• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama talks up gas drilling, alternatives to cap and trade

apdst

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Oh, boy, the treehuggers are going to be pissed off as hell over this!

"We've got, I think, broad agreement that we've got terrific natural gas resources in this country," Obama said. "Are we doing everything we can to develop those?"

He has to do something and the oil and gas industry is the only industry that can puts job out there, right now.

He can say what he wants about the election, but he's 25 pounds lighter, now, because he spent most of Tuesday night ****ting his pants. He knows what's on the line.

NW Louisiana, Texas, Pennsylvania, The Dakotas, Colorado, Wyoming and yes, The Gulf of Mexico--where the largest gas pockets in the world are at--would benefit greatly from ramped up natural gas exploration and production.

I think the thing he probably regrets the most--post midterm--is the drilling moratorium. He looked like a total clown, shutting down an entire industry, just to further his agenda, in the middle of a recession, with 9% unemployment.

I don't think it'll get him re-elected. Too little, too late, not to mention all the treehugger votes he might lose. It's going to be funny to watch all the treehuggers foam at the mouth over all that frac'n going on.

Hopefully Obama will come out more strongly in favor of nuclear power. He voiced token support for the industry in the State of the Union this year, but hasn't taken much action. I think nuclear power may be an issue where Obama and the House Republicans can find some common ground, and work together to expand the industry. Nuclear power would be one of the safest and most effective ways to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels without heavy-handed mandates like cap and trade.

Natural gas exploration is all well and good, but it doesn't really help solve any of our energy problems.

Last edited:
Hopefully Obama will come out more strongly in favor of nuclear power. He voiced token support for the industry in the State of the Union this year, but hasn't taken much action. I think nuclear power may be an issue where Obama and the House Republicans can find some common ground, and work together to expand the industry. Nuclear power would be one of the safest and most effective ways to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels without heavy-handed mandates like cap and trade.

Natural gas exploration is all well and good, but it doesn't really help solve any of our energy problems.

I believe Obama sees that he needs to deliver, something, anything and he needs to do it, now. Nukes, while not a bad idea, aren't going to deliver those immediate results that he's looking for.

I believe Obama sees that he needs to deliver, something, anything and he needs to do it, now. Nukes, while not a bad idea, aren't going to deliver those immediate results that he's looking for.

Massive construction projects create a ton of jobs. Nuke plants are high-tech, so they're quality jobs, and it's way better for the environment than any fossil fuel.

Massive construction projects create a ton of jobs. Nuke plants are high-tech, so they're quality jobs, and it's way better for the environment than any fossil fuel.
Solar, tidal, and geo-thermal are even BETTER for the environment, even cheaper, and still give you the same benefit of jobs :)

Plus the added benefit of safety.

pres BO moving to the right, we see. if he pursues this, or even nuclear power, his base is going to be pissed as hell. The only problem that I have with it is that it'll work, and make him look good, lol :p

Nuke plants are going to require billions of dollars worth of government backing. Gas rigs are on the ground, ready to go, today.

He needs to show some results and the results he needs to show is a more business-friendly attitude. If he doesn't change his attitude toward business and the unemployment rate doesn't gow down by 3+ points, he can start packing his **** in December of 2012.

Solar, tidal, and geo-thermal are even BETTER for the environment, even cheaper, and still give you the same benefit of jobs :)

Show us all the jobs that would be created.

Not as many, in general, but yes, they do create jobs. Nuclear would be far cheaper if our plant approval process weren't so outrageously convoluted and time-consuming.

Nuke plants are going to require billions of dollars worth of government backing. Gas rigs are on the ground, ready to go, today.

He needs to show some results and the results he needs to show is a more business-friendly attitude. If he doesn't change his attitude toward business and the unemployment rate doesn't gow down by 3+ points, he can start packing his **** in December of 2012.

They only require that government backing because the regulatory process for approving a plant takes so damned long that investors are too afraid to jump in unless they have a guarantee from Uncle Sam.

It sounds to me like he's supporting American natural gas jobs. Is that not more business friendly?

I could be wrong, but I don't think he'll go down that road because he's not interested in solutions that aren't on his to-do list. This ain't one of them. If I'm wrong, feel free to flame me when he starts pushing nuclear power.

Back
Top Bottom