• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Obama Sweeps Races

the makeout hobo

Rockin' In The Free World
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Obama sweeps races - 2008 Presidential Campaign Blog - Political Intelligence - Boston.com

Wow, this was a ridiculously good night for Obama, better than even I expected. Obama won in Nebraska and Washington by a 2-to-1 margin, and won Louisiana by double digits. Add to that his overwhelming victory in the little virgin islands, and I think we can safely consider this a rout. I know that this was favorable ground for him, but he still did very good. We'll see if this momentum will translate tomorrow into Maine, but I'm hoping it does.

Obama sweeps races - 2008 Presidential Campaign Blog - Political Intelligence - Boston.com

Wow, this was a ridiculously good night for Obama, better than even I expected. Obama won in Nebraska and Washington by a 2-to-1 margin, and won Louisiana by double digits. Add to that his overwhelming victory in the little virgin islands, and I think we can safely consider this a rout. I know that this was favorable ground for him, but he still did very good. We'll see if this momentum will translate tomorrow into Maine, but I'm hoping it does.

Yeah, I think the momentum will carry over to Maine tomorrow. I've heard some analysts say that Clinton may be swept all the way through next Tuesday and up until Wisconsin and Hawaii vote on February 19. If that would happen (meaning Obama wins Maine, Maryland, D.C., and Virginia), Obama would have tons of momentum and I'm not sure he could be stopped. This was definitely a big day for Obama, and I'm starting to think that Obama is starting to take control. There's always the question of the superdelegates and Michigan and Florida, of course, but I think that if Obama wins Maine, Maryland, Virginia, and D.C. he will be in great shape for winning the nomination. It's getting very interesting...

Yeah, I think the momentum will carry over to Maine tomorrow. I've heard some analysts say that Clinton may be swept all the way through next Tuesday and up until Wisconsin and Hawaii vote on February 19. If that would happen (meaning Obama wins Maine, Maryland, D.C., and Virginia), Obama would have tons of momentum and I'm not sure he could be stopped. This was definitely a big day for Obama, and I'm starting to think that Obama is starting to take control. There's always the question of the superdelegates and Michigan and Florida, of course, but I think that if Obama wins Maine, Maryland, Virginia, and D.C. he will be in great shape for winning the nomination. It's getting very interesting...

Not to mention, Wisconsin and Hawaii both look good for obama. Hawaii is his home state, and Wisconsin is in the midwest, where he is very popular. Clinton isn't regaining momentum untill march.

Maine and then Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, DC, on Tuesday.

I'm beginning to think he is going to give Hillary a lot more trouble than I predicted. We shall see this week. I'm really interested to see where the super delegates will continue to go.

Of course, the two weeks after Super Duper Tuesday were expected to be all Obama. Then comes Texas and Ohio, which Hillary should take easily. I believe that there will be no winner going into the Democratic Convention, and things will get interesting there, not to mention that the Democrats will not have as much time as Republicans to start their final run. After all, the Republican race has been decided. In every election ever held, the party that named it's nominee first has won the White House. However, with the Iraq war hanging over the head of the GOP, this year may be an exception. However, no matter which way the cookie crumbles, this year's presidential election is going to be a very close race. True conservatives will not vote Republican this year, but McCain may draw enough independents to win. My educated guess is that this will not happen, again, because of the Iraq war, but the Democrats are shooting themselves in the foot nevertheless. The Democratic party has a long and illustrious history of pulling defeat out of the jaws of victory.

Of course, the two weeks after Super Duper Tuesday were expected to be all Obama. Then comes Texas and Ohio, which Hillary should take easily. I believe that there will be no winner going into the Democratic Convention, and things will get interesting there, not to mention that the Democrats will not have as much time as Republicans to start their final run. After all, the Republican race has been decided. In every election ever held, the party that named it's nominee first has won the White House. However, with the Iraq war hanging over the head of the GOP, this year may be an exception. However, no matter which way the cookie crumbles, this year's presidential election is going to be a very close race. True conservatives will not vote Republican this year, but McCain may draw enough independents to win. My educated guess is that this will not happen, again, because of the Iraq war, but the Democrats are shooting themselves in the foot nevertheless. The Democratic party has a long and illustrious history of pulling defeat out of the jaws of victory.

Interesting factoid about whoever has decided their candidate first wins, where did you see that?

Interesting factoid about whoever has decided their candidate first wins, where did you see that?

Someone on CSPAN said it. If it had been FOX News I head it on, I would have tuned into CSPAN for confirmation. LOL.

I agree. I don't think either will have a large enough majority of pledged delegates to win it outright. Obama may very well have a majority of said delegates, but the superdelegates will give it to Clinton. If that does indeed happen, the Democrats will have some serious problems.

I agree. I don't think either will have a large enough majority of pledged delegates to win it outright. Obama may very well have a majority of said delegates, but the superdelegates will give it to Clinton. If that does indeed happen, the Democrats will have some serious problems.

The problem is where the super delegates vote for the person who did not win their state. We're supposed to be a democracy, and we the people are supposed to be able to choose the candidate we want to be the Democratic nominee. If the super delegates vote for the candidate who did not win their state, it will cause a serious uproar.

The problem is where the super delegates vote for the person who did not win their state. We're supposed to be a democracy, and we the people are supposed to be able to choose the candidate we want to be the Democratic nominee. If the super delegates vote for the candidate who did not win their state, it will cause a serious uproar.

Agreed. Well said.

the superdelegate question gets complicated. They're apportioned by congressional district. Let's say a delegate wants to support whoever won their state. Do they support who won the most delegates, or who won the popular vote? Or do they support who won their district? I suspect superdelegates will start lining up behind who has the most pledged delegates

I dont know. Would be better if the race is so close just to ignore or cancel the super delegates altogether? Then it wouldn't matter about reaching 2000 delegate limit just the amount of voted delegates? Then change the system for next time so that this will never happen again.

I dont know. Would be better if the race is so close just to ignore or cancel the super delegates altogether? Then it wouldn't matter about reaching 2000 delegate limit just the amount of voted delegates? Then change the system for next time so that this will never happen again.

It'd be nice to cancel the super delegates, but you can't change the rules mid game, that'd just be cheap.

---
Close doesn't mean anything right now. One of them has to hit 2,000 delegates or it off to the super delagates.
Yes there are many changes that should be made.

I just learned that Obama and Hillary Clinton will be in my town next week, for a live debate!
I'm very excited. I hope I can go.

The problem is where the super delegates vote for the person who did not win their state. We're supposed to be a democracy,
Where on earth did you get that idea?

and we the people are supposed to be able to choose the candidate we want to be the Democratic nominee.
The party nomination process is whatever the party wants it to be. If you don't like it, either work to change the process or find another party that has a process you like.

If the super delegates vote for the candidate who did not win their state, it will cause a serious uproar.
So it causes an uproar. Life's not fair. Get over it.

The problem is where the super delegates vote for the person who did not win their state. We're supposed to be a democracy,

I think technically, we're a representative republic.

I think technically, we're a representative republic.
That also has nothing to do with the parties' nomination processes.

Back
Top Bottom