• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Obama reveals true elitist self.

TOJ

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Obama, at a fund raiser with SF elites that was closed to the press, described people in small town PA and other midwest states as gun toting, Bible thumping, dolts, saying the following:

they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations

When he thinks he is among his elitist friends and no one else is looking, he shows exactly what he thinks about the working class; the miners, the iron workers, the auto workers, etc.

So this it the guy that is going to unite the country? Will the Demos learn the truth about this scumbag in time to prevent handing the election to McCain?

Obama, at a fund raiser with SF elites that was closed to the press, described people in small town PA and other midwest states as gun toting, Bible thumping, dolts, saying the following:

When he thinks he is among his elitist friends and no one else is looking, he shows exactly what he thinks about the working class; the miners, the iron workers, the auto workers, etc.

So this it the guy that is going to unite the country? Will the Demos learn the truth about this scumbag in time to prevent handing the election to McCain?

I'll give this to you, TOJ, what he said was really surprising to me (and my husband). Does this change how I feel about him? Absolutely not. However, he does need to explain what he meant in stating this....and sooner than later.

I'll give this to you, TOJ, what he said was really surprising to me (and my husband). Does this change how I feel about him? Absolutely not. However, he does need to explain what he meant in stating this....and sooner than later.
Oh I am sure he and his speach writers will come up with a great sounding explaination. He will deliver it flawlessly and, once more, the cult members will bow down to the Messiah.

I prefer to believe what he says when he thinks the dumbmasses are not listening.

So, is this just hearsay, or is there actual proof that he did say this? Is there a link to a YouTube or someone's blog or something?

Additionally, if indeed he said what is alleged here, it's not like he doesn't have a point. There are a lot of people around like the ones described in the quote.

Last edited:
So, is this just hearsay, or is there actual proof that he did say this? Is there a link to a YouTube or someone's blog or something?

Additionally, if indeed he said what is alleged here, it's not like he doesn't have a point. There are a lot of people around like the ones described in the quote.

They covered this on Keith Olbermann last night. He said this, but I don't know if there is a link. Just confirming that this is the quote I saw on Olbermann last night.

I agree with you--he raises a valid point, but he did sound elitist in making the point, which is not good for him, IMO.

Check Huffington Post and/or Reuters.

This is what Obama obviously believes also. It is typical for elites and elite wannbes to look down their nose at working class stiffs, especially those in the more rural areas. We will see how that works for him in the remaining primaries and, if the Demos are stupid enough to go ahead and nominate him, in the general.

I have a feeling the good folks of PA, OH, MI, and some other swing states may have a problem with the arrogant scumbag.

Check Huffington Post and/or Reuters.

This is what Obama obviously believes also. It is typical for elites and elite wannbes to look down their nose at working class stiffs, especially those in the more rural areas. We will see how that works for him in the remaining primaries and, if the Demos are stupid enough to go ahead and nominate him, in the general.

I have a feeling the good folks of PA, OH, MI, and some other swing states may have a problem with the arrogant scumbag.

Yeah, and elitists also work for years in a job to help their surrounding community and don't take jobs in law firms where they could be making hundreds of thousands of dollars after graduating from one of the top law schools in the country. If you can get over your blinded hatred for Obama, I might be willing to take you seriously. Obviously he hit a nerve with you, huh?

Yeah, and elitists also work for years in a job to help their surrounding community and don't take jobs in law firms where they could be making hundreds of thousands of dollars after graduating from one of the top law schools in the country.
That's typical from a cult member. When he does something that cannot be defended, try to change the subject.

Have you checked out his income. I don't think he was living in poverty. :rofl

If you can get over your blinded hatred for Obama, I might be willing to take you seriously. Obviously he hit a nerve with you, huh?
I don't hate him. I just think he is a lying, racist, scumbag and would be a disaster as President. He does and says one thing when he is behind closed doors and something completely different when he thinks the dumbmasses might be listening. :2wave:

Last edited:

Yes, he thinks they are bitter. It's true, and polls reveal more people are dissatisfied with the direction of the country than ever before recorded in history, 81%! They are dissatisfied with the war, rising prices, dishonest media, health care, and jobs.

Obama was only explaining how some people cope. The real elitists don't care how they cope. Americans are so used to politicians' lies, they are shocked to hear the truth.

Last edited:
I have the feeling that this part of Obama's candidature will help him at last.

Somebody has to start telling the truth to US sooner or later regardless of how painfull it sounds...

This is what he said:

Obama under fire after fundraiser remarks | Reuters

Barack Obama said:
"You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them," Obama, an Illinois senator, said.

"And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations," he said.

I must be an elitist too, because I really don't see what's wrong with this. But then again, I'm not American either. I must be missing some essential offensive part in all of this. :confused:

As far as I'm concerned, he's just trying to understand the circumstances that have pushed people to be dissatisfied and bitter with their lot in life.

Last edited:
Is there any link to this story?

I thought Obama seems a pretty good guy. Though Im not sure where is on the whole cookie/ digestive question.

He seems to want to 'change' alot. Whats that about? Does it mean anything?

Seriously....Americans aren't bitter because for the last 25 years jobs have been outsourced or given to illegal immigrants. That's why there isn't an entire forum on DP dedicated to immigration. :lol: - People seriously. There is no frustration in America about where the jobs are going. NONE what so ever.

This is his attempt at explaining it:

YouTube - Obama Responds to McCain and Clinton attacks in Terre Haute

He just repeated the same thing. When I read about this last night I thought, "No, he could not have said such a thing running for president." Then I thought, "Even if he did, it does not sound all that bad."

Now that I have seen him say it, it is elitist, IMO. He just came off as very arrogant and egotistical. It was almost as if he believes himself to be the Messiah that TOJ says people believe him to be.

Seems to me that there is nothing wrong with voting in regard to your faith, gun rights, or anything a voter wants to for that matter. Does he believe that people should only vote for what he believes in? Should people not be entitled to vote for what concerns them most?

Obama now looks to me like the Piper playing the flute.

Dear Seantor Obama,

I am conservative voter from a small town in western Pennsylvania. I would have to say I agree wholeheartedly with your assertion about the mindset of people from small town America and their growing antipathy for the way things are going in this country. Although we may agree about the resentment toward the general direction the country is going, surely the solutions that your type is offering will never resonate with voters like me. The reason being: every solution to the problems you address involve more government. In true liberal form, the deficiencies of government's ability to solve problems always falls back on - not enough government.

Small town America is struggling to be heard in Washington and feel their appeals are falling on deaf ears. Why don't you start a push to eliminate the 17th amendment? The 17th amendment transformed the role of Senators from appointed positions that were beholden to the desires of the legislatures of the State that appointed them, to essentially rock-stars who dine nightly with lobbyists in the beltway. Senators used to be beholden to the states that appointed them, not the voters and political fads that helped elect them. This was very important because our government was intended to have one body of the legislature represent the will of the people and the other protect the rights of the state. It seems the best way to give the people back their "voice" and eliminate a great deal of lobbying influence in Washington would be to return things to the way they originally were - specifically designed to do just that.

What about energy independence? I just read that they've discovered a huge amount of oil in N. Dakota. Would respect the rights of the people of N. Dakota to have their voices heard, even if N. Dakotans may be saying "we have oil for sale, want refineries & nuclear energy like they have in France"? I know all this doesn't really jive with your plan to "punish" the oil companies for "making out like bandits" by forcing them to invest in alternative energy pans that they'd likely invest in anyhow if they actually were worth it. The oil companies actually serve a purpose - they sell gas. What about the government and the record setting gas tax? Exactly what new thing is government peddling in order to raise their demands when I'm at the pump? Besides, you guys promised to fix the gas problems in 2006 when the prices were comparatively cheap to where they are at now. Why should anybody in their right mind trust you'll make things better?

Healthcare? OK. Let me get this straight. We have nearly bankrupt social security and Medicare programs. We have an ever-increasing demand from the public dole going to fund non-discretionary entitlement programs. And the solution to all this is: the largest government entitlement program in the history of this country? George W. Bush's expansion of prescription drug entitlement was the straw that broke the camel's back to so many who were already tired of watching a good chunk of their paycheck going to things that never affect them.

Let's get to the heart of your comment though, shall we? The reason why so many "cling" to religion or "guns", is because of mavens of government like you who have for so long used the public schools & public policy as a counter to the religious & cultural values that people have a right to hold. The children in small town America generally don't have to much of a problem figuring out which bathroom they'll use in school. We don't need crosses taken from Highways or 10 commandment shrines taken out of courthouses. We understand this nation's heritage just fine & require no re-education from the state. The people small town America are also tired of you and your ilk's attitude of: "The Constitution is a living breathing document" subject to be re-interpreted to fit the spirit of the current era not the principles upon which they were originally established. It's that very attitude that brought us the "assault weapons ban" where a bunch of bureaucrats went about banning guns based to their "scary" appearance.

So yes, Sen. Obama, the American people have lost faith that government can "do anything about it".

Not me though.

I have the utmost faith that government ruling from afar - making up beltway solutions for small town problems - will continue to screw things up royally.

the silenced majority

I must be an elitist too, because I really don't see what's wrong with this. But then again, I'm not American either. I must be missing some essential offensive part in all of this. :confused:

As far as I'm concerned, he's just trying to understand the circumstances that have pushed people to be dissatisfied and bitter with their lot in life.

You know what I love?

I love that the best that Obama-bashers can come up with is innuendo, what other people say, or quotes taken completely out context.

That said, Obama's description is pretty damned accurate. There are an awful lot of people walking around who ARE bitter, who DO cling to religion, who DO sneer at people different from them, all as expressions of a frustration and an anger at a situation that they believe is beyond their ability to control.

When the root cause of your problems is either within one-self and thus difficult and painful to tear out, or within the world at large and thus seemingly impossible to tear out, it is not uncommon for people to turn to these venues/methods to vent their frustration.

There is a lot of anger running around in America, for a host of reasons, and rather than address the real reasons behind that anger, most people are redirecting or projecting it.

They do this at the encouragement of media figures who claim to speak the truth, who claim to be patriots, who claim to be "great Americans."

But sure, yeah, TOT, you're right. This is Obama being an elitist, not Obama recognizing the reality which has its roots in an America that's slowly but surely sliding into the ocea, and its blossoms in retarded talk shows and pundits.

Is there any link to this story?

I thought Obama seems a pretty good guy. Though Im not sure where is on the whole cookie/ digestive question.

I'm pretty sure he's anti-cookie.
He's quite thin.
But still, we can disagree with a candidate on one issue while still supporting his platform on the whole.

That's typical from a cult member. When he does something that cannot be defended, try to change the subject.

I feel pretty confident in thinking that you likely dismissed Hillary's lies about Bosnia. We are much more forgiving of those whom we genuinely like. I genuinely like and respect Obama. Do I think he's perfect? Absolutely not. But I don't think this is indicative of bad character by any means. Lying about sniper fire is, however.

Have you checked out his income. I don't think he was living in poverty. :rofl

Maybe not now, but back then, I think his income was pretty low.

I don't hate him. I just think he is a lying, racist, scumbag and would be a disaster as President. He does and says one thing when he is behind closed doors and something completely different when he thinks the dumbmasses might be listening. :2wave:

Riiiiiiiiiight.

What a load of political BS.

Of Course people pray harder when they're losing their job/house.

And if you honestly don't believe that many, many people strong reach anti-immigrant (not to mention anti-AA) sentiments, especially when the economy goes down, you're heads up yer ***.

What got me even more from the Reuters story was:

"Clinton visited a transmission assembly plant in Indianapolis that supplies U.S. tanks to talk about her plans to rejuvenate the defense manufacturing industry"

Uhhh....what?

The comment Obama made really do strike me as more of the same from him, and fit in well with his "typical white person" comment. He really does seem to look down on others, and it is really getting old. I do not harbor negative racial stereotypes, just because I am white does not mean I think negatively of otherraces at all. Just because I am rural does not mean I am pro-gun(I am not really pro or anti gun, mostly indifferent), I am not religious, I don't have trouble with antipathy, and actually think free trade agreements are a neccessity for going forward, and immigration is just not a huge issue with most of us rural folks in the northeast, as there really are not many legal or illegal immigrants here.

Obama seems to want to have easy ways to dismiss those who might think in ways he does not like. We are just typical racist whites, and typical ignorant rural poor, too dumb to realize that the reason the jobs are not there is because the world is changing, and our part of the country is behind on those changes. If there is bitterness, I suspect for most of us, it is aimed more at the business and political leaders who have not done enough to get our part of the country caught up with these changes.

So Obama is trying to explain himself, and I fully understand what he is saying, which is true.

Many dispirited voters believe politicians will not solve their problems, Mr. Obama argued, so they base their votes on issues like religion, gun rights or same-sex marriage rather than voting for their economic interests. Democratic and Republican critics alike accused Mr. Obama, of Illinois, of being elitist and demeaning to working-class Americans.

“Now, I didn’t say it as well as I should have,” Mr. Obama said, speaking to hundreds of Indiana voters at a rally on Saturday. “Because the truth is that these traditions that are passed on from generation to generation, those are important, that’s what sustains us. But what is absolutely true is that people don’t feel like they are being listened to.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/13/us/politics/13campaign.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

From Hillary: “Senator Obama’s remarks are elitist and they are out of touch,” Mrs. Clinton told an audience. “They are not reflective of the values and beliefs of Americans. Certainly not the Americans that I know.”

To Hillary: Most people consider being truthful to be a value and belief of Americans, but maybe not the ones you know. See Bosnia lies. I'd recommend you stop throwing stones when you live in a glass house.

Obama seems to want to have easy ways to dismiss those who might think in ways he does not like. We are just typical racist whites, and typical ignorant rural poor, too dumb to realize that the reason the jobs are not there is because the world is changing, and our part of the country is behind on those changes. If there is bitterness, I suspect for most of us, it is aimed more at the business and political leaders who have not done enough to get our part of the country caught up with these changes.

Where did you find him calling "you" ignorant, or dumb?

People of all shapes, sizes, shades and smartness take out their frustrations at seemingly unassailable issues by venting on issues they feel like they can assail. Obama, from what I've read, was simply asserting that in the context of his experiences with Main Street USA.

This is what I hate the most about U.S. politics today -- the reduction of the great debate down to the length of a sound-bite.

Where did you find him calling "you" ignorant, or dumb?

Let's look at his quote, shall we?

they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations

The "they" is people like me, rural poor. He specifically states that we look for ways to explain our frustration that has nothing to do with our frustration. That would be dumb. It is also inaccurate. For the most part, the people I know, that he is referring to, actually are bitter towards politicians and business leaders, who led us to this point, and are not helping to solve our problems(Obama in his explanation of his original comments comes close to this, except he feels we have given up hope...I don't think many have). When you accuse me of behaving in a dumb manner, or ignorant manner, you are, pretty directly, calling me dumb and ignorant.

The "they" is people like me, rural poor. He specifically states that we look for ways to explain our frustration that has nothing to do with our frustration. That would be dumb.

Actually, no, that would be human. We human beings do this constantly. It is a coping mechanism. We do it because griping about the thing which is not actually the problem is easier than dealing with the deeper issue.

It is also inaccurate. For the most part, the people I know, that he is referring to, actually are bitter towards politicians and business leaders, who led us to this point, and are not helping to solve our problems(Obama in his explanation of his original comments comes close to this, except he feels we have given up hope...I don't think many have). When you accuse me of behaving in a dumb manner, or ignorant manner, you are, pretty directly, calling me dumb and ignorant.

Do you mean to say inaccurate according to your experience?

He's seen certain kinds of behavior, and drawn conclusions regarding them.

If you're asserting that his observation doesn't cover you or your neighbors, that's fine, but he's doing the only thing that any human being can do -- seeing something and drawing a conclusion about it.

Perhaps if he'd met you or your neighbors he'd have come to a different conclusion.

Back
Top Bottom