient that a big ol' executive order is required to make it more efficient? Is this a state of emergency, or something? If so, why haven't you declared a state of emergency???

And again, what does "immigration" have to do with anything here -- isn't this just a matter of enforcing U.S. law against trespassing, identity forging, and jobs, living space, classroom, and other American citizen's possessions stealing? What does that have anything whatsoever to do with "immigration"? It's as if you're saying that if people can come here to steal our possessions, they can just call themselves "immigrants" and that makes it "okay". That's a cognitive disconnect for sure!

And, again, why do millions of criminals get to hold us hostage to making changes to our laws? Is there not something wrong about that? Aren't you just paying a ransom here, Mr. President?

and there needed to be a path to legal status for the 11 million undocumented immigrants. "We don't have the capacity to deport 11 million people
Okay, Mr. President, this makes no sense whatsoever!

First of all, what's this "11 million" figure you keep erroneously repeating??? Everyone knows the total amount of illegal aliens is around 22-23 million people! Are you purposely lying here, Mr. President? One would think you, of all people, would have the security information facts on this matter? Clearly you're not saying you simply don't know what the accurate figure is, Mr. President? Are you purposely misleading America, Mr. President, purposely trying to sell your "plan" to the American public by saying "oh, it's not all that many"?

You know, Mr. President, you'd do well to avoid issuing any green cards or work permits or whatever you're thinking of doing without first recounting for an accurate headcount yourself. We all know your "census" didn't come anywhere close to getting an accurate count, as illegal aliens don't respond to branches of government they fear will just get them deported. Don't want to have people waiting in line and be out of cards, now, do you?

And what's this "undocumented immigrants" distortion phrase you keep using? Isn't that just PC speak for illegal aliens?

Now I know the only way these illegal aliens can steal American citizens jobs, living space, classrooms and all is for them to actually come here and live here to keep their stolen booty, but isn't that just a bit of a cognitive distortion to call these criminals "undocumented immigrants"?

I would think so, Mr. President. But, then again, I'm not under the delusion that I need to add 22-23 million eventual voting Democrats to my party's registrations.

You seem to feel sorry for these criminals, Mr. President. But you show no sorrow for the millions of Americans their crimes harmed! Isn't that just a bit of a rather treasonous emotional disconnect on your part, Mr. President? I would think so.

-- everybody agrees on that," he said.
Yeah .. no sir, they simply don't. You know, Mr. President, now that your D.C. city has legalized pot, I just have to ask: have you been smokin' something? I mean, you're just completely out of touch!

Obama insisted he was not telling Republicans they had run out of time or trying to circumvent them.
Oh no, not at all. Perish the thought.

"The minute they pass a bill that addresses the problems with immigration reform, I will sign it and it supersedes whatever actions I take," Obama said in the interview.
Really, Mr. President? Really? What if "in your eyes" Congress doesn't do "enough" .. or don't do it "right" .. or it doesn't include legalizing 22-23 million criminal illegal aliens? What then? Are you still going to sign it, Mr. President? Are you? Right.

Clearly the President is intent on circumventing Congress to legalize 22-23 million "undocumented Democrats" under the guise of "immigration reform", threatening, as he is, to commit one of the most egregious and treasonous political pandering acts ever committed by an American citizen.

No amount of PC can hide that reality.

It simply is what it is.

Are you ranting at Obama or actually posting a thread to spark discussion? With you, it's rather hard to tell.

Meaning he would grant 22-23 million illegal aliens, who simply are not "immigrants", legal authority to keep the jobs and living space and classrooms etc. they stole from his fellow American citizens. Sounds rather treasonous to me, Mr. President.
"Experts told us Obama indeed has broad executive power over deportations and granting temporary work permits. But it’s a stretch to say he could legally offer all undocumented immigrants that deal.

If he wanted to order a stay of deportations across the board, he would have to provide a strong justification, such as a lack of resources to do the job, said Robert Delahunty, a University of St. Thomas School of Law professor who co-authored an argument against the constitutionality of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.

"But he could do that only briefly, and only in what I’d consider pretty extreme circumstances," Delahunty said.

On the other hand, the country’s immigration laws grant Obama and the Department of Homeland Security lots of wiggle room in granting temporary work permits and refusing to widely deport people, said Alex Nowrasteh, an immigration policy analyst at the libertarian Cato Institute. A widespread stay, though, would be "a crazy scenario," he said.

Even some of Obama’s loudest critics on immigration policy don’t think he would go that far.

"It could be done. Obama’s gotten away with as much, but I don’t think he’d do it," Krikorian said. "That would be a bridge too far even for the pusillanimous appeasers among Republicans in Congress."

Experts thought it more conceivable that Obama would chip away at the undocumented immigrant population little by little by building on the deferred action policy for children who came to the country as minors. An expansion would have to come with caveats, such as cut-off dates and clean criminal histories.

"It would be the mother of all political battles," said Carl Hampe, a private immigration lawyer who was counsel for the Senate subcommittee on immigration from 1983 to 1991 and worked for the Department of Justice under President George H.W. Bush. "As a purely theoretical legal question, is there a plausible argument that the president has that legal authority? Some would argue yes."

There’s also an argument that halting deportations alone would do little to offer relief to the country’s millions of unauthorized immigrants. They would still be in a legal limbo because most of the 400,000 or so people currently being deported are those who’ve committed crimes, said Lynden Melmed, who served as former chief counsel of the Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services during the George W. Bush administration." http://www.politifact.com/florida/s...rubio-fears-obama-could-basically-legalize-a/

Are you ranting at Obama or actually posting a thread to spark discussion? With you, it's rather hard to tell.

The point is that the POTUS alone does not have the power to make US immigration law/policy any more than he has the power to make US tax, environmental or education law/policy. Once we decide that the POTUS can make US law/policy without the need for our congress critters "to act" then we have but one elected federal representative and his (appointed for life) nine robed umpires (that may, or may not, accept a challenge flag).

EDIT: The POTUS now asserts a power to enforce "laws that he likes" and, by extension, ignore the enforcement of "laws that he dislikes".

Last edited:
The point is that the POTUS alone does not have the power to make US immigration law/policy any more than he has the power to make US tax, environmental or education law/policy. Once we decide that the POTUS can make US law/policy without the need for our congress critters "to act" then we have but one elected federal representative and his (appointed for life) nine robed umpires (that may, or may not, accept a challenge flag).

EDIT: The POTUS now asserts a power to enforce "laws that he likes" and, by extension, ignore the enforcement of "laws that he dislikes".

Except immigration is entirely different from the other issues you just mentioned. Obama was specifically given those powers by a Congress that refused to get off it's ass and come up with something themselves.

Sorry Conservatives, Obama is Not Acting Lawlessly on Immigration - Hit & Run : Reason.com

As a libertarian, I am generally leery of expansive executive power. But this particular issue is far more complicated than most are letting on.

Last edited:
show the outrage

then ponder who was the last president to offer citizenship to illegals
now ponder your outrage about something that has not happened

and something which will not happen consistent with the misrepresentative thread title

but the OP's fabrication would make goebbels proud

Except immigration is entirely different from the other issues you just mentioned. Obama was specifically given those powers by a Congress that refused to get off it's ass and come up with something themselves.

Sorry Conservatives, Obama is Not Acting Lawlessly on Immigration - Hit & Run : Reason.com

As a libertarian, I am generally leery of expansive executive power. But this particular issue is far more complicated than most are letting on.

When, exactly, did the "immigration system" become insane? The idea that Obama (the POTUS), and Obama (the POTUS) alone, can accept (or veto) changes to immigration law while at the same time has the power to do basically as he pleases seems to require our congress critters to make only veto proof changes to the law.

I feel that the Obama campaign promise to reform immigration law is more of a, face saving (legacy?), need than a public mandate for change. This need to unilaterally fix the immigration system did not exist until Obama saw no hope for demorats facing re-election supplying him the needed votes for his desired change.

There is absolutely no need to grant a "path to citizenship" to those that simply decided to enter (or remain in) the US without legal authority to do so. Obama seeks to retroactively approve their entry (or remaining in) the US - effectively thumbing his nose at those patiently waiting in their country of origin.

What percentage of these future citizens does anyone think will ever vote for the xenophobes on the right who hate, fear and despise them?

Give us your best guess.

"Illegal immigration can never be completely stopped, no matter how high the wall or how many patrol agents you have watching it."
~ Gail Collins

Last edited:
What percentage of these future citizens does anyone think will ever vote for the xenophobes on the right who hate, fear and despise them?

Give us your best guess.

"Illegal immigration can never be completely stopped, no matter how high the wall or how many patrol agents you have watching it."
~ Gail Collins

Then don't allow them to vote as a cost of amnesty.

I'd be OK with that.

The only president that has ever granted amnesty to illegal immigrants was Ronald Reagan. We don't have to worry about Obama: we have to worry about Republicans.

The only president that has ever granted amnesty to illegal immigrants was Ronald Reagan. We don't have to worry about Obama: we have to worry about Republicans.

Actually I see that as one of Reagan's few redeeming factors.

When, exactly, did the "immigration system" become insane? The idea that Obama (the POTUS), and Obama (the POTUS) alone, can accept (or veto) changes to immigration law while at the same time has the power to do basically as he pleases seems to require our congress critters to make only veto proof changes to the law.

I feel that the Obama campaign promise to reform immigration law is more of a, face saving (legacy?), need than a public mandate for change. This need to unilaterally fix the immigration system did not exist until Obama saw no hope for demorats facing re-election supplying him the needed votes for his desired change.

There is absolutely no need to grant a "path to citizenship" to those that simply decided to enter (or remain in) the US without legal authority to do so. Obama seeks to retroactively approve their entry (or remaining in) the US - effectively thumbing his nose at those patiently waiting in their country of origin.

So is this denial that Congress granted him statutory power over immigration and urged him to act on it because they refused?

Btw, that's not accurate. Reagan did sign the bill, but it was enacted by a democrat house and republican senate. Came from a bipartisan committee. As it was there were increased enforcement measures included along with the amnesty provision.

So is this denial that Congress granted him statutory power over immigration and urged him to act on it because they refused?

Congress cannot grant statutory power to the Executive. Further refresher courses in government are needed for you.

No this is asking why a campaign promise for action by Obama during his first term (when virtually anything, even PPACA, could be passed using only demorat votes) was delayed and then suddenly reaches "critical mass" right after the last congress critter election of his second (and last) term. If it is a good idea, the right thing to do and totally within his power then why did Obama wait 6 years to do it?

No this is asking why a campaign promise for action by Obama during his first term (when virtually anything, even PPACA, could be passed using only demorat votes) was delayed and then suddenly reaches "critical mass" right after the last congress critter election of his second (and last) term. If it is a good idea, the right thing to do and totally within his power then why did Obama wait 6 years to do it?

I'm not denying his incompetance, I'm not fan of Obama by any stretch of the word. Why did he wait? Who ****ing knows. My issue here is the idea that Obama is acting like some big bad tyrant because he is using the powers given to him by the same Congress repuditating him. Congress told him to act on his own. He is. Now they are pissed. It's ridiculous.

Reagan went along with amnesty under the presumption that the border security situation would be improved as well.

Btw, that's not accurate. Reagan did sign the bill, but it was enacted by a democrat house and republican senate. Came from a bipartisan committee. As it was there were increased enforcement measures included along with the amnesty provision.
Look at how people make excuses for Reagans failings. The doublethink and duckspeak is strong around here.

Give us your best guess.

~ Gail Collins

Characterizing it as xenophobes is hardly accurate.

The reality is far closer to enforcing existing laws, and looking for ways to prevent continued illegal immigration (including overstaying visas) in the future.

Which never happened, as I recall.

DemocratsLucypullsFootballoutfromunderEstablishmentRepublicansCharlieBrown_zps71973607.png

Doesn't seem reasonable to expect any sort of enforcement parts of an compromise legislation to be implemented.

The only president that has ever granted amnesty to illegal immigrants was Ronald Reagan.
We don't have to worry about Obama: we have to worry about Republicans.

Republicans know they're being disingenuous in making excuses for Reagan on amnesty.
Just as they saw no problem with deficits, millions of illegals, negative GDP, food stamps and all the rest until Obama was sworn in.

Boehner closing Congress on July 31st without acting on immigration until after the election was a calculated political gamble that worked.
Reelected Gov. Branstad of Iowa is on record saying that Dems were damned if they did an executive order before the election and damned if they didn't .

Which never happened, as I recall.

DemocratsLucypullsFootballoutfromunderEstablishmentRepublicansCharlieBrown_zps71973607.png

Doesn't seem reasonable to expect any sort of enforcement parts of an compromise legislation to be implemented.

Democrats have run the "Wimpy" play on republicans way too often.

wimpy.jpg

Their version is actually, "We will gladly make promises that we'll never keep in order to pass legislation we want today." And just as you pointed out, republicans have run the "Charlie Brown kicking football" play way too many times in response.

Back
Top Bottom