• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama Says Rangel at End of Career; Rep. Maxine Waters also Facing Ethics Woes

Probably when he used his vote to break the tie on the issue of removing regulation of the financial industry. That being the case he and his republicronies are responsible for the recession.

Link?......

This assumets that the decisions reached by their "peers" are generally correct. In ethics hearings, that's not always the case.

The bulk of the evidence against Rangel and Waters is publicly available. It's not hard to look at it and conclude that they both sought to use their influence improperly.

Say it isn't so..... do you mean to tell me that Congress Critters look out for their own? Color me shocked. :shock:

Do you happen to know who in Law Enforcement is responsible to bring charges for illegal acts committed by Congress Critters?…. And then what the options are for citizens to bring charges against those that don’t bring charges when they should?

These types of situations would be funny if it were not for the fact that these crooks are our leaders! Justice needs to be served on all corrupt officials, yet I fear just as the past has shown they will be let go without penalty. Just as Uncle Ted was convicted of corruption and the convictions were dismissed by a judge, so will any penalty Rangel or Waters are to face.

This isn't an impeachment case, it's a membership case. The relevant provision is this:

Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behavior, and, with the Concurrence of two-thirds, expel a Member.

Say it isn't so..... do you mean to tell me that Congress Critters look out for their own? Color me shocked. :shock:

Do you happen to know who in Law Enforcement is responsible to bring charges for illegal acts committed by Congress Critters?…. And then what the options are for citizens to bring charges against those that don’t bring charges when they should?

If a prosecutor has reason to believe that a crime has been committed within his jurisdiction, he may be entitled to bring charges. However, it's far from clear that what happened in either case actually constituted a crime.

This isn't an impeachment case, it's a membership case. The relevant provision is this:

Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behavior, and, with the Concurrence of two-thirds, expel a Member.

I see nothing that would stop prosecution in a criminal court for a crime.

If a prosecutor has reason to believe that a crime has been committed within his jurisdiction, he may be entitled to bring charges. However, it's far from clear that what happened in either case actually constituted a crime.

Ok, but it seems that where Congress Critters are concerned, a crime is hardly ever found, but if a civilian did the same thing it would be prosecuted to the fullest, and sentenced to the max..... so as citizens, is there any way for us to say "wait a minute bud" and get anywhere with it? In other words, is there a way to make them do their jobs?

Last edited:
I see nothing that would stop prosecution in a criminal court for a crime.

Ok, but it seems that where Congress Critters are concerned, a crime is hardly ever found, but if a civilian did the same thing it would be prosecuted to the fullest, and sentenced to the max..... so as citizens, is there any way for us to say "wait a minute bud" and get anywhere with it? In other words, is there a way to make them do their jobs?

What exactly did these Congressmen do that violated a federal law?

I doubt that you or I would be prosecuted for using our influence in the community to get favorable business deals. Congress is required to abide by a higher set of ethical principles.

What exactly did these Congressmen do that violated a federal law?

I doubt that you or I would be prosecuted for using our influence in the community to get favorable business deals. Congress is required to abide by a higher set of ethical principles.

I was asking a general question unrelated to a specific incident.

Back
Top Bottom