• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama: Some jobs 'are just not going to come back'

That's odd. I practically only get on here via cell phone, and you see how many likes I've given. I can't imagine what the difference between our phones are.

Technology discriminates. Some 'likes' are deemed more worthy.
Hell, sometimes the technodeities don't even let me reply.

The best solution may be to use more workers but for fewer hours (per week) each. If we were to change the FLSA mandate to use 32 (or even 24) hours, instead of the current 40 hours, per week as the point at which overtime (time and a half) pay was invoked then it just may help do the trick. After all, the whole idea of increased prodctivity through automation was to gain more leisure (free?) time.

Well the only problem of that is reduced wages for all involved. Even for a minimum wage worker that is a loss of a couple hundred a month. But I guess it is better than nothing.

So in other words, you are too lazy to look for a job and would rather just blame "The Man" than actually look around? Got it!

And you are happy to blame the victims.

My wife, daughters and I HAVE retrained!

We have technical degrees from the Community College.

But we won't even be considered for employment, because we are WHITE!

Instead, the jobs are going to Obama Muslim & Mexican Imports!

What part of Blatant Racial Discrimination don't you GET!?

-

If you go around telling lies like that you won't ever get a job..... and don't deserve one either. Who would hire an angry racist like you? It's not the color of your skin it is YOU.

Well the only problem of that is reduced wages for all involved. Even for a minimum wage worker that is a loss of a couple hundred a month. But I guess it is better than nothing.

There is a trade off with any solution. Is it better to have more folks possibly needing a little assistance or fewer folks that definitely need lots of assistance? I favor more workers working less hours than having a permanent loafing class constantly in need of public support.

Some jobs can come back, but not all. If we stop incentivizing companies to go overseas because of overtaxation, some jobs will come back. As will the profits and tax revenue from overseas operations.
It's not just taxation, it's regulation too.

Silicon Valley isn't located in Santa Clara County?

About three quarters of it is according to Google Maps. But it does vary by your definition. Do you include San Francisco and anything North-West of Palo Alto? Wikipedia includes Alameda and San Mateo counties.

Last edited:
I was browsing Reddit this morning and this video appeared on my front page.

It is Obama talking about how jobs have been outsourced but automation has been and is increasingly making jobs and many workers obsolete, those jobs will never come back. In a hit against Trump he talks about how it is impossible to bring those jobs back from overseas and from automation. What needs to be done is education to give people the skills they need to succeed for the jobs of the future, not the jobs that have existed in the past. It is very possible that in the future working in a warehouse will require no manual labour at all, just typing away at and monitoring a computer.

I feel that many Trump supporters fail to realize that nothing can be done about lost jobs, technology and globalization have been marching on while they have not. The sooner people are retrained, the pain as these jobs are inevitability lost forever will be decreased.

Even if you disagree with my political commentary, the video definitely shines a light on and gives insight into a new economy. This is part of the reason I changed my degree to one that trains me to design and monitor the data systems that support things like automation.

Alot of jobs will never come back, that is the truth. The only reason third world countries employ so many people is because they are cheaper than machinery. the more we employ them, the higher their wages get, and the more they automate.

Manufacturing progresses, we do not need 50 assemblers at a plant making barbie dolls who make minimum wage or barely better when we can have machines make the dolls and 15 highly skilled highly paid techs to monitor repair and diagnose the machinery that makes them.

About three quarters of it is according to Google Maps. But it does vary by your definition. Do you include San Francisco and anything North-West of Palo Alto? Wikipedia includes Alameda and San Mateo counties.

more confusion

Many jobs can be brought back to this country. President Obama and the left want to focus on the ones that never are coming back but there are many jobs that can and should come back to this country. The left is saying there is no point in trying. Hell, they are trying to pass a new partnership to send more jobs overseas. Look at the TPP. At least Trump is willing to try something to get some of the jobs back.

more confusion I see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Valley

It includes parts or most of Santa Clara County, San Mateo County, and Alameda County. San Jose is considered to be the Capital of Silicon Valley.

So it is in Santa Clara County. It's also in San Mateo County and Alameda County. However it appearas that the largest chunk of it is in Santa Clara County.

1CWOdNM.jpg

TBvxzbq.gif

Do you have different information than that? Or are you more interested in playing word games?

edited to add another map.

Many jobs can be brought back to this country. President Obama and the left want to focus on the ones that never are coming back but there are many jobs that can and should come back to this country. The left is saying there is no point in trying. Hell, they are trying to pass a new partnership to send more jobs overseas. Look at the TPP. At least Trump is willing to try something to get some of the jobs back.

What jobs can be brought back? Most of the jobs that have gone overseas are manufacturing which would just be automated if brought back due to the cost. As for other service type jobs those are never coming back due to advances in communication technology. How would he bring jobs back? It is impossible. Do you not see the advancements in technology?

You should convert to Technoatheism in protest of their cruel and capricious ways.

I don't dare. What might happen if I did?
No, I'm safer here.

Technoatheism. Pay attention to the thread, Governess - ignorance does not get the golden seal of approvedness.
Wow. I'm a ****ing moron.

Why the hell did I not scroll up?

This is so embarrassing. [emoji30]

Back
Top Bottom