• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

Obama Tax Supporters=What is more Important to You

• Saving the tax cuts for yourself (and the rich)

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Sticking it to the rich with a tax hike for everyone

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters
something tells me that if the tax-cuts expire, we will be hearing a lot more whining from the wealthy & their supporters, than from the middle-class.

Math is not your strong suit then. The bottom federal income tax bracket rate would go up 50%, from 10% to 15%. That is far more than the top income tax bracket rate increases. Think, before you drink, even Koolaid.

A good start would be to actually cut duplicate/overlapping gov't spending programs. Doing STUPID things, even if "bipartisan", like subsidizing student loan contract interest rates for ONE year, and then raising taxes to "pay for" it is insane. REAL reductions in gov't spending are required, but TARGETTED to specific WASTE, not silly "accross the board" nonsense. Why have things like a NASA art program, cowboy poetry festival or federal gang violence programs? There is no end to the "nice" things that our FEDERAL gov't can do, yet that does NOT make it right. Cutting the entire DOEd would be a great start.

Thank you. Do you have an estimate of how much that would save when you save the cowboy poetry festivals?

Many different animals may be seen at the zoo, but that was not related to my post either. The rich are not rich because they are stupid, they are CORRECTLY waiting to see if the federal gov't can get its act together, perhaps even pass a "budget". None are likely to expand (hire) in times that the gov't is threatening much higher taxes, stricter "environmental" regulations and mandating ever more expensive medical care insurance benefits. Many see that the federal gov't will soon consume even more than 25% of GDP, and KNOW that they are the ones that will be called upon to pay their "fair share" (i.e. much more) in taxes.

More nonsense. What do taxes or passing budgets have to do with the need for more employees? Business's hire people when there is demand for the work they do. The Govt. doesn't consume it spends and increased Govt. spending increases demand for workers. Your buddies in the House agree and have said that the defense cuts will cost millions of jobs (not to mention millions of $ of campaign contributions too) and they are right for a change. Simply normalizing taxes on the top brackets will allow us to keep that defense spending and all those jobs. What do you think?

Last edited:
Math is not your strong suit then. The bottom federal income tax bracket rate would go up 50%, from 10% to 15%. That is far more than the top income tax bracket rate increases. Think, before you drink, even Koolaid.

If the rates go up for the 95% it will be the Republicans to blame, same with the new Defense Cuts. We wil see if the GOP wants the fallout from that.

Thank you. Do you have an estimate of how much that would save when you save the cowboy poetry festivals?

Typical of the left, it is ALL small stuff, so fund it forever, as it is so small. Even the GAO sends congress CONSTANT reports on waste, yet congress does not act. For EVERY federal program there is a lobbyist or contributor that "needs" that spending. You see adding $85 billion in tax money as progress, many see it as simply waste since NO change in policy accompanies it. The federal beast as an unending appetite, so it must be fed. Yes he can!

Actuallly either the tax rates go back to normal for the top brackets or the sequestration defense cuts will be implemented in full. Your choice.

No, those are not the only choices.

I prefer tax rates staying as they are right now...preferably making them permanent. And, since Congress can't bring themselves to cut anything, I also prefer ALL of the sequestration cuts being implemented in full...not just the defense cuts.

Typical of the left, it is ALL small stuff, so fund it forever, as it is so small. Even the GAO sends congress CONSTANT reports on waste, yet congress does not act. For EVERY federal program there is a lobbyist or contributor that "needs" that spending. You see adding $85 billion in tax money as progress, many see it as simply waste since NO change in policy accompanies it. The federal beast as an unending appetite, so it must be fed. Yes he can!

Do you have an estimate of how much that would save when you defund the cowboy poetry festivals that you mentioned?

Then let me tell you something I believe in completely: a strong middle class relies on neither the rich nor the government.

Perhaps in fairytale libertarian land. US history however shows the middle class was created by government programs that broke the domination by the robber barons.

Try this simple experiment: go to a wealthy neighborhood and seek work, now go to a poor neighborhood and seek work. In which neighborhood did you find more work? I tend to get 95% of my work from those in the wealthier neghborhoods, you may have had a different experience; please feel free to share that with us.

What jobs have the wealthy created lately? Why has their wealth increased steadily but jobs have not? Trickle down economy obviously does not work. I'm not syaing I know what does work just that the wealthy are not contributing to job growth.

Actuallly either the tax rates go back to normal for the top brackets or the sequestration defense cuts will be implemented in full. Your choice.

It appears the sequestration deal the GOP forced is going to come back to bite them.

Nonsense. Can you back this "fact" up?

Just look at the lack of job creation from the last decade of tax cuts for the wealthy. That's enough proof for the millions whose jobs have been off-shored.

Last edited:
It appears the sequestration deal the GOP forced is going to come back to bite them.

You seem to forget that the Democrats bought into sequestration, so they are just as responsible for it's implementation as the Republicans.

You seem to forget that the Democrats bought into sequestration, so they are just as responsible for it's implementation as the Republicans.

Sequestration was only devised because the GOP tried to prevent the government from honoring its past financial commitments. I love the irony of GOP now becoming frantic over an actual cut in spending.

Last edited:
Just look at the lack of job creation from the last decade of tax cuts for the wealthy. That's enough proof for the millions whose jobs have been off-shored.

But I am constantly assured by Obama (in speaches and ads), that using these very SAME tax rates that we have had many consecutive months of steady job growth, and that he is now seeing jobs being "on-shored" as well. How can BOTH you and Obama be correct, if the federal tax rates are the same, yet the job observations are different?

Sequestration was only devised because the GOP tried to prevent the government from honoring its past financial commitments. I love the irony of GOP now becoming frantic over an actual cut in spending.

Well, I appreciate your spin, but the reality is that the GOP was trying to hold the Democrats to cutting spending in return for allowing increased borrowing.

Now, the Democrats not only want to not cut spending, but they want to increase borrowing AND increase taxes. They are even willing to allow tax rates to increase on the middle class if they don't get their way.

You see, spin works both ways.

But I am constantly assured by Obama (in speaches and ads), that using these very SAME tax rates that we have had many consecutive months of steady job growth, and that he is now seeing jobs being "on-shored" as well. How can BOTH you and Obama be correct, if the federal tax rates are the same, yet the job observations are different?

The economy is not growing quickly enough, all agree with this, even though the stimulus and middle class tax cuts by the president helped.

The poll is missing a word. It should say "Obama tax CUT supporters."

That's right, ladies and gentlemen. Say it with me: Obama cut taxes. :)

And oh yeah, our lovely House of Representatives has announced that they will not take up the extension of the middle-class tax cuts and the Obama tax cuts.

The poll is missing a word. It should say "Obama tax CUT supporters."

That's right, ladies and gentlemen. Say it with me: Obama cut taxes. :)

And oh yeah, our lovely House of Representatives has announced that they will not take up the extension of the middle-class tax cuts and the Obama tax cuts.

Uhmm what taxes are being cut?

Well, I appreciate your spin, but the reality is that the GOP was trying to hold the Democrats to cutting spending in return for allowing increased borrowing.

Now, the Democrats not only want to not cut spending, but they want to increase borrowing AND increase taxes. They are even willing to allow tax rates to increase on the middle class if they don't get their way.

You see, spin works both ways.

The Democrats in their tax proposal that just passed in the Senate included $2.50 in spending cuts for every $1 of revenue increase.

Additionally:

"If the government failed to raise the ceiling, a large segment of the population would be affected.

Treasury Bondholders

If you own Treasury bonds, you would be severely out of luck. Failing to increase the debt ceiling would hit bondholders’ right in the wallet as they would be unable to receive interest payments. The United States would default on its bond payments and would see its credit rating fall dramatically. Investors would have a difficult time trusting the United States to honor its obligations and demand for long term United States debt would fall.

Social Security Recipients

The next group of people to be hit would be those individuals that rely on Social Security to meet their monthly bills."

Loan Borrowers

"The danger of default will lead to increased risks for owning U.S. bonds. Increased risks equal higher rates. Business loan borrowers and individuals looking for personal loans would see their borrowing costs rise astronomically. If you were seeking a home or auto loan, you should expect to see drastically higher rates since access to credit would be at a premium. Higher rates corresponding with a weaker dollar would further weaken the economy."

http://buylikebuffett.com/government/what-would-happen-if-the-government-does-not-raise-the-debt-ceiling/

No, those are not the only choices.

I prefer tax rates staying as they are right now...preferably making them permanent. And, since Congress can't bring themselves to cut anything, I also prefer ALL of the sequestration cuts being implemented in full...not just the defense cuts.

The cuts for the top brackets are history as is the 15% capital gains rate, get used to it. If the GOP wants to kill their chances with 95% of voters they can cut off their noses to spite their face and let everyones taxes go up. That's always an option. I just doubt they will fall on their swords for the T's. Remember, all taxpayers get a break on income below $250,000 if the Democratic plan is passed.

Last edited:
Yeah, from 35% to 39%, wild crazy ****.

But I said nothing that wasn't ture. The top would not trade places with those below. The are crying crocodile tears, playing victim. But, they know they don't want to be where others are.

that is an idiotic justification for raising taxes. It would be like telling Roger federer that they are only going to allow him to win one major in a year and justify it by saying he still wouldn't trade places with 50000 other tennis players.

the fact is, the masses think that other people should pay more so they, the masses, can have more

Obama will say either defense sequestration cuts go ahead in full or taxes go back to NORMAL for the top bracket. You choose. The Bush tax cuts have always been temporary, I know you think they are the gift that keeps on giving, but the reason they have ALWAYS been temporary is they cost too damn much. You top bracket people have really been cleaning up lately and the "extra" money the Govt. was taking that Bush based the cuts on for those gifts is long gone.
But you should also remember that you will get the same break the lower brackets get if they keep those cuts at least until the economy has recovered. You will still get the same tax cuts on all your income below $250,000 so don't be so smug about an all or nothing ultimatum. Obama made it VERY clear 2 years ago, those top bracket cuts will NOT be renewed again while he is President. Believe him.

Its easy picking apart the emotobabbling arguments of the parasite support team members

the NORMAL TAX RATE is what we have had for 10 years-not the clinton rates that were around for LESS time

you just make assumptions that taxing the rich MORE is normal which of course is moronic

Obama lied once about taxes, and the good news is I doubt he will be anything more than a lame duck

"gifts"

LOL-the gifts are what the bottom 95% get from the top 5% who pay more of the taxes than the rest of the country

Its easy picking apart the emotobabbling arguments of the parasite support team members

the NORMAL TAX RATE is what we have had for 10 years-not the clinton rates that were around for LESS time

you just make assumptions that taxing the rich MORE is normal which of course is moronic

Obama lied once about taxes, and the good news is I doubt he will be anything more than a lame duck

"gifts"

LOL-the gifts are what the bottom 95% get from the top 5% who pay more of the taxes than the rest of the country

So you won't give up your tax cuts to save the defense budget but you will give them up if everyones taxes go up. Interesting. You do see that no matter what your taxes are going up and they will go up MORE if all the cuts are eliminated. That has got to be a first for you...wanting to pay more taxes. Kudos for that.
The Govt. has been spending 20% of GDP for the last 20 years and revenues are at 15% of GDP now. Does that make it more clear why the Bush tax cuts are temporary?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom