• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama: Race Relations “May Get Worse”

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
President Obama said that if economic prescriptions of the type he supports to increase economic growth and reduce “income inequality” are not adopted, then race relations in the United State may deteriorate further

“If we don’t do anything, then growth will be slower than it should be. Unemployment will not go down as fast as it should. Income inequality will continue to rise,” Obama said in an interview published Sunday by the New York Times. “Racial tensions won’t get better; they may get worse, because people will feel as if they’ve got to compete with some other group to get scraps from a shrinking pot. If the economy is growing, everybody feels invested, ” he said

So we have gone from the hope of a postracial America in 2008 to now, when the President is threatening us with racial unrest if he doesn't get his way.

Rush Limbaugh in 2008 said that Obama's election would only make racial relations worse, and it looks like he was 100% right.

It seems to me that by saying this the President is deliberately encouraging racial unrest. If he doesn't get what he wants, then what? Riots on cue?

So we have gone from the hope of a postracial America in 2008 to now, when the President is threatening us with racial unrest if he doesn't get his way.

Rush Limbaugh in 2008 said that Obama's election would only make racial relations worse, and it looks like he was 100% right.

It seems to me that by saying this the President is deliberately encouraging racial unrest. If he doesn't get what he wants, then what? Riots on cue?

So is his private, well-funded, well-supplied army of thugs locked and loaded?

I'm pretty sure the resistance is.

While I don't agree with Obama on "race relations", I definitely see "class relations" getting worse. The more safety nets that are taken away, the people will fall through the cracks and out on the streets. Get enough people out on the streets and there will be issues. This won't happen right away, but eventually I think it will.

The government will eventually grow so large that it will have no other choice but to start defunding programs that people have relied on for generations in some families. Once those programs are cut, people will be out on the streets and the crime rate will skyrocket.

What is needed is responsible oversight to social and government programs for reform and in some cases cut completely. which is something the government is INCREDIBLY LACKING because it has grown so large.

So we have gone from the hope of a postracial America in 2008 to now
Who is "we"? The 100 delusional people everyone else in America was laughing at?

Last edited:
While I don't agree with Obama on "race relations", I definitely see "class relations" getting worse. The more safety nets that are taken away, the people will fall through the cracks and out on the streets. Get enough people out on the streets and there will be issues. This won't happen right away, but eventually I think it will.

The government will eventually grow so large that it will have no other choice but to start defunding programs that people have relied on for generations in some families. Once those programs are cut, people will be out on the streets and the crime rate will skyrocket.

What is needed is responsible oversight to social and government programs for reform and in some cases cut completely. which is something the government is INCREDIBLY LACKING because it has grown so large.

If only we had a decentralized government that can handle the issues at hand rather than creating one-size-fits-all programs. Something larger than local. If only....

If only we had a decentralized government that can handle the issues at hand rather than creating one-size-fits-all programs. Something larger than local. If only....

Not disagreeing, but you can't simply drop federal programs on all the states in their current forms. And if you try that, you WILL have increases in crime rates because the states can't afford it. Responsible oversight for reform and all together cuts is what is needed and if there is a way to guide things back down to the states, I'm for that as well. Just not cold turkey because that is only going to increase problems, not solve them.

Thats pretty funny. 97% of black Americans voted for the guy that has presided over steadily increasing economic woes specifically for the black community based solely on his skin color...but...they might riot if things dont get 'better'.

Want things to get 'better'? Then they might want to ask themselves why it is that every other race 'group' in this country does better than the collective black race group in this country. Or for that matter ask why black immigrants come here and do so much better. Or blacks from intact and successful families manage to pull off the miracle that is economic growth and personal prosperity.

The sad case is, I don't think there is a big racial problem in the U.S. with everyday folks like you and me. I think there is a very powerful engine - led by the likes of Obama - that intentionally creates racial issues out of thin air that the less educated among us soak up and bask in. It provides them a man-made "excuse" for themselves.

You never hear Obama, and especially the Sharptons and Jacksons, lecture on personal responsibility except in one direction.

The strategy is clearly to divide us as much as possible, then capitalize politically.

This is stupid. Race relations always have and always will get better. It's a simple matter of exposure in a society of increasing racial diversity and interaction.

Where is the part in the President's comments about racial unrest resulting in riots on cue?

Where is the part in the President's comments about racial unrest resulting in riots on cue?

Of course that isn't EXACTLY what was said, it's reading between the lines. Notice he didn't say class relations, he said race relations (like there aren't any poor white people). Why is that? Can you answer that?

Of course that isn't EXACTLY what was said, it's reading between the lines. Notice he didn't say class relations, he said race relations (like there aren't any poor white people). Why is that? Can you answer that?

Are you under the impression that I am in the business of explaining why somebody DID NOT SAY something?

Are you under the impression that I am in the business of explaining why somebody DID NOT SAY something?

I asked why Obama said "race relations" when there are poor white people too? He actually said that, care to respond as to why he said that?

I asked why Obama said "race relations" when there are poor white people too? He actually said that, care to respond as to why he said that?

My guess - and it is only a guess - is that the Martin case figured so prominently in discussions of race recently.

Thats pretty funny. 97% of black Americans voted for the guy that has presided over steadily increasing economic woes specifically for the black community based solely on his skin color...but...they might riot if things dont get 'better'.

Want things to get 'better'? Then they might want to ask themselves why it is that every other race 'group' in this country does better than the collective black race group in this country. Or for that matter ask why black immigrants come here and do so much better. Or blacks from intact and successful families manage to pull off the miracle that is economic growth and personal prosperity.

The black immigrant part of that is woefully ignorant of the process. Generally to move from another country to the US you have to have some sort of ability to do so and more than likely a job already lined up. Black people are not hopping the mexican border with nothing when they come here. They come from wealthier families perhaps with political connections. they are doing things like attending colleges and have either good grades or finances to back them up. In other words the immigration system cherry picks the wealthiest and most likely to do well. To be born here all that is required is you have a physically capable pair to have sex. Your assumption that the opportunities and position of american born black people to those who immigrate into america is way off.

This is why stats in the hands of people who do not want to do any learning about them are often terrible.

Well, that is your biased assumption that comes from your mental distortion of everything Obama says due to your internal hatred of him. It seems things like electing a black president has brought all the racists and idiots out of their holes and quiet corners to complain. Racism was never dead, it was just quieter. Economic downtimes have a good possibility of raising unrest in any country, and given the polarizing and antagonistic rhetoric of the right it would not take a psychic to predict that racial unrest could be pushed to a violent point. I know where you got the idea obama is threatening to march his legions of black folks out to kill whitey if he doesn't get what he wants, but that is just your delusion of a very clear statement that had no threat in it. It is not a threat to say someday a large rock will hit the earth and make life very hard. It is just something that is part of existence. You may feel threatened by that knowledge, but that does not mean the scientists who told you command the power to destroy the world with a large rock.

The black immigrant part of that is woefully ignorant of the process. Generally to move from another country to the US you have to have some sort of ability to do so and more than likely a job already lined up. Black people are not hopping the mexican border with nothing when they come here. They come from wealthier families perhaps with political connections. they are doing things like attending colleges and have either good grades or finances to back them up. In other words the immigration system cherry picks the wealthiest and most likely to do well. To be born here all that is required is you have a physically capable pair to have sex. Your assumption that the opportunities and position of american born black people to those who immigrate into america is way off.

This is why stats in the hands of people who do not want to do any learning about them are often terrible.

Black immigrants...black refugees...blacks from intact families...blacks driven and motivated to succeed. Funny how they manage to abide.

This is stupid. Race relations always have and always will get better. It's a simple matter of exposure in a society of increasing racial diversity and interaction.

You know you're only going to get yourself in trouble talking like that.

Notice he didn't say class relations, he said race relations (like there aren't any poor white people).
Where did he say that poor white people were excluded from race relations?

Who is "we"? The 100 delusional people everyone else in America was laughing at?

It's what all the liberal leaning Obama supporting media pundits were talking about at the time.

Well, that is your biased assumption that comes from your mental distortion of everything Obama says due to your internal hatred of him. It seems things like electing a black president has brought all the racists and idiots out of their holes and quiet corners to complain. Racism was never dead, it was just quieter. Economic downtimes have a good possibility of raising unrest in any country, and given the polarizing and antagonistic rhetoric of the right it would not take a psychic to predict that racial unrest could be pushed to a violent point. I know where you got the idea obama is threatening to march his legions of black folks out to kill whitey if he doesn't get what he wants, but that is just your delusion of a very clear statement that had no threat in it. It is not a threat to say someday a large rock will hit the earth and make life very hard. It is just something that is part of existence. You may feel threatened by that knowledge, but that does not mean the scientists who told you command the power to destroy the world with a large rock.

Well, maybe. On the other hand, if I said that poor economic times will make an assassination attempt on the President more likely you'd scream about my implied threat against the President.

It is surely true that poor economic times strain race relations, but brining it up in that context, the context of the President wanting Congress to do something and what with everything else that has happened, it is impossible not to see other meanings in what he said.

Brilliant observation. Clearly, race relations are on everyone's mind of late. Apparently the President thinks that he can use white fear of black violence to further his agenda. How else does a class problem become a race problem?

“If we don’t do anything, then growth will be slower than it should be. Unemployment will not go down as fast as it should. Income inequality will continue to rise,” Obama said in an interview published Sunday by the New York Times. “Racial tensions won’t get better; they may get worse, because people will feel as if they’ve got to compete with some other group to get scraps from a shrinking pot.”

Well, this would seem reasonable if the president's policies didn't shrink the pot. Maybe if businesses didn't feel like they've got to compete with government for their money, they'd expand and hire a few more folks. Maybe if Obama didn't take every opportunity to point out racial tensions and proclaim how big a problem they are, people would start getting beyond having their race be the #1 influence on their identity. After all, if you don't disregard the color of your own skin when judging yourself, how can you demand others to? Maybe if Obama would concentrate more on allowing businesses to give people additional opportunity to work by reigning in the EPA, Unions, and Obamacare regulations, there would be less income inequality as more unemployed would be able to earn an income. Maybe if Obama actually cared about all the people of this country including blacks, he would stop campaigning at people and start listening to them. I'm doubtful that will happen, because that would require him to admit that a few of his ideas are misguided and he only does that as a last resort to get votes. As he isn't up for reelection again, I doubt that is going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom