• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama: Some jobs 'are just not going to come back'

Carjosse

Sit Nomine Digna
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I was browsing Reddit this morning and this video appeared on my front page.

It is Obama talking about how jobs have been outsourced but automation has been and is increasingly making jobs and many workers obsolete, those jobs will never come back. In a hit against Trump he talks about how it is impossible to bring those jobs back from overseas and from automation. What needs to be done is education to give people the skills they need to succeed for the jobs of the future, not the jobs that have existed in the past. It is very possible that in the future working in a warehouse will require no manual labour at all, just typing away at and monitoring a computer.

I feel that many Trump supporters fail to realize that nothing can be done about lost jobs, technology and globalization have been marching on while they have not. The sooner people are retrained, the pain as these jobs are inevitability lost forever will be decreased.

Even if you disagree with my political commentary, the video definitely shines a light on and gives insight into a new economy. This is part of the reason I changed my degree to one that trains me to design and monitor the data systems that support things like automation.

Last edited:
My wife, daughters and I HAVE retrained!

We have technical degrees from the Community College.

But we won't even be considered for employment, because we are WHITE!

Instead, the jobs are going to Obama Muslim & Mexican Imports!

What part of Blatant Racial Discrimination don't you GET!?

-

-

So in other words, you are too lazy to look for a job and would rather just blame "The Man" than actually look around? Got it!

Some jobs can come back, but not all. If we stop incentivizing companies to go overseas because of overtaxation, some jobs will come back. As will the profits and tax revenue from overseas operations.

It is Obama talking about how jobs have been outsourced but automation has been and is increasingly making jobs and many workers obsolete, those jobs will never come back. In a hit against Trump he talks about how it is impossible to bring those jobs back from overseas and from automation. What needs to be done is education to give people the skills they need to succeed for the jobs of the future, not the jobs that have existed in the past. It is very possible that in the future working in a warehouse will require no manual labour at all, just typing away at and monitoring a computer.

I feel that many Trump supporters fail to realize that nothing can be done about lost jobs, technology and globalization have been marching on while they have not. The sooner people are retrained, the pain as these jobs are inevitability lost forever will be decreased.

Even if you disagree with my political commentary, the video definitely shines a light on and gives insight into a new economy. This is part of the reason I changed my degree to one that trains me to design and monitor the data systems that support things like automation.

The fact is that as automation (even partial) reduces the need for human labor it does not do so on a one job for one job basis. If I get a big fast lawn cutting machine then I can replace many other's that used to be my competition without creating a demand for their labor elsewhere.

Some automation, like self checkout lanes in retail stores, displaces hundreds of workers for the few additional jobs required to build and maintain those automated devices. The fact is, that by using better tools, we simply need less and less people working to get the same (or greater) level of production. When the nation (for the most part) went to self serve gas pumps it did not create an equal number of offsetting (alternate?) jobs in the process.

-

bull pucky, silicone valley is virtually all white

-

HAHAHAH!

I've never had a problem getting a job despite being WHITE.

I suspect the problem lies elsewhere, for example (1) you are simply lying, (2) if you are telling your truth, the problem perhaps lies in something related to genetics other than the whiteness of your skin...

Some jobs can come back, but not all. If we stop incentivizing companies to go overseas because of overtaxation, some jobs will come back. As will the profits and tax revenue from overseas operations.

Sure some jobs could come back, but they would probably be swiftly automated. If they do come back it is to automate, creating some jobs but not near the scale that would have existed originally.

Such has always been the case, some jobs fade away as humanity progresses.
Retraining is not the answer, PRE-TRAINING is.
Paying attention to world around is is how we see changes before the impact of such is upon us.

I could see early on that the need for electronics repair would be reduced. Vacuum tubes use was almost totally eliminated, electronics circuit boards and modules as well, replaced by ever smaller electronics. Eventually nearly all their functions will be replaced by micro circuits that are too cheap to repair.

By the time I was 60, the need for electronics repair was reduced to the point that we need fewer and fewer repair techs. It happens a lot, and in other fields, so try and be proactive about it.

The fact is that as automation (even partial) reduces the need for human labor it does not do so on a one job for one job basis. If I get a big fast lawn cutting machine then I can replace many other's that used to be my competition without creating a demand for their labor elsewhere.

Some automation, like self checkout lanes in retail stores, displaces hundreds of workers for the few additional jobs required to build and maintain those automated devices. The fact is, that by using better tools, we simply need less and less people working to get the same (or greater) level of production. When the nation (for the most part) went to self serve gas pumps it did not create an equal number of offsetting (alternate?) jobs in the process.

I know that but it does create some alternative jobs. It does not change the fact that people need to change what they learn or adapt to take those alternative jobs.

I know that but it does create some alternative jobs. It does not change the fact that people need to change what they learn or adapt to take those alternative jobs.

If only some of those displaced will get new jobs then what happens to the rest? Why retrain 6 people if there are only 2 new jobs? How will the lucky 2 (of those 6) be chosen?

Last edited:
If only some of those displaced will get new jobs then what happens to the rest? Why retrain 6 people if there are only 2 new jobs?

Because there is a chance they can get the job, if you do not retrain there is literally nothing you can do, but if you do you at least have a chance. That is a problem but there is nothing that can be done about it.

Because there is a chance they can get the job, if you do not retrain there is literally nothing you can do, but if you do you at least have a chance. That is a problem but there is nothing that can be done about it.

Not according to those that favor forced income redistribution schemes. ;)

That the jobs will not come back has mostly to do with the fact that we do not want them in the USA.

Such has always been the case, some jobs fade away as humanity progresses.
Retraining is not the answer, PRE-TRAINING is.
Paying attention to world around is is how we see changes before the impact of such is upon us.

I could see early on that the need for electronics repair would be reduced. Vacuum tubes use was almost totally eliminated, electronics circuit boards and modules as well, replaced by ever smaller electronics. Eventually nearly all their functions will be replaced by micro circuits that are too cheap to repair.

By the time I was 60, the need for electronics repair was reduced to the point that we need fewer and fewer repair techs. It happens a lot, and in other fields, so try and be proactive about it.
That's why today you need to be a designer (in Asia), or an installer (here)! ;)

Does everyone remember the great outcry by gas lamp makers when we invented the electric lamp? How about from the gorse and buggy people when we invented cars? There is millionaires of years of history to go through. And not once has advancement in technology ever made the human worker obsolete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not according to those that favor forced income redistribution schemes. ;)

Others seem to propose we just pretend it's not a problem for the other 4.

Does everyone remember the great outcry by gas lamp makers when we invented the electric lamp? How about from the gorse and buggy people when we invented cars? There is millionaires of years of history to go through. And not once has advancement in technology ever made the human worker obsolete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think electric lightbulbs can really be compared to the information age.

Others seem to propose we just pretend it's not a problem for the other 4.

The best solution may be to use more workers but for fewer hours (per week) each. If we were to change the FLSA mandate to use 32 (or even 24) hours, instead of the current 40 hours, per week as the point at which overtime (time and a half) pay was invoked then it just may help do the trick. After all, the whole idea of increased prodctivity through automation was to gain more leisure (free?) time.

The best solution may be to use more workers but for fewer hours (per week) each. If we were to change the FLSA mandate to use 32 (or even 24) hours, instead of the current 40 hours, per week as the point at which overtime (time and a half) pay was invoked then it just may help do the trick. After all, the whole idea of increased prodctivity through automation was to gain more leisure (free?) time.

I can't 'like' from my smartphone, but true dat!

Hahahahahaahahahahah oh you are just adorable.

Hahahahahaahahahahah oh you are just adorable.

That is what I decided to do for myself. Since I started receiving my SS retirement I reduced the number of hours per week that I work. I did so partly by using automation - i bought a 48" deck lawn tractor and can now do the same work (mowing several lots) but in considerably less time. Of course, I make the same money mowing since I am charging by the job. It will take some time, perhaps a year or so, to recover the cost ($1,350) of that new machine. Some of my other handyman work, that I used to do, I now let other workers do.

-

What a crock.
It takes a determined effort to be a victim for a white person in America to claim to be on the wrong end of discrimination. One would have to be reaching reeealy far for excuses for ones own failure, as a white American, to play the race card. Just yesterday it was an advantage to be white and educated but today it's all been turned upside-down, huh?
This is why I call it the 'right whinge'. That's pretty much what they do, whine, moan and complain.

Back
Top Bottom