• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama stole money from victims of Iranian terror and gave it to Iranian terrorists

marke

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
American victims of worldwide terror and their survivors have been fighting Iran to pay damages for the crimes they committed against Americans over the last 3 decades. Congress passed a law in 2012 authorizing the US to hold Iranian assets in escrow until the many lawsuits could be settled. Obama signed that law. There were 1,300 American victims seeking relief from Iran who filed suit to claim damages according to that law. Obama signed that law.

However, in January 2016 Obama decided on his own to take that money and give it back to Iran, the same day the hostages were released. 19 days later he sent $1.3 billion more to Iranian terrorists, supposedly because he thought the US owed them that money. The US was holding that money to settle American lawsuits. That was the law. Obama in essence said to hell with the law and to hell with the victims I am going to take it upon myself to give these terrorists the money under the pretense that I think it is still their money.

The SCOTUS ruled in April. 2016, that the money did belong to the American victims, not to Iran. Whew, that was close. If Obama had waited just two more months he would not have been allowed to break the law that SCOTUS upheld just a matter of weeks after he violated the law.

Obama screwed American heroes at Ft. Hood in favor of the Muslim terrorists he refused to call a terrorist. Obama screwed the victims of iranian terrorism by stealing their money before the lawsuits could be settled in accordance with ongoing legal proceedings. He screwed the families of those killed in Benghazi by lying about the cause of the terror attack. He screwed a good cops by calling him stupid for arresting a drunk and disorderly black man who was fighting cops. And many other such embarrassing and despicable things.

And democrat dupes think Trump is bad.

American victims of worldwide terror and their survivors have been fighting Iran to pay damages for the crimes they committed against Americans over the last 3 decades. Congress passed a law in 2012 authorizing the US to hold Iranian assets in escrow until the many lawsuits could be settled. Obama signed that law. There were 1,300 American victims seeking relief from Iran who filed suit to claim damages according to that law. Obama signed that law.

However, in January 2016 Obama decided on his own to take that money and give it back to Iran, the same day the hostages were released. 19 days later he sent $1.3 billion more to Iranian terrorists, supposedly because he thought the US owed them that money. The US was holding that money to settle American lawsuits. That was the law. Obama in essence said to hell with the law and to hell with the victims I am going to take it upon myself to give these terrorists the money under the pretense that I think it is still their money.

The SCOTUS ruled in April. 2016, that the money did belong to the American victims, not to Iran. Whew, that was close. If Obama had waited just two more months he would not have been allowed to break the law that SCOTUS upheld just a matter of weeks after he violated the law.

Obama screwed American heroes at Ft. Hood in favor of the Muslim terrorists he refused to call a terrorist. Obama screwed the victims of iranian terrorism by stealing their money before the lawsuits could be settled in accordance with ongoing legal proceedings. He screwed the families of those killed in Benghazi by lying about the cause of the terror attack. He screwed a good cops by calling him stupid for arresting a drunk and disorderly black man who was fighting cops. And many other such embarrassing and despicable things.

Give it a rest. Or at least provide sources.

I, too, am disappointed by some of the actions of the person who previously occupied the White House, but perhaps we should refrain from using words like "steal."

Some people use all kinds of hyperbolic speech to insult the patriotic person who is currently in the White House.

Let's not emulate such despicable individuals.

I, too, am disappointed by some of the actions of the person who previously occupied the White House, but perhaps we should refrain from using words like "steal."

Some people use all kinds of hyperbolic speech to insult the patriotic person who is currently in the White House.

Let's not emulate such despicable individuals.

At least we have facts about that former resident of the WH. That's more than can be said about the current resident.

So tell me...what would you call Obama's action?

When I see threads with such titles, I dont need to look at OP's name. Its always one of three screen names. Thanks OP, you don't disappoint. As usual, no cite either. its like they lay in bed at night thinking this stuff up.

Obama stole money from victims of Iranian terror and gave it to Iranian terrorists

80710fc1d84db95514ecb79385b9f7c9.jpg

So tell me...what would you call Obama's action?

I did not follow the Iranian deal.

So I am not informed enough to comment.

I just believe that one should not use words like "steal" from Americans when discussing a president's actions, especially at this time when some Americans are going around claiming that the current president is a "traitor" in league with Russia!

We older people remember that lawyer in the 1950s who asked this plaintive question of a Senator who -- without evidence -- was accusing people of being stooges of the Russians, too: "Have you no decency, sir?"

In my opinion, some Democrats (and their media supporters) do NOT have any decency.

Have a nice day!

The difference? Look at the titles and seriousness of the entities lined up against trump. Then look at the titles and seriousness of the entities that were lined up against Obama for these supposed Obama misdeeds. Seriously lets all take at least some comfort in knowing that rational thought in the end usually prevails. Why do rank and file Conservatives constantly bring up Obama or Clinton thinking that some how defends Trump? I hope we all live long enough to see the unfolding of history. I realize that there are some who won't accept even that. They are probably the same people who believe numerous other conspiracy theories.

Obama is literally the topic of the thread. Not everyone insists upon talking about Trump in every thread, it just seems that way.

When someone has to put together a palett of Euros, Swiss Francs and perhaps other currencies just to ship funds to another country to skirt US currency restrictions, it seems to be a worthy discussion. That is basically 1/2 of the Iran Contra debacle Oliver North came up with.

Obama is literally the topic of the thread. Not everyone insists upon talking about Trump in every thread, it just seems that way.

When someone has to put together a palett of Euros, Swiss Francs and perhaps other currencies just to ship funds to another country to skirt US currency restrictions, it seems to be a worthy discussion. That is basically 1/2 of the Iran Contra debacle Oliver North came up with.

Amid the seriousness and risk associated with current events, someone thinks it's pertinent to sophistically cast as problematic the fact that "O" returned to Iran money that belonged to Iran.
It is the dredging up now, when extant are "bigger fish to fry," of an old matter that's long since been explained in gory detail and thus resolved, regardless of whether one likes the facts of the resolution/matter, that constitutes "playing the Obama card."

Okay so Obama stole money now...that's the claim sorry but as US taxpayer I would have rather have given them 1.7b instead of the 10 billion they sued for or the 4b the court was said to be ready to award.
Obama did many things I did not agree with but one of the main ones was not fighting the right wing narrative effectively. Hopefully the next Democrat realizes just how serious it is and can fight effectively.

We’ve already been down this road. OP is completely wrong.

“The $150 billion
The 2015 agreement freed up Iranian assets that had been frozen under sanctions. Called the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, the deal included Iran and the United States, China, France, Germany, Russia, the United Kingdom and the European Union.

The agreement only affected sanctions imposed to punish Iran for its nuclear program. Iran has other assets that remain frozen.

Some conservatives have put the amount released after lifted sanctions as high as $150 billion, which is the highest of estimates we have seen. Another estimate from Iran’s Central Bank topped out at about $29 billion in readily available funds, with another $45 billion tied up in Chinese investment projects and the foreign assets of the Iran’s Oil Ministry.

After talking with officials at Iran’s Central Bank, Nader Habibi, professor of economics of the Middle East at Brandeis University, believes the actual total is between $25 billion and $50 billion.

In July 2015, U.S. Treasury Secretary Jack Lew told lawmakers Iran would gain access to $56 billion.

It’s important to know that little of that money was under the control of the United States or any U.S. bank. Most of it, Habibi said, was in central and commercial banks overseas. Furthermore, it was Iran’s money to begin with, not a payment from any government to buy Iran’s cooperation.

The $1.8 billion
The Congressional Research Service, the nonpartisan analytic arm of Congress, reviewed this cash transfer in a 2018 report. It gave a total of $1.7 billion.

That was the amount that U.S. and Iranian negotiators settled on to resolve an arms contract between the United States and Iran that predated the Iranian revolution in 1979. Iran had paid for military equipment, and it was never delivered.

As of 1990, there were $400 million in that account. Negotiators agreed that accrued interest would add $1.3 billion to the amount, which is a lot of money — but 25 years is a long time for interest to build up the balance.

The United States sent the money to Iran in euros, Swiss francs and other currencies. Trump embellished when he mentioned barrels and boxes. Reports at the time said the money was packed and loaded onto pallets, similar to how other bulk goods are shipped.”
https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...nald-trump-iran-150-billion-and-18-billion-c/

Plenty more references -
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.br...-and-1-7-billion-sorting-out-the-details/amp/
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/4441046/400-million-iran-hostage-history
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2016/08/05/money-america-iran
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/obama-bribed-iran-400-million-to-release-u-s-prisoners/
https://elections.ap.org/content/ap-fact-check-trump-base-clinton-and-iran-payment

(Past) time to move on.

Amid the seriousness and risk associated with current events, someone thinks it's pertinent to sophistically cast as problematic the fact that "O" returned to Iran money that belonged to Iran.
It is the dredging up now, when extant are "bigger fish to fry," of an old matter that's long since been explained in gory detail and thus resolved, regardless of whether one likes the facts of the resolution/matter, that constitutes "playing the Obama card."

Dude, the topic of the thread is up to the OP, not you. He isn't derailing anything, you are. If you have an issue with his post, debate him--that is the point of the thread.

If Obama had just wired US currency instead of a physical pallet of foreign currencies, should he have been prosecuted for violating the currency embargo?

The difference? Look at the titles and seriousness of the entities lined up against trump. Then look at the titles and seriousness of the entities that were lined up against Obama for these supposed Obama misdeeds. Seriously lets all take at least some comfort in knowing that rational thought in the end usually prevails. Why do rank and file Conservatives constantly bring up Obama or Clinton thinking that some how defends Trump? I hope we all live long enough to see the unfolding of history. I realize that there are some who won't accept even that. They are probably the same people who believe numerous other conspiracy theories.

Because that's all these people know. Fox news has taught them this nonsense. That's what Fox news does. you don't think that if Obama was actually guilty of something the republicans who have shame at all would not have tried to take him down? All those bengazi and email investigation amounted to absolute ****. Right wingers are just a despicable lot, they can't help their stupidity and their lack of facts an arguments, just use troll ploys to deflect and post nonsense

Obama is literally not President anymore. Nobody cares. He's absolutely right - this kind of idiotic thread is a deflection from real current events.

Obama is literally not President anymore. Nobody cares. He's absolutely right - this kind of idiotic thread is a deflection from real current events.

Read the Title. If you don't like it or think it is BS, then don't open/participate on the thread. It is the compulsive people on these forums that muck up the discussions. Basically there is only 3 approved topics: Bash Trump, Defend Trump, or bash the other side who are obviously idiots. Think about that the next time you post. It would be refreshing.

Dude, the topic of the thread is up to the OP, not you. He isn't derailing anything, you are. If you have an issue with his post, debate him--that is the point of the thread.

If Obama had just wired US currency instead of a physical pallet of foreign currencies, should he have been prosecuted for violating the currency embargo?

Red:

17evd2.jpg

Read the Title. If you don't like it or think it is BS, then don't open/participate on the thread. It is the compulsive people on these forums that muck up the discussions. Basically there is only 3 approved topics: Bash Trump, Defend Trump, or bash the other side who are obviously idiots. Think about that the next time you post. It would be refreshing.

I did read the title. I did participate in the thread. That was my comment. Nobody cares about what Obama did years ago. While many of you are still tinkling your panties about Obama, the rest of us live in the present.

I did read the title. I did participate in the thread. That was my comment. Nobody cares about what Obama did years ago. While many of you are still tinkling your panties about Obama, the rest of us live in the present.

Those of you who think you live in the present are living out Groundhog day. I wouldn't want to be one of the group who posts the same crap on every single thread they participate, again regardless of which side. That isn't living. Search your own posts to see just how bloody often you use the term "tinkling your panties". I'm sorry for your issues. Post all you like, you replied to me.

Those of you who think you live in the present are living out Groundhog day. I wouldn't want to be one of the group who posts the same crap on every single thread they participate, again regardless of which side. That isn't living. Search your own posts to see just how bloody often you use the term "tinkling your panties". I'm sorry for your issues. Post all you like, you replied to me.

I live in the present. I don't care about this issue. Nobody does, but you Trump devotees.

I did reply to you because as usual, you had a meltdown when he correctly pointed out that you Trump fans are constantly trying to deflect to Obama. You're alone. Time to move on.

Agreed, what is the purpose of bringing up Clinton or Obama.

1. Even if you are totally convinced Clinton and Obama did illegal things and got away with them does that mean now Trump should get away with illegalities? That makes no sense. The original post assumes that Democrats always supported Clinton and Obama's every actions or decision.
2. Let's see Hillary is now irrelevant and whether she did illegal things or not the public, electoral college did not place her in power. So if we use her as a comparison to Trump then Trump should now be moved out of power
3. If sincere then this same deflection for defense of Trump should include the Bush Presidency.

Give it a rest. Or at least provide sources.

Give what a rest, discussing the powers of the president to do some things that people disagree with? provide a source? How about this:

Supreme Court Rules Frozen Iranian Money Be Turned Over To U.S. Terrorism Victims, NPR, April 20,2016.

Oops. Sorry, American victims of Iranian terror. Obama already stole the money and gave it to the terrorists in spite of the federal law forbidding that, and which the Supreme Court just upheld.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...an-money-be-turned-over-to-u-s-terror-victims

Good thing for the commandeering in chief the fact that he stole the money and gave it to the Iranians despite federal law is that the Obama administration kept the illegal transaction secret for 6 months, giving him cover to let the crime be minimized in spite of the fact that the Supreme Court upheld the very law he unilaterally illegally violated.

I actually do care, tres borrachos. And before you sneer, I am not a Trump devotee. I care because my mother's family and friends were victims of the terror regime that Obama gave a literal ton of cash to. I realize that you don't care, and perhaps no one important to you cares. But do not say that nobody cares. It is plainly untrue. Obama helped to strengthen the Iranian Revolutionary regime. We are now living with that result.

I actually do care, tres borrachos. And before you sneer, I am not a Trump devotee. I care because my mother's family and friends were victims of the terror regime that Obama gave a literal ton of cash to. I realize that you don't care, and perhaps no one important to you cares. But do not say that nobody cares. It is plainly untrue. Obama helped to strengthen the Iranian Revolutionary regime. We are now living with that result.

My bad. People who can't let go of Obama and move into the present care. Like you.

Have him arrested if he hurt your family so much. Let the rest of us move on to the present.

Back
Top Bottom